Author Topic: gauge 1 Beyer Peacock 18 inch gauge shunting loco  (Read 13385 times)

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
gauge 1 Beyer Peacock 18 inch gauge shunting loco
« on: July 11, 2019, 08:52:30 PM »
As mentioned in my other build logs I am presently working on this new little loco and this time I am starting with the boiler. Dave Watkins built and fired a small coal fired loco called Frog. that ran on 32mm gauge track. I am converting the current drawings that are featured in the book mentioned above into a set of drawings that are layered in order to isolate the various components and they then become easily scaleable.

As I am working on the drawings of the actual loco I am integrating the model components on different layers, and have made a start on the boiler with a commercial 2 1/2 inch "T" .
I was using Photo-bucket before the infamous Faux Pas and have not used them since so i am not sure about posting pictures now I did like putting them in line but it is what it is.

Mike 
If you can imagine it you can build it

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: gauge 1 Beyer Peacock 18 inch gauge shunting loco
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 09:44:21 PM »
Looks like you are off to a fine start Mike. Will be watching along.

Bill

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 12:55:47 AM »
Thanks Bill.
I have been working on the design of the regulator so that from the outside it looks like the one on the full size loco, and also keeping it simple because it is a small boiler I have set it up so that the needle valve is in the bronze section in the middle of the tube with the collection at the top of the steam dome. The dimensions are for the full size loco and because this is a 1:10 scale model it makes the conversions so much easier. the collection tube is .314 diameter obviously larger that its real life counterpart. 

Mike

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 04:17:00 PM »
A little bit more work. One of my concerns is the sequences of the soldering so that i don't box myself in with a joint that I cannot get to. so i am being very cautious with the steps and trying not to trip myself up.

The steam to the cylinders on a lot of these small engines comes off the top of the boiler and then through a drip feed oiler and along side or under to the cylinders. I wanted the feed to come out at the front tubeplate but did not want to fiddle with a superheater so keeping it simple and in the same position as the regulator I had to ease the flange a little to get the bushing in line. pic 1
The bushing is threaded 6x75mm I noticed that Kozo uses all sorts of different threads and not having any of the ME taps and dies I am using what I have. I will use a banjo bolt into the bushing for the steam to the cylinders. Pic 2
I had a little bit of bronze 1/2 inch rod so used it for the body of the regulator valve that sits below the dome. pic 3. I know its pushing the limits of hanging out of the chuck.
shouldered to accept the 5/16 copper tube. pic 4
Dry fitted the body into the boiler, still need to put in the hole for the collection tube. pic 5
The bushing for the backhead still need to be sorted. pic 6
Trying to decide whether to work from the bachhead to the front or the front to the backhead regarding the soldering sequence.

Mike

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 02:39:22 PM »
I just finished reading through Photo-bucket's new policy and thought I would give it a test. to see how it is different. This picture shows the sleve ring silversoldered into the firebox end of the boiler

to receive the extension to bring the commercial T up to the required length.

Mike   

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 01:57:01 AM »
I rethought the diameter of the regulator body and realized it could be a larger diameter so took it up to .5" and drilled and tapped it 6 x 75mm for the 1/4" copper collection tube.

All of the main parts that will get soldered together that will be inside the boiler are now made. I left the regulator needle long for the time being.

The regulator body dry fitted together .

then dry fitted into the boiler.

now to sort out the final configuration of the regulator flange and sealing on the final backhead bush the one that is in there at the moment is just a placeholder.

Mike

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 06:05:43 AM »
Went to my local metal supermarket this morning and picked up a few bits, some steel for the wheels and frames and some bronze for cylinders.

first I cut a set of wheel blanks that were a bit too thick so cut a second set. It is 2 inch but needs to go down to 1.78 inches

This is the first set of rough blanks, I will be able to use them for something in 3 1/2 inch gauge so not wasted.

I had some 14gauge cut into a strip a bit oversize for the frames.

Prepared the second set of blanks to be turned down to the correct diameter they are the right thickness and bored and reamed to 1/4 inch. I will make up a wheel mandrel so that  I can do the various turnings in sets.

Now off for a cup of tea then bed.

Mike   

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2019, 09:20:15 PM »
Finished the wheels today so far. I set up the simple mandrel in the four jaw chuck and completed each turning setting for each wheel which meant a lot of switching of the wheels but ensured that on my old lathe that things were consistent.

I used  form tools for a couple of the operations.

Mr Brown seemed pleased with the progress.

Cheers Mike

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 05:18:54 AM »
Nice looking wheels, Mike!
Did you put an angle on the tread?  I couldn't tell for sure from the pics.  Sometimes it kinda looks like yes, and sometimes no.

Kim

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2019, 06:37:36 AM »
Hi Kim
Thanks and yes there is a 3 degree slope. The wheels are 1.756" over the flange and 1.6" at the intersection of the flange and bearing surface.

Mike

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2019, 10:38:12 AM »
Nice set of wheels,
As a gauge 1 loco builder I also use a form tools for the tread with a gauge 1 profile, and also for the rim for waggon wheels.
Looking at your boiler, I wonder if the smoke tubes are not positioned a little high, and are not likely to be above the water level ?

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2019, 03:20:58 PM »
Hi Zephyrin,
That had crossed my mind as well, it is likely the reason that eventually they added the saddle tank so that the boiler could be constantly topped up. I noticed that the top of the sight glass is level or just above the top of the boiler and I wonder if the dome which is huge wasn't also partially filled with water at least to the height of the water gauge.
How would you resolve the situation?

Mike

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2019, 10:07:08 AM »
I hadn't realized the huge size of the steam dome, which mitigates my reserves on the height of the tubes... in this case, if the water supply is maintained above the tubes, it will work without problems.

but otherwise, and if it's not too late, (the brazing not yet done !), I would change the arrangement of the tubes, by turning the front and back plates so that the smoke tubes are in the lower half of the boiler. the running would be much more efficient and safer.

it's mainly a question of efficiency in fact, if the tubes are not covered with water, they are totally useless, I don't think the boiler structure is really threatened, unless the burner is really very intense.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 10:14:32 AM by Zephyrin »

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2019, 03:38:49 PM »
Good morning Zephyin.

Thanks for the advice. because I am attempting to make this model actually look like the full size loco on the outside, and I do want to have it coal fired. The run time will obviously be short.
This is a tiny locomotive in the first place. The full size loco had a small firebox as is visible in this in this picture https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Dot_at_Narrow_Gauge_Railway_Museum_-_2010-03-07.jpg
because of the constant diameter of the boiler I would not be able to flip the tubeplates upside down.  Dave Watkins fired a smaller diameter boiler similar design but he did have the advantage of the stepped configuration https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHTK5dEP9q4
I used his drawing of the frog boiler as my guide for this one.

As it is I will have to have the fire a little lower simply because of the size of the firebox. Dave used 3 5/16 tubes and 3 1/4 inch tubes in his box , I used two  3/8 tubes two  5/16 tubes and two  1/4 inch tubes I could remake the front tubeplate and the front firebox plate and just use 1/4 inch tubes with one 5/16 and get them a little lower. I will draw the two configurations and them post them.

Mike

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2019, 04:07:51 PM »
Zephryin
Here are the two drawings the first one is a trace of the actual boiler, and the second one shows two configurations for the tubes in the model boiler. the section on the left is along the same lines as the frog boiler, I actually made a mistake when drilling the holes and inserted two 3/8 tubes instead of all the top three being 5/16 and the bottom three being 1/4.
 the configuration on the right is all 1/4 inch tubes.  I am ok making a new inner set the position of the firebox has to stay where it is though.

Mike

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal