Author Topic: gauge 1 Beyer Peacock 18 inch gauge shunting loco  (Read 13386 times)

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
Re: gauge 1 Beyer Peacock 18 inch gauge shunting loco
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2019, 04:39:57 PM »
Have done a lot of thinking about the cylinders and have stared over yet again. I've heard it said that the journey is the reason and not the destination is why we do stuff  :shrug:
So having one of those dog with a bone streaks in my nature here are some new pictures of my time at the workbench, mill, lathe, and computer making , drawing redrawing going "Aha now I get it" and so forth. when all theses parts are made they will be soldered together.... how... I'm thinking about that!
7809 some 1/4 bronze plate cut up on my 20 inch bandsaw
7810 preparing the bronze to become end plates for a simulated casting
7811 checking sub assembly
7815 fitting and checking after boring a .031 recess into the plate
7818 checking the fit into the frames with the cylinder tubes held in place by the end plates
7823 the valve port block seated in /030 grooves cut into the end plates
7824 holes in rear plate for access to the D valves and also the pistons
I am now sorting out the top and bottom plates that will form the completion of the main block, there will also be a couple of slall additional tabs to form the flanges to attack to the steel frames with bolts

Mike
If you can imagine it you can build it

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2019, 05:19:17 PM »
Very nice!  And it fits right in there where it's supposed to :)
Kim

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2019, 05:44:59 PM »
Thanks Kim, the proof of course will be in the pudding, or is that cookies with this crowd?

mike

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2019, 09:37:05 PM »
Why not do both?  You can have Cookies n Cream ice cream, why can't you have Cookies n Pudding?

Don

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2019, 12:10:31 AM »
Good point! I often have dessert before my main meal, or even just dessert. Cookies don't last in my house they get inhaled  :lolb:

Mike

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2019, 07:44:29 AM »
good work with the home made cutter, I agree that it is very pleasant to see how these mill bits are efficient.
I hope you could recycle the first batch of cylinders in another project, all that work and brass !!!

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2019, 03:43:09 PM »
Thanks Zephyrin, I find that sometimes the satisfaction of making a special tool to be as rewarding as the project the tool is for.
Yes I will be reusing the cylinders I will however separate them and use them in a more conventional way on another small loco.

Mike

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2019, 03:47:45 AM »
Progress is steady on the new configuration. The next task is to set the holes for the steam inlet to the valve chamber and the exhaust ports from each cylinder. the last piece to make for the cylinder assembly is the front valve cover and the cylinder covers.

Mike

image 7866 all of the gland retainers are now fabricated and dry fitted to the front plate
image 7874 overall view of chassis to date
image 7877 close up of the cylinder assembly so far.

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2019, 10:58:05 PM »
I have made some progress on the cylinder parts still picking away at the many tasks it seems. The flanges that are next to the frames serve to hold the lot together when it is not in the frames which will make the soldering that much easier.

Mike

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2019, 12:35:15 AM »
A bit closer to the big soldering day, I finished making the exhaust flange the copper will get cleaned up after the flange is soldered to the body.  The inlet flange is also complete the studs are 1x72 in the inlet flange and 2x56 on the exhaust flange. the ports have also been bored and set up to mate with the cylinder tubes. once the cylinders are soldered together I will set up the boiler support plates so the the holes for the exhaust and inlet can be drilled in the smokebox.

Mike

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2019, 03:35:34 PM »
I can see by the numbers that many are have a look in to see how I am doing I appreciate that.
The interesting thing is that I sometimes make the most unthinking colossal mistakes and yesterday was one of those days Because of the nature of this part (cylinders) I have been worried about the assembly procedure and the fact that I need the parts to hold pressure in order for the thing to actually work....I haven't even got to the valve timing yet.
So, on Monday evening I went out to the shop to do some shaping of the bottoms of the plates I shaped the bottom curve on the front plate first because I had planned on soldering that first.
If you look carefully at 7966 you can see that there is a couple of wedges of bronze silver soldered to the top of the assembly the inside edges need to be filed down to match the cut out yet, I was really pleased with the fix and had spent about an hour preparing for the next set of elements to be soldered to the block. setting up and soldering this had taken the better part of the morning. The first part was to shape the curve onto the bottom because I had the night before put the curve on the top instead of the bottom. I was annoyed with myself for the silly mistake and so fixed it first thing and because the rest was going to be done with the high temp soft solder, I decided to silver solder the wedges on. The next picture 7965 shows it more clearly

It was close to lunch time and Judy came in and I was showing her how it all fitted together because she wanted to know where it fit on the model. I began putting the rest of the parts together holding the assembly to slide the flanges on which holds the plates together I realized I had completely screwed up.  The next picture (Rear plate Mistake) shows the problem in A the wedges are highlighted, BUT it is upside down!!! B shows that I had not only filed the new shape on the bottom but then filed off the correct curves and rebuilt it to be square leaving the first error intact. I said a few words loudly that cannot be repeated, and felt absolutely stupid.... how could I have made such a mistake again? Lunch was not spoiled however I was quiet! Judy bless her said "you will sort it out" and added "Perhaps because there are so many parts you should put a mark to show up on the different bits. Good advice for sure.
In C you can see where the block had to be machined to remove the material outlined by the red lines. to save this work I needed to actually now use this assembled group upside down because I had also soldered the valve block in facing the wrong up side.
The next picture 7969 A bit of fiddling with packing pieces and the deed was accomplished.
Next, I was able to add the top and bottom plates to enclose the steam chamber. I began fitting and checking 3 times before doing any more soldering. The next picture 7970 shows the assembly now becoming a substantial block.

Before the back plate can be soldered to the assembly I need to make and fit the valve cover plate. I used the rear plate as a guide for drilling the holes in the cover after shaping and fitting the cove into the hole I tacked them together with ACC glue then spotted through all the holes. The holes in the cover will need to be opened up to slide over the studs which will be threaded into the rear plate of the cylinder assembly.
I'm getting there! slowly.
You will notice in the last picture 7973 the felt marker T on the valve cover plate. it is always advisable to follow good advice I think. the next task will be to make and fit the 12 1x72 studs before soldering the plate to the cylinder assembly tapping through holes is so much easier than tapping blind ones.

Mike

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2019, 05:41:54 PM »
Yup - been there! Now I try and remember to label or number-stamp the mating parts.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2019, 08:14:14 PM »
The interesting thing is that I sometimes make the most unthinking colossal mistakes

Happens to me a lot more often than I care to think about  :hammerbash:  even if I usually are very good at doing something, it only takes a number of weeks not doing it, and I'm back to making big very annoying mistakes  >:(  :-X

At least you got an idea about how to solve this one + another to maybe avoid too many in the future  :cheers:

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #73 on: October 16, 2019, 08:45:44 PM »
I'm a member of this club too.  :embarassed:

I always try and remember to mark my parts (top, bottom, left, right, etc.).  But even with that, I'll forget to notice it in the heat of the battle.  And when I get to fitting it up, the part is now upside down!  Sometimes I can just go ahead and use it that way (change the markings :)) and sometimes, I gotta fix it.

But I KNOW that marking my parts have helped me catch errors many times before they were committed (best case) or to catch an error before I get too far along.  And as we all know, the later you catch an error, the more expensive it is to fix!

Mike, you're Cylinder assembly is looking great!  It is well worth the extra time and effort you've put into it  :ThumbsUp:
Kim

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2019, 11:07:22 PM »
Chris, Admiral, and Kim Thanks I don't feel quite so bad now, so it is not just me. I am busy making 1x72 studs right now before I attach the rear plate to the assembly.

Mike

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal