Author Topic: Myers Stirling Stove Fan  (Read 1176 times)

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
Re: Myers Stirling Stove Fan
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2019, 08:13:33 PM »
Thanks Thomas!

One thing I must say - these castings are of very good quality, both in the soundness/lack of material porosity (knock wood, haven't hit any yet) but also in the dimensional quality - faces are reasonably parallel across the parts (no pattern shift or float/tilt) and bores concentric.  There is one part coming up that has some weirdness, but in areas where it won't matter (they get machined away).  I do sit and stare at that part and wonder how the heck they made the core and pattern...will post photos of it when I get to that step.

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2019, 04:39:27 PM »
Man have I been busy...or lazy.  Quick update - took the time to locate the base cover on the mini mill at home, leaving enough room between clamps to "touch off" on the machined i.d. and find true center, then bored 9/32 thru, replaced drill with 1/2" endmill and spotfaced the holes (photo below).  It's so much easier to use DRO's for bolt patterns, I'm really glad I installed them.  Oh, and I need to invest in more 3/8" nuts, had to use some spare t-nuts to get the clamping done. :embarassed:

I've also ordered and received a nice little 2" boring head that will let me do some of the more complicated boring tasks at home...but in contemplating (fondling?) the castings realized that two of them need work done on the large lathe at work (because it has a larger chuck), and the drill/mill because it has the required headroom.  But work has been busy, with me being a machinist to make assembly jigs and tooling for a new product, and then doing some R+D...and more to do today...

So maybe later this week I can get some more done?  Will see.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2019, 08:05:30 PM »
You are making more progress than me lately and I don't have the excuse of W*** now. At least it's nice to have the machines at work when you need them though.

Bill