Author Topic: Upshur's twin opposed cyl. engine  (Read 1705 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: Upshur's twin opposed cyl. engine
« Reply #30 on: Today at 12:25:21 AM »
Today I cut cylinder head fins and made up a couple of rocker arm support towers. Not terribly exciting, but it took up most of my day. There is something a little fishy about the bearing support tower in the drawing package from Upshur. Haven't quite figured out what it is yet, but there is something about the #5-40 threaded holes tapped in the rocker arm support towers and in the head.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #31 on: Today at 07:01:04 AM »
I see two little fishies

1. The thread into the head is quite shallow so you need to make sure you avoid the spark plug thread and also don't overtighten things and strip the shallow thread.

2. If the rocker post is also threaded as shown you may find it hard to get things to line up

Offline GordonL

« Reply #32 on: Today at 12:20:40 PM »
Today I cut cylinder head fins and made up a couple of rocker arm support towers. Not terribly exciting, but it took up most of my day. There is something a little fishy about the bearing support tower in the drawing package from Upshur. Haven't quite figured out what it is yet, but there is something about the #5-40 threaded holes tapped in the rocker arm support towers and in the head.

See note #9 on the Upshur drawing. The rocker arm support is not drilled through. It is fastened with a threaded stem locktited in place.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #33 on: Today at 01:03:49 PM »
Funny enough I suggested that over on HMEM, Would I had not seen the note

https://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/threads/upshurs-opposed-twin-engine.36037/post-410481

Is that note on the original Upsure drawings as I  can't see it on the MEB ones? They also show it with a single cap head screw through the whole lot.
« Last Edit: Today at 01:10:50 PM by Jasonb »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal