Author Topic: Big Changes at the Rupnow Ranch  (Read 2385 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Big Changes at the Rupnow Ranch
« on: August 15, 2020, 09:50:20 PM »
Now that I am finished machining for a while, I decided that it was time for a major office upgrade. I was running out of room to display all of my engines, and the cheap laminate flooring that I put in ten years ago had totally lost it's surface in the area where my computer chair rolls around and was leaking grey sawdust all over my office. I called Alexanians (the flooring people) and was quoted $2000 to tear up my old laminate flooring and install new, better quality flooring. Okay, time for an alternate plan!! The floor was only damaged in the area where my chair rolls around, the rest of the floor was fine. Some Googling yielded the fact that I could order anti-static mats made of a black nylon material for $110 each, and that two of them would totally cover the damaged area of the floor. I did a patent drawing for an inventor last week, and that gave enough money for two anti-static mats and five 2" x 8" spruce planks. I turned the wooden planks into a set of shelves to mount on the wall behind my computer, and armed with double sided tape I stuck down the new anti-static mats with tape all around the perimeter. I'm very pleased with the way it all turned out. All I have to do now is repopulate all of my bookshelves with the rest of my engines and pieces of engines.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
Re: Big Changes at the Rupnow Ranch
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 11:40:11 PM »
Very nice Brian. But I fear you are poised at the precipice of running out of shelf space.  :'(  I have the same problem... my models are on a shelf in the daughters room ( she has her own home now) but she does bring her family to visit so the room needs to be available. 

The one who must be obeyed  :slap: has determined that I can have no additional space for models :( .

This is shortly going to be a problem.   :embarassed: >:D
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 04:29:23 AM »
An easy fix Craig... two words.....Vegas...divorce.... plenty of room :lolb: but I guess it may also lose you all storage space as units (condos) are a bit small :o
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 05:49:58 PM »
I have everything 95% put back together, and the new shelves do free up a lot of room on my bookcases.--However--the book cases are far from empty!!

Offline AdeV

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 11:16:00 AM »
I've found that 2nd hand carpet tiles can be an excellent - and very low cost - investment for beefing up a bit of flooring. I carpeted the majority of my 400sq/ft office for around £100 (about $150 at the time), just used some laminate around the coffee machine/fridge area to make spillages easier to handle.
Cheers,
Ade
--
I'm just a poor old man. I have no time for law-breakers. My legs are grey. My ears are gnarled. My eyes are old and bent.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal