Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 steam shovel completed  (Read 9598 times)

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Chris's Marion 91 steam shovel completed
« on: August 27, 2019, 10:13:35 PM »
Hi all,
My build of a model of the Marion model 91 steam shovel is now complete. On Friday I had the opportunity to take it out to LeRoy NY, then town near me where the original machine still exists - the last of the mode 91's left. Great day out there, they had a public opening of the shovel grounds, and I helped out with talking about how the machine works. My thanks to the head of the LeROy Historical Society, Lynne Belluscio, who allowed me access to the real machine a number of times starting two years ago so that I could photograph and measure the machine in fine detail. I have given the historical society a roll of full-dimension plans for the machine to help document it, and am working with them on the new signage they are putting up in front of the machine to explain it.

The model is 1:16th scale - this picture puts the size of the real machine, with the model in front of it, in perspective:

The shovel is about 75' long, and weighs over 130 tons. It was originally a railway shovel, with two heavy duty railroad wheel sets underneath. Built in 1906 and purchased by the limestone quarry in LeRoy, it was used to dig rock that was further crushed for aggregate used in building railroad beds, road beds, and also the Mt Morris Dam on the Genessee River. It was used all the way up to 1949, when it was finally retired. The company drove it out of the quarry and parked it across the road, where it has been ever since. More recently the town purchased the land it sits on, and the historical society got it on the National Registry to help protect it.When retired, the quarry coated it in some sort of tar, which has helped protect it over the years. That coating is now mostly gone, so efforts are underway to raise funding to get the remainder of the coating stripped off and the metal properly protected. The wood spacers in the center of the boom are in poor shape, but the rest is in remarkably good condition for a machine sitting untouched for 70 years.

Here the model is shown in the same pose as its big sister - one of the people there for the event found a big rock to put under the bucket to complete the look:

For the talk portion of the day, we put the model up on the left side track:

and took off the roof and one wall to show the inside:

Here is a short video that I put together to show the controls and operation of the different functions:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvn3UPKpHto" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvn3UPKpHto</a>

This has been the most involved model project that I have ever done, with a lot of people to thank for their support! So many of you have followed along, with many suggestions, tips, techniques, references, lots of encouragement, jokes, banter, pointing out mistakes, and asking great questions that made me dig even deeper into the research of these wonderful machines.  Also, as many of you already know, my Lombard Log Hauler model build has been running in Live Steam Magazine, and the editor is planning on starting this model when that one is complete next spring. More excitement for me, now I just need to finish writing the last couple of chapters and polish up the drafts of it. The articles include full measured drawings for the models - lots of work but a great way to preserve the sequences.The model is in my collection for now, though it may wind up out at the Historical Society museum in LeRoy at some point. It will be going back out there for events and fundraising for its big sister along the way.

Thanks again to all those that have helped and encouraged me along the way, it is most appreciated! I have learned a LOT of things off of this forum over the years!

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Chris's Marion 91 steam shovel completed
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 10:49:39 PM »
Congratulations, Chris!
This is a huge accomplishment!  And a beautiful one at that!  You've been working on this for a long time and we've gotten to come along for the ride.
Thanks for including us.  It's been fun.
Kim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 10:54:08 PM »
What a beautiful model Chris. I have been following silently, looking forward to completion day. Very impressive to say the least!!!

Bill

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 11:27:08 PM »
Hi Chris , lovely model ,and great to see it working !!   and did the  Marion engineers ever make models of their products ?  and can we expect models of the other 90 in Marions portfolio !! :)  superb craftsmanship and a lovely finish...
Willy

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 11:46:38 PM »
Amazing what you have been able to accomplish in such a short amount of time.
Very nice work on the model and great to see everything working as it should.

Congrats!
Dave

Offline rspringer

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 01:12:33 AM »
Glad for you to see it finished.  But it is like my favorite TV show being canceled.  Great job my friend.

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 01:31:22 AM »
Congratulations Chris.  That is an awesome model.

Vince

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 01:32:04 AM »
 :AllHailTheKing: :AllHailTheKing:
 Just amazing work Chris! That was a quick "couple of years", I really enjoyed reading your daily updates & had troubles keeping up at times because of the speed of your progress. Learned a lot following along as well, just an exceptional thread & build. & what a great thing for the community of Leroy, I hope your presentation of the model, the drawings, & the magazine help "build up steam" in the preservation of the real thing.

Just truly exceptional work Chris, my hats off to you.

John

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2019, 03:14:59 AM »
Yes Chris...I have been here daily since day 1....a truly amazing build :cheers:....[from your history, the actual machine retired in the year I was born].........Derek
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2019, 03:27:38 AM »
No more words from me Chris it is an awesome built and seeing the final working model puts it all on  perspective. Your work is phenomenal and great craftsmanship in all its glory. ....... :praise2: nothing more to say but magnificent accomplishment!

:drinking-41:
All my respect Don

Offline Larry

• Atlanta, GA
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2019, 04:25:59 AM »
Just amazing - have followed each of your daily posts from Day 1. Congratulations !

Offline gunna

• Melbourne, Oz.
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2019, 04:30:58 AM »
I have also followed from day 1 and am so impressed, Chris. Thank you for sharing this "trip" with us, I am sure everyone has learnt something along the way.
Ian.

Offline PJPickard

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2019, 11:00:29 AM »
That model is fantastic, loved seeing it come together. OK so what's next? :)

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2019, 12:02:49 PM »
I don't now what to say that haven't already been said above ....  :praise2:  :praise2:

I followed your first build here - the Shay Locomotive - and was already very impressed with the quality of the build, but you keep up your challenges  :NotWorthy:  :cheers:

Best wishes

Per

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2019, 12:14:55 PM »
Congratulations on an outstanding piece of work! To see what you machine on your equipment is what keeps me inspired. I know it should be in a museum but it's hard when you have so much time and work invested.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal