Author Topic: Dial indicator repair  (Read 2633 times)

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
Re: Dial indicator repair
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2019, 08:52:25 PM »
Dave, if you ever need some, let me know.   Very generous of you Mike, thanks!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2019, 09:07:39 PM »
Dave, if you ever need some, let me know.   Very generous of you Mike, thanks!
Thank you!
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2019, 09:25:38 PM »
Done.

Mike
If you can imagine it you can build it

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2019, 02:52:29 PM »
The items arrived, thanks very much Mike!

I'll try to get a photo of these compared to an indicator jewel so you non-watch guys can appreciate the size difference.

I also got an idea for bearings for my indicator repair.  I happen to be looking through an old issue of Horological Times and there was an article on using miniature ball bearings (like 1x3mm) instead rebushing for clock repair.  There are issues with authenticity re clocks, but who cares with an indicator repair, provided its an as good or better mechanically.  I've got some on order to experiment with

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2019, 03:01:17 PM »
Wow!!!  Those are some small bearings. Would love to see pictures of them once they arrive too  :o

Bill

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2019, 06:59:56 PM »
The items arrived, thanks very much Mike!

I'll try to get a photo of these compared to an indicator jewel so you non-watch guys can appreciate the size difference.

I also got an idea for bearings for my indicator repair.  I happen to be looking through an old issue of Horological Times and there was an article on using miniature ball bearings (like 1x3mm) instead rebushing for clock repair.  There are issues with authenticity re clocks, but who cares with an indicator repair, provided its an as good or better mechanically.  I've got some on order to experiment with

Mcguyver,

I looked through a bit and found 1 company in the US that makes jewelled bearings.  Most the watch people, however, they also make precision orifices the same way.....I suspect if you were to contact them a "orifice" could be had ...and so what if it doesn't know it's a bearing!....

http://birdprecision.com/contactus/

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2019, 01:13:41 AM »
Hi Dave,

the problem becomes one of economics - there are places that make jewels in those sizes but they'll want $20 + shipping for a jewel so if you need to start replacing several in an indicator thats probably not worth much more than $50, you start to question doing the repair.

I bought some low cost miniature ball bearings, 3mm x 1mm that are about the right size.  If I turn a chaton to fit (brass ring they sit in) it might make a good replacement.  Using miniature ball bearings for clocks has some precedents, but is generally frowned upon as most clocks worth fixing deserve an attempt at authenticity....but who cares for a functional indicator.

Just to show the difference between watch and indicator jewel sizes, here's a shot of a Helios indicator with a cracked jewel (1mm ID), a cheapo ball bearing that just arrived and one the watch jewels Mike Mott kindly sent.  As you can see watch stuff is just too small.  The watch stuff takes practice (at the beginner end of the curve myself).  One of the most common watchmaking tasks is making balance staffs who's pivots (think journal on a shaft) must fit the ID of the jewel which can be as small as .003".   That's an exacto blade to give a sense of scale

« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 02:41:45 AM by Mcgyver »

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2019, 01:19:16 AM »
I like your way of thinking....where did you get the bearing?

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2019, 01:32:17 AM »
I see them on Ebay.....
Damned ijjit!

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2019, 02:40:23 AM »
yup, ebay, very inexpensive.  SKF also makes this size, but don't know their price.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal