Author Topic: Mike motts new workshop  (Read 8651 times)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Mike motts new workshop
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2019, 05:27:42 AM »
I dunno, Bill, I think you're a little confused - there's a big difference between press board walls and teak furniture!  :Jester:
Kim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2019, 12:59:38 PM »
Yeah, yeah...but it matches the Oak of the cabinets and the brown tones of the countertops  :LittleDevil:

Bill

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2019, 03:57:58 PM »
The nice thing about having most of the big cabinets on wheels is that changes are not too difficult. After two years now of getting used to the new space it was time to set things up a little differently. I had noticed that i missed working on my high workbench that used to be set behind me when i was working on the lath and mill. and I needed to get it out of just being used as a big shelf.

The big pilot cutter model was really taking up a lot of room while i am not working on it so yesterday was moving around the cabinet shop day.

First the model was moved out of the middle to the NW corner.

Next the long low bench that was purpose built for working on the ocean liner repair was then taken apart.

Next was to get the high workbench out from being sandwiched in between the pine cabinet and the storage drawers.

The pine cabinet was wheeled up to the storage cabinets and the top was going to be better utilized for the other boat models and bits and pieces.

Using the top of the bench that was just taken apart to add to the storage capacity on top helped. and the surface plate was put back on the high workbench where it is more useful.

Which then opened up the east wall to be better used for the storage of the small parts and also to expand the cramped area used for all the soldering.

Still a few more things to move to the garage where the dusty wood machines are but the space is now better for working on the different types of models and feels a bit more spacious I also like my new little IKEA trolly for the things like drawings and verniers etc when working at the mill.

now I can get back to working on the frames for the little loco

Mike

If you can imagine it you can build it

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2019, 04:06:01 PM »
Coming together really well Mike. Sounds like you are suiting it to your needs very well.

Bill

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2019, 08:31:07 PM »
Mike nice setup in your new shop. I have been traveling about and I scored a really nice new machine and I will post photos as soon as I get back to my shop.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Mike motts new workshopY
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2019, 05:39:22 AM »
Your new layout looks very nice, Mike.  Love seeing all your projects sitting around your shop!
Kim

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2019, 03:03:58 PM »
Dan, Kim, Thanks, I do feel very fortunate to have the space that I have,  as a kid growing up in England I though that one day I would have a model shop typical of some of the small wooden sheds of the day with a Myford. a drill press and a bench. 60 odd years later and here we are.

I finished the cleaning up yesterday and am no ready to mess it all up again. I took the last few items out to the garage and it feels much better. By spreading out the drawers at the soldering end and placing one of the old long bench tops on them I am able to push the other little rolling cabinet under.

And now my high bench is ready for work.

So that's it. Now to make it all worthwhile and finish something!

Mike

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2019, 09:04:58 PM »
looks great!

Online Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2019, 09:53:25 AM »
Hi Mike,
 I better not show my wife your tidy shop! She gives me stick to get on & do mine.
Great job.

Going to be over your way in a couple of weeks, hope you guys can keep up the nice weather

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2019, 02:24:23 PM »
Kerrin, when you say our way which side of the continent are you thinking I'm in western Canada and Mcgyver is toward the east coast it's a 2 hour time difference.
My wife comes in once in a while and says "its so nice in here now, you deserve it"  just sayin'

Mike

Online Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2019, 11:29:06 PM »
Hi Mike,
 Our youngest son lives just north of Calgary, he’s been there for 6 years so we make an annual visit. We really enjoy our time. We always try & pack in visit to see something different every visit, but boy distance is a real thing!
This year we are taking my dad, he’s 92, so tripping around is going to be a bit more leisurely, however a visit to the Calgary Live steam boys is high on the cards!

Cheers Kerrin

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2019, 04:51:47 AM »
Hi Kerrin
By the Calgary Live steam boys do you mean the Alberta Society of Model engineers, their main spot is Iron Horse Park in Airdrie. we have a sub group in Onoway called the Sturgeon valley Railway. it is about 45 miles NW of Edmonton.

Mike

Online Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2019, 06:32:24 AM »
Hi Mike,
 Yes that’s the guys! Sorry didn’t check on the name before typing,  :old:
They have a great setup, would love to have a similar setup here.....maybe with the the push to move to a new bigger site I can convince them to do more than a flat track!

Cheers Kerrin

Offline Michel_Mike_Chaput

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2019, 02:18:57 AM »
Thats a nice ,clean and well organized shop ,I ike it  !

Regards Michel.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2019, 11:57:35 AM »
Superb! What a great looking shop!
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal