Author Topic: Smashed mill table  (Read 3187 times)

Offline nats

Smashed mill table
« on: August 12, 2019, 10:16:14 AM »
Hello,
I ordered a proxxon mill (new) from ebay, the guy sending it simply packaged it.... Well let say he didn't package it in fact !
What should happen happened, the heavy table is damaged, it seems to be more specifically located to one of the screw.

Asked proxxon and it seems I would have to buy a new table. I'm asking for at least the refund of the table price
(the column seems ok but... never know).  I post some picture, in case the seller accept to refund the table and that I keep
everything I wanted to know if there are someway to repair it and maybe using it for something else.

It could be a good engineering exercise ;)

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
Re: Smashed mill table
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 10:34:31 AM »
If you bought this item through E-bay you can return the item to the seller and claim a full refund.

Look at your purchase history summary page and click the "Return This Item" button. There is a set procedure: E-bay will then send you a return label to print and the postage. The seller is obliged to send the full refund as soon as they receive the returned damaged goods

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline nats

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 11:01:12 AM »
Yep, I used that option but I inspected the column fully on the bench of a friend and the column is ok.
So if I can get the refund for the table it's still interesting for me and I escape the problem of sending that back to the seller across the UE.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 11:05:57 AM »
Looks more like the endplate has pulled away from the table and also bent the leadscrew, the handle probably tool the main impact. Threaded holes in the end of the table may have stripped out or you may be lucky and just need a new screw.

You need to work out exactly what has been damaged and cost it out so that you get refunded for all the parts not just the table. Spares often cost more than the sum of the parts so you may end up paying as much for spares as most of the machine cost.

Offline nats

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 12:32:11 PM »
My hope was to have a refund of the table to buy a new one from Proxxon (in fact the table and the column are sold separatly) it's the KT230.
But I may seek for a full refund if you think it's a bad idea.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 12:51:51 PM »
Take the full refund and have them collect it at their cost.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 12:59:50 PM »
Another vote for a full refund. If it happens enough the seller will learn to package items better!!

Bill

toolznthings

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 01:49:56 PM »
Get a refund and start over. No need to buy a headache.   :ThumbsDown:

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 07:16:00 PM »
Send it back on they're dime....or quid....or whatever you call it

8)

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline doubletop

• Wellington NZ
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 09:25:06 AM »
Having spent nearly 3 months recently getting a refund from Ebay and Paypal I suggest you raise a dispute with Ebay straight away even though you are trying to sort it with the vendor. Ebay have a 30day deadline from delivery date and, although you may be working with the vendor in good faith, if you haven't raised a dispute with Ebay by the deadline they will wash their hands of you.

In my case I Ebay passed me to Paypal who have a something like a 90 period. They messed me about and even suggested I should go to Visa. I persisted, my case got closed and re-opened about 5 times. In the end the vendor failed to comply with a timed request and they found in my favour and re-funded me.

I'm not suggesting that your vendor is doing this but some vendors seem to work this system and stall by making false promises and actually do nothing to fix the problem, knowing that Ebay and Paypay 'rules' will work in their favour.

Pete
?To achieve anything in this game, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.? - Stirling Moss

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 02:06:43 PM »
Having spent nearly 3 months recently getting a refund from Ebay and Paypal I suggest you raise a dispute with Ebay straight away even though you are trying to sort it with the vendor. Ebay have a 30day deadline from delivery date and, although you may be working with the vendor in good faith, if you haven't raised a dispute with Ebay by the deadline they will wash their hands of you.

In my case I Ebay passed me to Paypal who have a something like a 90 period. They messed me about and even suggested I should go to Visa. I persisted, my case got closed and re-opened about 5 times. In the end the vendor failed to comply with a timed request and they found in my favour and re-funded me.

I'm not suggesting that your vendor is doing this but some vendors seem to work this system and stall by making false promises and actually do nothing to fix the problem, knowing that Ebay and Paypay 'rules' will work in their favour.

Pete

I had the same thing happen to me. The Vendor improperly packaged a small heat treat furnace and to top it off the shipping label was put on the bottom of the box, it traveled across the country up sided down. Needless to say the unit was completely destroyed.
He managed to get UPS to refund the cost of the furnace to him, but then strung me along not paying me until the 30 days were up. I had contacted him multiple times and he always had an excuse, with a new assurance of a check in the mail later this week.
Fortunately I had paid for it using my Visa card and they, not Ebay were able to get my money back. 

Dave

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2019, 02:41:11 PM »
I had one who failed to ship an item. Phoned them lots of times, usual excuse: stuck at docks, just sent out, courier returned item broken, next lot due in a week, two weeks, three weeks. Finally told them when you get some in email me, in the meantime I'll have my money back.

Got an email saying refund issued... Nothing coming up in Paypal. Contacted Paypal for them to sort it out... last possible day the company finally refunded my money. Then Paypal sat on it for two weeks before giving it back  :Mad: If I had not checking my Paypal statement I am betting the company would have never refunded me, as to Paypal sitting on it for two weeks   >:(

Consequently I am now a little more selective as to when I use my credit card and when I choose to use Paypal.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline nats

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2019, 03:09:43 PM »
Hello thanks everyone for advice.
The problem reached an happy ending in less than 12 hours so I'm pretty happy.
I bought the FF230 for 500€, the table is the only thing broken, the seller refunded me the price of the table
(in fact he's an individual not a company... I guess he's not used to send things across the globe).

So, I was saying the seller refunded me 250€ and I keep everything (I checked the postal price to send things
back it would have been a real pain in the coconut !). So basically I'll still have my new FF230 for 500 €
and maybe I can do something for that broken table (KT230) if I can repair it I can use it for something else
or give it to someone needing it.

I was on the way for a full refund but I think it would have been a lot of trouble (especially repackaging things
and paying UPS/DHL for that).

I'll send you picture of first part made on it :)

PS: the refund was officially agreed on the dispute I opened directly on eBay, I do that in case of trouble directly now,
I don't lose time trying to be nice, if the seller is honest the case is cleared quickly and nobody get a bad feedback.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 03:14:14 PM by nats »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2019, 10:40:35 PM »
So what are you going to do about the bent lead screw and broken handle. I am a bit confused.

Bill

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2019, 11:05:30 PM »
Keith Fenner does a nice video on Youtube on straightening a bent leadscrew in the lathe....

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeH8hSDrqi8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeH8hSDrqi8</a>

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal