Author Topic: Retirement  (Read 3920 times)

Online Twizseven

Re: Retirement
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2019, 04:33:20 PM »
Jo,

If I put chip pan oil or old engine oil on a wood shed I have a feeling I might end up with a somewhat shorter lifespan than expected.  Especially as this is expected to be partially used as a pool change room etc.  I'll be honest he thought of having to paint/treat it every year does not appeal in the slightest.

Colin

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2019, 04:35:07 PM »
In which case go for brick or block built  ;)

Steel will be very hot  :paranoia:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2019, 07:35:59 PM »
Is frame construction with vinyl siding used much over there. Looks good, low maintenance and protects the underlying wood assuming a decent roof as mentioned. Can't be relocated of course, but may give you more color / appearance choices.

Bill

Online Twizseven

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2019, 08:12:35 PM »
Jo,

Thing is it will not certainly for next 10 years be used as a workshop location (it may never be).  Looked at a few , both metal and wood today.  The wood ones felt really warm. the metal ones not so.  The metal ones had steel clad roofs with an anti condensation coating.  I am going to look at another manufacturers products tomorrow.  These use 3" x 2" tanalised frames and 1" tanalised floors and the walls are 20mm tanalised timber, so would appear to be pretty solid.  There is also quite a lot of scope for door/window positioning etc.  They have a 10 year anti-rot guarantee.  They still say it needs a treatment after 1st year but if the right product is used can wait for 5 years before done again.  This seems a better option possibly.  The wood will certainly look better in the garden, there seams to be a bit of a dearth of colours in the metal cladding and corner edging.

Bill,
I have only even seen commercial vinyl sided buildings where companies have needed an extension warehouse or similar and these have usually been with heavy aluminium framework.

I feel I am going through the same questions all the guys who want workshop sheds go through.  As it stands ther is no intention to use as workshop but just in case if do a house move I am trying to make sure the Bridgeport clone will fit and still rotate the head.

Colin

Offline Jeff Michel

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2019, 02:46:37 AM »
Congratulations on your retirement.I'm two months into mine and there's nothing like it. Enjoy it to the hilt!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal