Author Topic: Anderson/Ericksson hot air engine  (Read 436 times)

Offline Tom Jamboretz

• Retired-hobbies model engines and bonsai. Missour
Anderson/Ericksson hot air engine
« on: April 06, 2024, 01:16:42 AM »
     I have recently procured a engine kit. I have not found any information on the engine full sized or model. The plans are not to specific or complete. If any one knows of the engine I would appreciate any help that you could give.  TJ
Nothing is as sure as change.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Anderson/Ericksson hot air engine
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2024, 07:48:25 AM »
Can you post some pictures, it is not one that springs to mind but knowing the type would help.

Also is that the spelling or should it be Ericsson

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2024, 07:54:29 AM »
Does it look like this?

https://patents.google.com/patent/US646406A/en

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Usiqpow_s0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Usiqpow_s0</a>

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2024, 03:39:03 PM »
I have a casting kit that was produced by the late Paul Jacobs, I purchased mine from Paul long ago. As far as I know I have a complete set of drawings, so I might be able to help you out with the missing drawings if you have the same kit.
Yes pictures would be helpful.

Dave

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2024, 04:57:05 PM »
Dave, is it of the same subject as my link or did Anderson, Erickson do other engines at some time in the past? Would make a good subject to scratch build as the displacer on the top is quite an unusual layout.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2024, 05:44:20 PM »
Jason,

There were two books published by Lindsey Publications on hot air engine patents, this fan was in one of the books. I have seen a couple full sized examples of this fan that were scratch built. The late Gary Hart from Vancouver WA built a beautiful example of one. The guy over on HMEM (Pat?) who's dad was a model builder, also built a very nice one (his dad built the fan not him). I don't know if there are any original surviving examples of this engine. The 3rd attached photo is of Gary and his fan, he was a retired firefighter and an absolutely wonderful person, I do miss being able to chat with him.  I have high res tiff files of the of the patent drawings if you are interested.

Dave

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2024, 06:15:06 PM »
Thanks, Dave, that looks a nice engine, pity the fan blades hide some of th edetail.

Pat's Father Bob Jorgensen knew Lindsay and made several engines based on old patents and engravings he was given by Lindsay, that Ameture Mechanics one I did a while ago being one example.

J

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2024, 06:26:27 PM »
Yes, too bad that the guy that took that photo didn't bother to get a couple more views. :wallbang:

Dave

Offline Tom Jamboretz

• Retired-hobbies model engines and bonsai. Missour
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2024, 06:54:33 PM »
Here are the photos of the engine. Both patent and with kit. Sorry it took so long but we had an eclipse to watch. tj
Nothing is as sure as change.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2024, 07:23:35 PM »
I've not seen that one before, similar sort of layout to the other couple of Paul Jacobs designs that Myers Engine Works have the patterns for, particularly the shape of the table. Should like quite good when running as it seems to use a "grasshopper" type beam. Though I think I like the wall fan more.

Better images of the patent and description here
https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/4e/7c/e3/063a4dd76e6cae/US579670.pdf
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 07:28:30 PM by Jasonb »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal