Author Topic: Mach4 Bummer  (Read 1691 times)

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
Re: Mach4 Bummer
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2019, 05:26:28 PM »
Well I am out of ideas , as you are aware it’s difficult to diagnose without standing in front of the problem

My last long shot is noise , do you have a VFD on the spindle ?

If so are the power cables well separated from the control wires , bear in mind it’s a shot in the dark because with no errors it’s likely to be interference causing a glitch in the Mach4 software

My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Woodguy

• Winnipeg, Canada
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2019, 05:52:29 PM »
Is your Mach4 license installed?  It's my understanding that Mach4 will stop at random places when run in demo mode.

Offline gldavison

• Tarkio, Mo.
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2019, 01:51:52 PM »
Well, don't clap your hands and stomp your feet just yet, but maybe I have found the problem.. more testing in progress. Will let you know.
Gary
Windows 10 & 11, Alibre Design Pro V27, IntelliCADPro6, CamBam, Mach4, 3D Printers, Cetus, Anet ET5 X
15" South Bend, 10" Logan lathe, Grizzly square column mill, CNC router & Hot wire cutter. Lagun FTV-1 knee mill, Sherline mill & lathe

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2019, 04:01:20 PM »
Please tell it may help others in the future

Feed back is good for the soul

Offline gldavison

• Tarkio, Mo.
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2019, 02:16:29 AM »
Well fellas, here's what I think happened. The laptop and the CNC controller were plugged into the same Outlet as my metal lathe and the Shop-Vac. Well live and learn. I should have known better so don't rag me to bad. :hammerbash:
 That file takes over 3 hours to run so during the process I thought I would work on the metal lathe and every so often I would stop the lathe turn on Shop-Vac and clean the foam cuttings off of the mill table. I hope this caused the stoppage.
With the laptop having its own power supply, the stepper Motors has their own 48 volt power supply, and a smooth stepper and the cg11 breakout board have their own separate 5 volt power supply. I would not have thought turning the vac and metal lathe on and off would have affected them at all, but I guess I was wrong. I moved the power plug for the machine and the computer to a another Outlet on a separate circuit, and refrained from using the Shop-Vac and the metal lathe and I got three successful runs to completion of that file. Two dry runs with the steppers deactivated and one cutting foam. :pinkelephant: :cartwheel: :cheers:

Thanks every one for your input.

Gary
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 01:05:56 PM by gldavison »
Gary
Windows 10 & 11, Alibre Design Pro V27, IntelliCADPro6, CamBam, Mach4, 3D Printers, Cetus, Anet ET5 X
15" South Bend, 10" Logan lathe, Grizzly square column mill, CNC router & Hot wire cutter. Lagun FTV-1 knee mill, Sherline mill & lathe

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2019, 06:45:26 AM »
Glad you have it sorted Gary

Yes that would do it most defiantly , it was most likely the shop vac with it’s universal motor ( brushed commutator) type possibly has a bad brush and is sparking

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal