Author Topic: Casting a flywheel from a resin printed pattern.  (Read 909 times)

Offline A7er

• Cornwall, UK
Casting a flywheel from a resin printed pattern.
« on: August 31, 2022, 02:26:38 PM »
I cast a flywheel from a resin printed pattern today. The first casting failed because I hadn't melted enough aluminium (donated from a Renault wheel). The second casting could have done with a bit more aluminium, but it worked. I think it would have worked better if I had made the spokes face a different way. In the picture the smaller diameter of the oval spoke is facing you, I think the large diameter should face this way to make it easier to extract from the sand. It sould clean up ok though. All faces have at least 2mm of metal that can be machined off. I will try another casting tomorrow, I need two flywheels.

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
Re: Casting a flywheel from a resin printed pattern.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2022, 02:45:20 PM »
If that’s your first attempt at casting, then I applaud you.

The result is excellent.

:cheers: Graham

Offline A7er

• Cornwall, UK
Re: Casting a flywheel from a resin printed pattern.
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2022, 04:08:19 PM »
Thanks Graham, unfortunately not my first or best. I haven't cast much this year, just a small picture frame using 92 year old Austin Seven engine parts that were beyond saving. I hope I can do better than todays attempt!
I made this name plate a couple of years ago. The text is 6mm-ish high and extruded from the surface 1.5mm.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal