Author Topic: Retirement  (Read 3912 times)

Offline johnl

Re: Retirement
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2019, 07:23:13 PM »
Congratulations. One year anniversary for me July 27.

It does take a little getting used to.

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2019, 08:24:42 PM »
Congrats!  I've a few years left, I keep reminding them of that in hopes I can train my replacement...but then again, maybe I'll be a consultant and still have access to the big Rockwell lathe for my projects? :shrug:

Offline Marcus09

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2019, 01:17:36 PM »
Congrats on the first day of retirement! Same here, I'm going to retire at the end of the August. Still can't believe it though, I was waiting for this moment for all my life  :Lol: Finally no school, no job, only personal time.. I'm planning to buy a villa on the French Riviera with my retirement bonus but I'm not sure if I will ever leave my projects and the garage of my new house :)

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2019, 05:11:17 PM »
Which one are you planning on buying?  one of the ones with a pool would work out great for testing steam launches :lolb:

mike
If you can imagine it you can build it

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2019, 05:24:01 PM »
The  Mediterranean Sea off the Côte d'Azur is not a bad alternative to a pool.

Mike :stir: :stir:
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2019, 05:26:39 PM »
Which one are you planning on buying?  one of the ones with a pool would work out great for testing steam launches :lolb:

mike
as long as there are enough spare rooms for all of us on the forum to come to vacation... I mean test steam launches.... yeah, thats it... Could take months of testing...   :Lol:

Offline Twizseven

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2019, 07:12:35 PM »
You all keep saying you don't know how you had time for work.  I thought couple of days to sort out accounts etc, and then look at the mounting for new pool boiler.  I was going to mount on frame supporting the front of an old concrete single car garage that the pump boiler etc is located in.  Went to measure up and found I could put my fingers through the 8" x 4" supporting beam. :censored:  In order to swap it out need to remove it and at this point can only see one end result, collapsed garage. :cussing:  It already leans to one side somewhat due to an inconsiderate neighbour planting and growing bushes against it.  Only one solution, demolish it and put in a new shed.

Looking at a 8ft 6" x 16ft 9" shed.  I am tempted to go for one of the metal frame / metal clad ones so as to reduce ongoing maintenance.  At the back of my mind is the thought that, god forbid, I ever have to downsize I could always dismantle and relocate it as extra workshop space.  I have a feeling that if I go for a wood one, even using tanalised timber I am likely to have to use preservative products on it at a regular intervals.

So it looks as though next month or so will be demolishing shed, sorting out reinforced base and getting new one delivered and erected (by supplier), then sorting out gas water and electric.

Further delays to getting in the workshop.

Colin

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2019, 07:27:13 PM »
Well on the positive side, you now have the time to do it Colin  ;)

Bill

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2019, 07:28:57 PM »
So it looks as though next month or so will be demolishing shed, sorting out reinforced base and getting new one delivered and erected (by supplier), then sorting out gas water and electric.

Further delays to getting in the workshop.

This all sounds familiar: My first month of retirement was resurrecting my stable to use as a lawn tractor shed to free up a bay in my garage for Minx  ::) Best get all the little chores out the way early on  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Twizseven

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2019, 07:35:50 PM »
Bill,

I guess that's the only way to look at it.  Just means I have to raid the tool fund ( and a few others).

Colin

Offline Twizseven

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2019, 07:48:46 PM »
Jo,

This shed is for the pool heater/pump, ride-on mower, lawn roller, trailer etc. so needs to be secure and solid.  So as you say get all the 'LITTLE' jobs done out of the way. :Lol:

Colin

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2019, 11:59:39 PM »
Well on the positive side, you now have the time to do it Colin  ;)

Bill

A happy shop experience and  happy retirement to you!
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2019, 03:58:23 AM »
Colin,
To much to be said after reading through this whole post. First congratulations on your retirement. Second I have fond memories of riding in an acquaintances Westfield 7 to his favorite fishing hole in the Tavistock area in about 1990, and yes we had to back up for an oncoming car. I have always wanted one ever since. The post that needs to be replaced. In a lot of basements around here to adjust for the house settling they use a... I don't know what it is called maybe a foundation jack. A tube maybe 3-4 inches in diameter with a plate on the bottom and threaded on the top. can be used to hold it in place or jack it up, or in your case hold the rest steady while the support is replaced. Just food for thought...unless you are bent on replacing the shed. The last, enjoy your dad while you can. My dad made it to 80 we weren't really on speaking terms but for the last 15 years. Wouldn't trad the last 15 of his years for anything. I'm glad we worked things out. Done with soapbox next persons turn.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Twizseven

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2019, 04:08:49 PM »
Art,

Luckily my dad still has all his marbles so can hold an argument with anyone.  He has been an engineer all his life, worked for Cincinnatti Milling Machines from when he started as an apprentice to when he retired.  He was working in his workshop till his mid to late 70's, and was doing Marquetry up until 6-9 months ago.  He is hoping to get to 100 and has 101 weeks to go. :).

Unfortunately I think the shed is beyond the use of an Acrow Jack.

Just been out looking at wooden and steel sheds.  Steel 15yr warranty, Wood 12 months.  They say tanalised wood has 15 year guarantee against rot/fungus, but to prevent the wood from drying out it needs treating every year.  I want to get away from jobs like that.  TRouble is the steel sheds look a bit industrial so other half will want to surround it with plants.

Colin

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2019, 04:19:12 PM »
The stable I restored last year was built in the early 1970's and I hope to get another 40 years out of it with annual coating of creosote plus whatever oil additive I can find: currently using oil chip pan oil, prefer old car engine oil as it discourages the insects ::)

If you go for wood make sure you put a good roof on it. My stable and Porkiebin have galvanised steel roofs, my shed the wavy black bitumen type stuff. An architect advised me to put this black stuff on my garage 19 years ago claiming it would out last me: It only lasted for 15 years  :disappointed:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal