Author Topic: MINI BELT SANDER  (Read 3376 times)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
MINI BELT SANDER
« on: July 18, 2019, 02:58:29 AM »
I bought this little belt sander for $50 and is a little jewel for hobby wood or metal work especially small items.

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: MINI BELT SANDER
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 04:13:18 AM »
Slick little sander!  Looks like a dc motor?  Are belts readily available? Handy size for the workbench.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 04:18:27 AM »
You can order belts it cones with a bundle of them different grits. I bought it on amazon. The motor is 12vdc, the power supply has about 8 different speed setting. By the way the belts are 13”.

Don

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 04:24:31 AM »
Looks like a useful bit of kit.

Mike
If you can imagine it you can build it

Offline PJPickard

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 10:51:06 AM »
Funny as I have been looking at the just recently. Don I have a question for you...would it be fairly easy to remove the backing for the belt and substitute one that is the width of the belt? I'm working on something right now where I want to be able to swing the part past the edge of the belt.

Thanks!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 12:42:46 PM »
Nice Don, that looks to be a solidly built little unit too.

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 04:26:52 PM »
Funny as I have been looking at the just recently. Don I have a question for you...would it be fairly easy to remove the backing for the belt and substitute one that is the width of the belt? I'm working on something right now where I want to be able to swing the part past the edge of the belt.

Thanks!
PJ if you look at the photo you can see two screws that hold the backplate. It would be easy to tailor a backplate for what you want.

Bill it is made of aluminum and for it size very well made.

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 04:51:04 PM »
If you use it for metal, it would be a good idea to put some sort of cover around the motor, or the magnets will suck in the chips and do nasty things. Cover the exposed wire terminals too to prevent shorts.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 07:39:44 PM »
Yeah Chris plan on covering the motor when fling metal not worried about the wire 12VDC not a problem and the terminal are well made.

Don

Offline PJPickard

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2019, 01:36:45 AM »
Thanks Don, I didn't think it would be a big deal to mod it. Alos thanks for your review I was a bit reluctant, good to hear it is well made.

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2019, 04:04:56 PM »
 died my toe in for one of these

for the money £30 for the base model you cannot buy the bearings motor and ally to make it , ok if you have a well stocked resources bin the tracking fully is crowned as it should be

be aware there is more than one model for a couple of quid more they supply a suitable power brick , add a bit more dosh and you can get them with a speed controler ( waste of time they run ok for metal as is

well I have modded mine the material rest is now a piece of 2mm gauge plate same for the backing guide 15 mm wide 2 mm thick with top edge rounded off

only criticism I have they say 10 X 330 mm belts the ones that come with it are 10 X 340 mm and are shallop we say they have a rough side and a smooth side put a proxon belt on bit tight but ok makes a lot better job

all in all for £30 delivered it works no its not a 150mm Wilton replacement  :LittleDevil:
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2019, 03:37:01 PM »
Cute little thing isn't it!?     I like it Don!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2019, 06:37:59 PM »
I couldn`t resit too.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline mechman48

• Retired maint.Eng.
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2020, 03:21:49 PM »
I bought this little belt sander for $50 and is a little jewel for hobby wood or metal work especially small items.

Don

I have the exact same model as pictured; a nice little tool for the bench to take off burrs, grind / clean up small pieces, worth the money. The only down fall with these is there is a lack of replacement belts available for this size. I ordered mine with a 20mm belt size ( 20mm x 330mm ) which came with a 10 pack of spare belts. Now the negative aspect; there is no chance on this planet I can get replacements of that size, plenty of 10 x330 available though, if they can ship unit with spare belts why can they not have spares available. I have ended up making spare belts from a 6"x4" inch belt sander cut down to 20mm x 330 strips to suit & using superglue, pva glue, & reinforced backed duct tape.

I have tried on many occasions lately to get replacement belts to no avail, even contacting the supplier for replacements; they don't stock them, same response from other suppliers of this & similar mini belt grinders.. only stock 10mm x330mm, I can't even get hold of 15/25mm x 330mm belts as these tend to be wider & longer i.e. 25 / 75 /100mm x 470 or 540 mm.
So there's my gripe; all in all a super little mini belt sander sadly let down by lack of spare belts apart from 10mm.  :Mad: If any other member has a link for replacement belts , of this size, I would really appreciate it.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 03:24:56 PM by mechman48 »
George.

Daggers

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2020, 05:00:54 PM »
Purchased the same machine a couple of months ago, spent a couple of pounds extra for the version with 7 speed power supply.
A really useful little machine, just used it to trim 40 4ba screws. Added a small alloy block on the underside of the base so I can hold the machine in the vice, puts it at a good height for me.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal