Author Topic: gauge 1 Beyer Peacock 18 inch gauge shunting loco  (Read 13388 times)

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
Re: gauge 1 Beyer Peacock 18 inch gauge shunting loco
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2019, 07:42:54 PM »
Giving this a lot more thought and re reading some sections of KN Harris' book on model boiler tube sizes and grate areas. I am thinking that If I go with this design I get a better than 1/6th area of tube to grate ration the grate being 2.6 square inches and the tube through area as .4901 square inches. it should work fine. adding the brick baffle will help prevent coal going into the tubes.

There are nine tubes that are 1/4 inch in diameter and 5 tubes 3/16 in diameter. using the spacing formula in Harris' book. The grate is from 1/8 diameter stainless. I do have some thin strips of cast iron as well I could use it.

Mike

If you can imagine it you can build it

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2019, 04:41:52 AM »
A bit more work on the frames, after marking out for the horn-blocks I cut most of the metal out with a jewelers saw.

Mr Brown was hanging about doing his usual inspections.

Then off to the mill to clean them up, the 4 flute mill was just long enough so that one the depth was set I could clean up all the side without changing the quill.

The holes were pilot drilled with just the centredrill first so that i was not constantly changing the bit.

I set up the dimensions from the bottom left hand corner, and carefully followed the plan discovering an error on the way, tedious work which used all of my concentration so enough for today, I can reset to 0,0 and drill all the holes once the rest of the pilots have been spotted.

More in the morning.

Mike 

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2019, 11:20:11 AM »
This a lovely little loco, and a very nice model to come...
I did not have built myself a coal fired gauge1, only meths or butane fired locos, hence I will follow your way and hope to be boosted to have a go...

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2019, 09:21:08 PM »
Went back to the books and have made another change regarding the tubes and firebox. I redid the calculations and have decided to go with five 3/8ths tubes which give better than 1/6th ration to fire grate. which will mean remaking the front tubeplate and the front firebox tubeplate. I will also correct the error of not having the tubes sloped.

Also have decided that for this model loco a slip eccentric valve gear might be a good way to go, I am still thinking about that.

Mike

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2019, 08:38:29 PM »
I finished the holes in the main frames and have now made some angle iron from some 1/4 square and some 5/16 square. I did the milling by going down the center with two pieces clamped in the mill vice. used different cutters for the 1/4 and 5/16

Next I hand ground the tips of a couple of old end mills on the diamond wheel to create the corner radius for the center and the outside edges.

I am pleased with the results.

Time for lunch.

Mike

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2019, 01:57:38 AM »
Nice Mike, you must have taken light cuts at the end as there is not much gripping power with the thin section at the bottom.

I took a different approach the last time I needed small angle iron. I used the smallest section I could buy and trimmed the backside of the angle iron and the legs saving the rolled inside edge.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2019, 02:43:09 AM »
Hi Dan
I seem to remember that. And yes I did take light cuts the main thickness of the legs is .062" and with the radius it left .031".
I stopped short of a slight taper. I was pleased that the 5/16 did not distort when I cut away the middle.

Mike

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2019, 10:46:47 PM »
My rivets came today they cost $35 US for 1000 1/16x 5/16 That seemed OK but then the shipping was $34.65 US because they ship via UPS the big shock was the additional $35 Canadian for The UPS Brokerage fee and GST So My 1000 rivets worked out at $91.94 +$35 for a total of $126 Canadian which comes to 12.6cents apiece which seems a bit outrageous.
Mike

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2019, 11:28:13 PM »
Ouch!! That is outrageous!

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2019, 12:31:25 AM »
Actually you did OK Mike, believe it or not. Over the last 2 years stuff I've ordered from the US ends up 4 to 5 times the US list price with all the shenanigans you mention.

$126 vs $35 is only 3.6 X list.  Still a heck of a hosing for being Canadian and buying elsewhere. Trouble is a lot of things just can not be bought here anymore. Many stores and industrial suppliers just won't bother to even look for small qty's of anything. If you wanted 100,000 rivets or 10,000 lb of steel they may talk to you.

It's making me take the time to build just about everything from raw stock including a lot of screws and rivets for my models nowadays, and plan expensive imported parts out of the models. May do a cold heading press for rivet making from copper electrical wire one of these days. I designed lots of cold header tooling for steel bolts in industry some years ago.

I'd love to get in on a fraction of a % of the brokerage gag with UPS..... could just about afford the  :popcorn: bill for Chris' shovel build, then..... :Lol:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2019, 07:29:59 AM »
Postage, Import duty and collecting the duty for stuff from the US is a killer for us in the UK as well :(

Even internally postage can be a bit of a rip off for example yesterday I wanted a couple of pieces of 4mm stainless bar = £0.92 ea, postage and packing £5.95  :o Looks on flea bay nothing cheaper for two bits ... So I ordered 20 from the original supplier assuming the spare might come in handy in the future. Which probably accounts for why I have large stock piles of most stuff  ::)

The one that is difficult to account for is it is often cheaper to buy and have posted something from China than it would cost to post the same item in the UK  :headscratch:.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2019, 09:39:34 AM »
My experience with imported stuffs is that the problem is with UPS, the brokerage and others "administrative" fees are always huge. You may insist for having postal service for deliveries, as fees are limited to postage and the import taxes.

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2019, 02:13:18 PM »
Thank you all for you commiserations regarding this issue.
The one that is difficult to account for is it is often cheaper to buy and have posted something from China than it would cost to post the same item in the UK  :headscratch:.

Jo

It does make one wonder

You may insist for having postal service for deliveries, as fees are limited to postage and the import taxes.

With envelope size packages I do not see any reason for using UPS. An envelope is not a "Parcel"

Lesson Learned.

Jo, regarding purchasing a few more pieces than one needs right away, has always been my method and is probably why I also have a large stock of materials and fasteners. A box of 100 is usually not a great deal more money that 23 individual bolts, screws,  etc.

Mike

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2019, 11:04:11 PM »
My rivets came today they cost $35 US for 1000 1/16x 5/16 That seemed OK but then the shipping was $34.65 US because they ship via UPS the big shock was the additional $35 Canadian for The UPS Brokerage fee and GST So My 1000 rivets worked out at $91.94 +$35 for a total of $126 Canadian which comes to 12.6cents apiece which seems a bit outrageous.
Mike

I never use anyone who ships by UPS (United Pirate Service), the last time they wanted $50 Brokerage fee on a duty free item that only cost $100.00. I refused the parcel and the driver tossed it so hard into the back of the truck that parts were damaged. I contacted the seller and explained what had happened, they said if I would pay the difference between UPS and USPS (United States Postal Service) they would send it that way. I agreed and they sent it by USPS, which was faster then UPS, the problem was the package had been damaged by UPS, this was noted by the seller and USPS and myself. The bow of the hull and deck had been split, I emailed the seller photos of the damage and the condition of the package. They sent me a replacement hull and deck.

Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2019, 05:13:46 PM »
This morning i had to make a 1/8th diameter 78 Degree countersink for my tiny rivets I put the angle on the end of a bit of Drill rod (silver steel) then carefully filed the teeth with some watchmaking files with a #8 cut, hardened and tempered it.

Ran it at a slow speed with some tapping cutting oil

It cut better than the small 1/4 inch commercial one which was too big for the inside of the Angles, I was a very happy camper.

The first set was cut a tad too deep so backed of on the second set by .010" and they are good. the next picture shows the first set.

Mike

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal