Author Topic: Heavy Duty die holder.  (Read 1465 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Heavy Duty die holder.
« on: August 28, 2019, 09:13:23 PM »
I have a story to tell. It starts out very sad, but it has a happy ending. My old die holder, which was a hand me down from my father, gave up the ghost. It was a junky piece, part of a junky set, and I wasn't sad when it finally died. I went over to my tooling supplier, and bought a nice brand new one. I had a 1/2"-13 bolt which I needed a longer thread on, so I took my 1/2"-13 die, and my nice new die holder, and set out to do so. It was very tough going, and I thought maybe I'd grown weak from being so old. So--I did what countless dumb-asses have done over the ages, and put a piece of pipe over each end of the new die holder.  No consideration was given to the thought that my 1/2"-13 die was part of the original junky set, and was duller than a hoe. This is the result.  I deserved it, for doing a dumb thing.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: Heavy Duty die holder.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 09:14:14 PM »
I thought about returning it to the vendor and lying like Hell about putting pipes over the handles, to see if he'd give me another one. I couldn't do it. If I tell a lie, its going to have to be for something a lot more expensive than a $15 die holder.--But wait!!!---I'm a design engineer, right? I'll design one and build it. So, I did.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 09:15:02 PM »
I found a piece of 1/2" x 1 1/2" steel flatbar, and laid out the shape of the center piece. Then, while it was still rectangular and easy to hold in my milling vice, I drilled and bored the center pocket for the die, and two 1/2" holes that would eventually become slots. I then cut out the shape with my bandsaw, smoothed it up on my giant stationary belt sander, and drilled the three #10-24 holes for grub screws to hold the die.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 09:15:45 PM »
Next thing to do was cut two pieces of 1/2" cold rolled for handles and weld them into the center plate. Darn I love my mig welder!!

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 09:16:21 PM »
Next amazing stunt was to grind of all the extra weld and polish things up a little. Wowser, it looks great. It would take four men and a bulldog to bend this one. So, for the low, low price of $5 for material, I have a new heavy duty die holder. Never mind the fact that if I charged for my time it would be worth well North of $150. See--Told ya the story was going to have a happy ending.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 09:27:45 PM »
.... and it probably last a lot longer than a new bought item (treated a bit better  ;):cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 09:45:16 PM »
Nicely done!

And put a pipe over a wrtench or ratchet handle? No, never. Uh uh. Not me. Not often... And thats my story, your honor!   ::) Good thing it was a Craftsman ratchet and it was back in the days they would hand you a new one with no questions asked. At least we got that flat tire off the car!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 12:30:03 AM »
Nice job on that Brian!! Should be a lot stoutervthan the store bought one. Now for a sharper die button ;)

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal