Author Topic: Hello everyone  (Read 1336 times)

Offline gaody

Hello everyone
« on: July 31, 2019, 03:43:37 PM »
Hi everybody,

I am a total newbie here ::). Been wanting to build cool model engines since long. Now that I am a father of a half year old, I would like to get more into this just to be able to build toys for my boy in the future ;).

My favorite engine type is steam engine. I'm fascinated by steam locomotives. Hopefully I can build my own someday :LickLips:.

Anyway, hope I can learn a lot on this forum :whoohoo:

Darryl

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Hello everyone
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 03:55:10 PM »
Hi and welcome to the group Darryl. Lots to see here and learn as well. Do you have a shop set up?

Bill

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 04:29:18 PM »
 :hi: Darryl,

There are a few good starter engines like finger engines that you could make that you could both share with your little one and use to learn the skills to make more complex engines like steam engines  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 04:52:29 PM »
Welcome to the Forum  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Tom1948

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 05:20:28 PM »
Welcome, As someone already said finger engines are fun to build and you son will enjoy them. I started that way and it preps you for bigger and better things

Offline gaody

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2019, 05:30:45 PM »
Hi and welcome to the group Darryl. Lots to see here and learn as well. Do you have a shop set up?

Bill

Thanks Bill. Yes and no... I do have a small basement room that equipped with a small cnc router, drill press, belt sander and bunch hand tools. And also a half parking space in my garage for some power saws and such. As far as machining, not yet. All my tools are basically for woodworking and light aluminum cutting. I've always wanted metal lathe and mill. Just not there yet. Maybe I'll start with some wooden model first :ROFL:...

Offline gaody

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2019, 05:34:09 PM »
:hi: Darryl,

There are a few good starter engines like finger engines that you could make that you could both share with your little one and use to learn the skills to make more complex engines like steam engines  ;)

Jo

Welcome, As someone already said finger engines are fun to build and you son will enjoy them. I started that way and it preps you for bigger and better things

Thanks! I'll definitely look into that :ThumbsUp:.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2019, 09:37:15 PM »
Hi, welcome to the forum ...most engines are built with castings that have been made using wooden pattens  so you are halfway there !!!

Willy

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2019, 05:44:36 AM »
Hi Darryl,
Welcome to the forum!
Kim

toolznthings

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2019, 06:09:27 PM »
Another welcome to the from !   :ThumbsUp:

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2019, 07:53:09 PM »
Hello Darryl and  :hi:

This is a great place to learn from a bunch of friendly folks.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2019, 03:12:39 AM »
Darryl,
Welcome to the forum! I think you will find a great source info info here. Since it sounds like you have mainly tools to work with the brown stuff (wood) you might try a finger treadle engine along these lines.
http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,7480.msg157610.html#msg157610
Just convert it to use wood. sounds like you can use the machines and tooling you have to give you a start. The rest of the machines are something to aspire to. If you have a job where they have the machines maybe you can use them off hours for some metal. I am sure there are more treadle engines if you search for them.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal