Author Topic: gauge 1 Beyer Peacock 18 inch gauge shunting loco  (Read 13393 times)

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
Re: gauge 1 Beyer Peacock 18 inch gauge shunting loco
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2019, 12:30:54 PM »
Yes, hard bronze may awful to machine, and absolutely sharp tools are a must...you may add also cutting fluid, as parts become very hot under the tools; and especially the drills are easily jammed in their holes.

some play is important in the axle boxes in their hornblock to avoid locking of the wheels on the track.

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2019, 01:24:52 PM »
P.S. I have one of those original sets of Steeple castings, complete with hard spots  ::)

Jo, just looking at that set of castings is whetting my appetite. Not having the financial resources to purchase such a set and also not having or knowing anything about CNC the first thing to cross my mind was I wonder how difficult it would be to fabricate the main parts from sheet and plates silver soldered together?

Zephyrin, your comment about the cutting fluid was helpful and yes I know that the bearing need a bit of play.
As a young boy being up close to full size steam engines, I often wondered about the clank clank of the things when running slowly in the yards at  Old Oak Common and Willesden sheds. of course it was the looseness of the things like the bearings that caused them. I do have a tendency to try to make everything nice and tight tolerance wise, but with the running gear there has to be some slack or as you say it will jam and lock.

Mike

If you can imagine it you can build it

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2019, 09:22:47 PM »
P.S. I have one of those original sets of Steeple castings, complete with hard spots  ::)

Jo, just looking at that set of castings is whetting my appetite. Not having the financial resources to purchase such a set and also not having or knowing anything about CNC the first thing to cross my mind was I wonder how difficult it would be to fabricate the main parts from sheet and plates silver soldered together?

There are easier Table engines to make out of Barstock. Like the Waller that Ramon did a very nice version of. https://www.pollymodelengineering.co.uk/sections/stationary-engines/anthony-mount-models/wallers-Table-Engine.asp

Jo
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 09:26:29 PM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2019, 03:42:29 AM »
Progress on the bearings today, helped along by Mr Brown.

I used a combination of the 4 jaw chuck on the lathe and the mill to square up the lower inserts ready for drilling for the pins and then drilling and reaming the holes for the axles.

Here Mr Brown is doing a final push .

mike

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2019, 06:46:32 PM »
The bearing blocks have reached a point where I can leave them for now. first the keeper pins were installed these are .060"

Next the axles holes were bored out by drilling first then reaming them out with a 4 flute 1/4 inch end mill.

I faced off the extra in the four jaw chuck as this seemed to be a lot simpler than using the mill also it was faster.

A test fit with my place holder axles.

Next was to see how easily it all came apart, first the pins were pushed out these are a slide fit.

Then the bottom part was twisted out with the brass axle.

All in all I am happy with the results.

I have to take a short break from the model to do a small brown project for a local group, which I hope ti complete in a few days.

Mike

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2019, 04:34:37 PM »
Beginning work on the cylinders, I had some small bits of bronze left over and also some 3/4 bar bronze so began with a fabrication that involved silver soldering, not my favourite task.

I had trouble getting the parts soldered together, and thinking down the road decided to change my approach.

I was fortunate to be handed a 1 foot length of 2 inch 660 bronze bar when I had just paid for a 1 foot length of 1 1/2 inch piece of 660 bronze bar, I did not realize the mistake until I got home, by then it was too late to worry about it. Who knew!

I faced off 2 blanks the width of the max that I needed then sliced off a chord so that I could have a datum face.

Next I then laid out the rough cuts for the bandsaw to have less milling to do.

After a lot of careful milling and keeping my fingers crossed I have a couple of blanks ready to do all the boring and porting.

Because the slide valves share the common steam input chamber I will add the other plates around to create the steam tight chamber which will also hold the left and right cylinders together.

Last picture shows the port faces that are vertical which will get lapped after all the drilling.

Mike

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2019, 11:48:10 AM »
Good progress  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: You were lucky with that piece of oversized bar  :)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 06:54:00 AM by Roger B »
Best regards

Roger

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2019, 03:43:31 AM »
Thanks Roger, I have made a little more progress on the cylinders the valves are vertical like the ones that were mentioned about the Stanley Steamer.

I am building up the cylinder block with all the sections bolted together.

I started on the front faces today, it took a fair bit of thinking to figure out the sequence. first I drilled and tapped all the holes in the block then switched out the vice and centered the rotary table mounted the 4 jaw chuck set the block and squared it to the x y axis of the mill. then offset it to cut the bottom curve.

Mike 

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2019, 02:17:49 PM »
I finished roughing out the right hand cylinder cover, the outside corners were rounded with a couple of different grits of sanding sticks. I received my order of tiny high temp o rings yesterday, so I can seal the valve stems.

mike

« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 02:22:27 PM by mike mott »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2019, 02:37:44 PM »
Coming together great! Interesting how you have pieced up the cylinder/valve block - how will you seal the joints?
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2019, 03:52:08 PM »
Crueby thanks, I am going to use a combination of paper gaskets, the top plate is still missing for the exhaust outlet flanges and the inlet flange. I might also need to use some high temp silicone.

Mike

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2019, 02:09:34 PM »
I finished shaping the front covers, on the original these were not actually separate parts but were integrated as part of the casting, only the backs were removable, so the attachin screws will be flat head countersunk ones so that they will not be as visible on the model.

mike

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2019, 05:33:28 AM »
Today I worked on the valve rod gland retainers and the studs for the piston gland retainers. Also made a few 1x72 hex bolts I did not have any 1/8th hex so filed them up out of some 3/16.

Mike

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2019, 05:47:39 AM »
I decided to remake the front cylinder covers there were just a few too many little compromises.  I needed to make a cutter also so that I could create the radiused recess around the gland boss. The other thing was to make the piston rod .093" instead of .125" in real life the piston rod is 1 1/8th inches and at 1/10 scale 1.125" is .1125" so i opted to go smaller rather than bigger, I know that the correct size is pretty close to 7/64ths but I have O rings that fit the 3/32. By going a little smaller it gives me a little more material for the threading and the retaining flange.

I had some 1/2 inch drill rod so threaded the locking end 1/2 x 20 then shaped the cutter profile on the lathe and then freehand ground the teeth, then hardened it. did a test cut, then worked on the new covers. Then a lot of filing with a rat tail file and polished it up with some fine wet and Dry.

Mike

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2019, 11:13:03 AM »
Looks like you are making good progres Mike  :ThumbsUp:

I'm just quitely following along  :cheers:   :popcorn:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal