Author Topic: gauge 1 Beyer Peacock 18 inch gauge shunting loco  (Read 13387 times)

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
Re: gauge 1 Beyer Peacock 18 inch gauge shunting loco
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2019, 04:45:27 AM »
I have wanted a new vice for a long time, since about 1980 in fact. Well today was the day because I had put the behemoth rotary table up on the mill again I think it will stay there now or until I get some sort of scissor thing to slide it off. It weighs about 100lbs. My old vice was big and getting a bit beat up so got this one at Busy Bee Tools.

Also a set of parallels to go with it. The hornblocks for the loco are fairly complex so am working them in pairs and have begun my hand cnc milling (crank N crank)
The calculations were a bit time consuming but they worked well for the first stage.

After checking the opening in the frames for the front and rear discovered a 6 thou difference in the width of the opening..... How did that happen?

Made the adjustment for the difference on the second set, and am pleased with the days effort I placed the blocks into the openings and held them in place with a couple of compression springs while I contemplate the next move.

Mike

If you can imagine it you can build it

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2019, 04:54:11 AM »
Great results on your Count Number Cranks efforts!!

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2019, 10:29:16 PM »
Thanks Chris, I am getting a stiff neck though. Stage 2 completed while in the vice I opted to remove most of the actual opening for the bearing surface I can remove the rest when it is flipped over again for the shaping of the top.

Then stage 3 removing the area around the bearing area.

Mike 

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2019, 03:33:31 AM »
Well it happened I kissed the brand new vice  :censored: on the last hornblock roughing out today! on the last hornblock i had increased the depth of the cut from .030" to .050" it was cutting well but for some reason the cutter crept out of the Clarkson auto lock collet it was on the last .010" cut I had not noticed the creep until it hit the vice :censored: :censored: needles to say I was mad at myself.

Mike

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2019, 05:14:51 PM »
Moving forward I needed to mount the hornblocks to the frames before finishing the opening for the bearings. first order of the day was to make some steel 1x72  and 0x80 flat head screws to clamp the hornblock to the frames. I have quite a large stock of 3/16 hex steel but no small diameter free machining steel so since there are only a few I used the 3/16 hex stock. it machines beautifully.

After parting them off I used the jewelers saw (10 strokes) to cut the slot.

Next the frame and hornblock were clamped with enough clearance to be able to remove the remaining metal for the bearing to fit. I set the stops on the table to rough out most of the material then eyeballed the final cuts leaving a thou or two to clean up later.

Overall I am happy with the result,

Time for some breakfast.

Mike

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2019, 03:32:45 PM »
The  next task was to clean up the bearings, so I set them back to back and returned them to the mill, and using a 7/16 4 flute end mill skimmed the 0penings .002" at a pass to bring them all in "perfect" alignment. the forward set are .003" inches wider opening that the rear.

Then did a quick reset to see how it all fits together a couple of shorts of some brass rod to hold up the wheels temporarily and the frame sitting on some wood blocks.

Them I wanted to get an impression of the whole with the boiler as well.

Mike 

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2019, 04:17:22 PM »
Having just read the following I shall refrain from posting any more pics of the on ging construction of this and just put a few pictures of the finished product here later.

Gary, the site policy is not to allow Locomotive builds. You will recall that at the time John explained it to you:

Quote from: Bogstandard on April 03, 2013, 08:25:00 PM

Unfortunately Gary,

A while ago, the Admin on this site decided to not let builds of locomotives go ahead on here as it was thought that there are enough loco building sites on the interweb that they can be posted on and we didn't want to stray very far from our commitment to model engines.

We allowed ones that were already in motion to continue because they were not starting from the very beginning. The same goes for model boats and aircraft, it is OK to show the engine builds that goes into them, but not the rest that goes with it, unless it is a very abridged post with only a few photos, with no construction details.

John

What MK is doing here is in line with that policy  :ThumbsUp:. He is providing a very abridged post with a few photo's of his excellent model of William, but he is not going into all the machining details that we encourage for the construction of model engines.

Jo

Apologies for not following the rules.

Mike

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2019, 04:58:35 PM »
Hi Mike,
That may have been the case when the forum was originally started, but I believe that was the specific reason that the "Vehicles & Models" subforum was created - so that members had a place to post these kinds of builds.  Locomotives, traction engines, any manner of engine-powered vehicles.  And if people don't want to follow along with loco builds, they can choose not to. 

Please continue to post your Peacock build.  I for one am quite enjoying following along!

Kim
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 05:04:24 PM by Kim »

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2019, 05:33:05 PM »
Mike, there are plenty of locomotives, traction engines, complicated steam tractors and diggers on the forum. Please keep posting  :)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 06:48:46 PM by Roger B »
Best regards

Roger

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2019, 06:36:22 PM »
Absolutely Mike, please keep posting, that is not currently policy here!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2019, 07:43:00 PM »
Definitely keep posting Mike. I have been following and enjoying your build also.

Bill

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2019, 08:02:13 PM »
Keep posting Mike  :)

In the early days when Bogs was an admin there was a reluctance to include Loco builds as they tend to go on for decades  :Doh: and there are other sites that do Loco builds so he was reluctant to have them here. But time moved on and we made this section so that when someone chooses to make other types of models they can still be a part of our happy friendly forum   ;)

Jo

Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2019, 03:17:37 AM »
Back By popular demand :whoohoo: :cartwheel: Sorry I couldn't resist. Thank you Kim, Roger, Chris, Bill, and Jo, for your support. I have been slowly going through older threads, and found the post that I quoted, and that is why I thought that I was not following the rules. There is so much incredible knowledge on this forum. I keep filing things away in the back of my mind. I do have some plans for stationary engines, also. so will get around to some of them in the future.

This steam driven Deal sawing machine is intriguing.

And I have the three sheets in the set of this engine.

Today I made a start on the wheel bearings and I cut some blanks off the bar of bronze, I found that it had completely different machining properties to the brass. I had to slow down the cutter speed considerably and the tool had to be absolutely sharp. The one that cut brass well enough seemed to push the bronze so that is why I changed cutters for a brand new one. Is this a common attribute of Bronze?

I still need to finish the other three blanks then to make the cut out and insert the bottom half like this, this is a standard design of course.

Mike

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2019, 03:45:13 AM »
The cutting properties of bronze varies a lot by which alloy.  Bearing bronze is closer to brass, while phosphor bronze can be very grabby and hard, lots of alloys with very different behaviors.

Those other engines are quite interesting, hope you build them in the future!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2019, 07:15:13 AM »
Mike, I see you have the three drawings of the Clarkson Steeple Engine (yes we know it is a table engine but that is what they called it  :Doh: ) . In years gone by this was a very rare and desirable model but Clarkson's castings were renowned to have hard spots.

A couple of years ago Blackgates finally managed to get the rights to enable them to start selling these castings again. In theory the sets of castings should be available again - in practise I know there has been a devil of a problem with Foundries and them having to upgrade to meet new health and safety requirements.

Jo

P.S. I have one of those original sets of Steeple castings, complete with hard spots  ::)
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal