Author Topic: gauge 1 Beyer Peacock 18 inch gauge shunting loco  (Read 13394 times)

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
Re: gauge 1 Beyer Peacock 18 inch gauge shunting loco
« Reply #90 on: November 12, 2019, 02:04:49 AM »
I like the indexing method....simple and clever

Thanks, today I started on the eccentrics that will get pinned to the axle. first i turned down some 3/4 mild steel to .650 then using the parting tool indexed across to set the disc positions for the cutting of the shoulders to leave a .050 x .025' rib. then using a waste chuck they were given a final true up on the faces and a .185" hole bored. Next I will set up the waste chuck in the 4 jaw to bore the rest of the hole out by centering and indexing over .078" and using first a 3/16 end mill then a 5/16 to open it up then bore it out to the final size for a tight slide fit on the axle. There are probably easier ways to do this however this seems like it will work.

Mike     
If you can imagine it you can build it

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2019, 05:12:03 AM »
Some nice bolts you made there!  Yeah, a lot of work for those little guys!
Kim

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #92 on: November 15, 2019, 09:04:07 PM »
Moving right along on the eccentrics. first I machined up some bronze that started out life as a threaded part of a large valve that I salvaged in the early 70,s after cutting a short length off and cleaning it up I parted off 4 discs that were .120" thick for the big end of the eccentric rods.  These were then cut in half with the jewelers saw and milled flat to get soldered back together. After cleaning them up I set them up in the mill to rough shape the parts in order to drill the bolt holes and to bore out the centre to the correct diameter. I had originally thought about putting a groove into the end but after spending half the morning making a grooving tool and then cutting the groove I had no way to check it. Since the pair of rods are side by side I realized that I only needed the lip on one side and that also allowed me to turn the inside to the correct Diameter and to be able to check it.  Next the steel eccentrics were set up with the waste chuck in the 4 jaw and the offset hole bored out and reamed 5/16. The next task is to drill the straps for the 0x80 stainless bolts that will hold it all together. and now i am asking myself why I did not make these bolts while I was set up last time.

Mike

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #93 on: November 16, 2019, 03:06:30 AM »
Nice machining Mike.  :ThumbsUp: I always enjoy seeing parts like these made.

I keep seeing your depth micrometer showing up in the pictures. I can see myself having one of these in the near future.  :)

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #94 on: November 16, 2019, 07:12:04 AM »
Thanks Jim, The depth micrometer was a gift from a friend who retired from an engineering job where he had to inspect a lot of stuff. I have the complete box set with different lengths of probes up to 12 inches in 1 inch increments it was a great gift.

A bit more progress on the eccentric straps, I broke a blade today cutting the bottom curve. So now they are all roughed out and the joining bolt holes drilled. I have made the bolts for the first one and actually filed the heads which I made the next size down so in fact are the correct size for the 0x80. the 0x80 heads on the chassis bolts are the next size up. just three more to go.

Mike

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #95 on: November 16, 2019, 02:20:45 PM »
Mike,
Nice work...... :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: What is your plan to attach the eccentrics to the axle.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #96 on: November 16, 2019, 03:41:37 PM »
Hi Dan, regarding attaching the eccentrics. It is something that has been on my mind for a while because they are so thin. My first thoughts were to use the tiny taper pin through the short distance but that has some problems. The second thought was to just loctite them on. Third thought is to set up a jig to fix the eccentrics together in pairs (they are back to back on the loco) at the 104 degree advance for them from mid gear, and soft solder them together. Perhaps the best would be to set them in pairs onto a 5/16th sleeve. Then instead of the shouldered axle just use a 1/4 shaft so that the 5/16 shouldered sleeve can be set with a grub screw. that way I would be able to set up the valve timing after the wheels have been quartered. It is because I am trying to make all these parts look like the original loco and not make them in the traditional model loco way, that is creating my challenges and also my overall lack of knowledge in building these things. I will do a small drawing of the sleeve idea.
That said I am having fun sorting all this out.

Mike       

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #97 on: November 16, 2019, 04:24:15 PM »
Dan the following two pics show the main axle. The plan view of the eccentrics show that they are adjacent to each other. The capture plan axles show the axle as drawn on the original blueprints from 1886, The capture eccentric sleeve proposal shows the sleeve in red, if I did it that way I could loctite the whole left or right sets in the same way that the wheels are done I could set them up on the quartering jig before doing the wheels.

Mike   

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #98 on: November 17, 2019, 06:32:09 PM »
Following along with Dan's question and revisiting Chris' Marion winding engine in the Marion build looking at how Chris made the axle for it out of the C1144 stress relieved steel, I have decided to have a go at making the rear axle in the same way. tomorrow I shall see if my local metal supermarket has any C1144 This drawing shows the centers for the two sets of eccentrics,
the second drawing shows a better resolution of the axle than the one from which I did my original trace for the eccentric rods, it appears that the eccentrics were pinned to the axle with a key-way.

Mike

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #99 on: November 17, 2019, 07:03:07 PM »
Mike, The eccentrics on a Shay are keyed to the crank. That is how I plan to make them when I get to that part. Then never a worry of a tiny grub screw coming loose.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #100 on: November 24, 2019, 10:43:33 PM »
While working on making the stainless 0x80 bolts for the arm of the Eccentric rods I busted the small box wrench that I was using. I was trying to clean up the thread on a bold that was a hair to tight. I busted the spare as well so gave up that job realizing I could make a new bolt faster. I went looking for a new wrench in town nobody had the small set only a cheap metric set. Lots on line But I wanted one for the evening.
I had some 1/8th drill rod and found a spare Allen key ground it round on the end cut it off and set it up to act as a punch. I bored a hole in the end of the drill rod. With the hex in the tail-stock close by, I heated up the drill rod to yellowish heat and plunged the Allen key hex into the hole.
After cleaning it up I still needed to harden and temper it which having been satisfactorily accomplished cleaned it up again and using loctite added a handle.
I then finished the large end of the eccentric rods. I had a few strips of cast brass that were used as a nosing on some fancy stair treats so after a bit of prep they will be used to the rods for the eccentrics.

Mike   

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #101 on: November 25, 2019, 05:29:25 AM »
That's an interesting method to make a little hex nut driver!  You'll have to let us know how it works for you.  Looks pretty good!
Kim

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #102 on: November 25, 2019, 12:04:40 PM »
Good morning Kim, it works very well. :ThumbsUp:

Mike

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #103 on: November 28, 2019, 05:57:13 AM »
The arms of the eccentric rods are now roughed out and a test fitting made to ensure I am on the right track. I cut a small bit of white styrene as a test fit for the straight Allen link which will come after the arms have been finished being shaped and cleaned up.

Mike

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #104 on: November 28, 2019, 04:11:31 PM »
Nice work on the eccentric rods, Mike.  And you get to do each four times!   ;)

Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal