Author Topic: Old Time's stuff  (Read 3847 times)

Offline Old Timer

Old Time's stuff
« on: July 11, 2019, 08:16:54 AM »
OK, here is the first picture of my three-cylinder 30cc four stroke. I designed it for spark ignition but test-ran it on methanol with glow plugs. It ran for a few seconds before the crank shaft fractured. I made a new one and never bothered to advance to spark ignition.

Nico
If it works, enjoy it. If it does not, fix it.

Offline Old Timer

Re: Old Time's stuff
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 08:18:05 AM »
That one worked, so here is another one...

Offline Old Timer

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 08:23:01 AM »
Naaaah, more of the "your file is too large" business so I checked the smaller ones and here it is...

Offline Old Timer

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 08:26:41 AM »
Just another one of the three-cylinder...

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 09:10:11 AM »
 8) I am interested to hear more of your three cylinder engine. Are the cranks at 120 degrees? How did you time the firing  :headscratch:

A Kiwi and Whippet  :ThumbsUp:  both Westbury designs.

Jo

Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Old Timer

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 10:17:24 AM »
Hi Jo. Yes the three cylinder has 120 degrees off-set cranks and I think the firing order is 1-3-2 but canna remember so may have to go and check again. This one is responsible for having me make seven camshafts before I got the firing order right.

The Whippet and Kiwi are Westbury designs and castings, purchased from the erstwhile Woking Precision Models, now extinct I believe, or taken over by others. I also have the Seal Major 30cc and 15cc of which I kind of built the small one (finiky small!) and partially made the 30cc one.

There is also the Vega Twin that is awaiting completion and the late Bob Shore's Silver Bullet (image too large...)

I am hunting the pictures of the multi-cylinder models which should be somewhere in the archives - dang it! I hate it when I cannot remember where I put that thingy I made for you know what in the something or other - only yesterday!

I also have some other projects like a single cylinder made from parts of a hospital bed frame... with a cylinder head off a aero model engine. The Webster scratch build which I made in 11 days I gave to a family member. That one sported a .308 Winchester shell case for an exhaust.

Then I still have various other engines like a twin boxer I purchased half-built from a US friend and a 1/4-scale semi- completed V-8 with twin Walbro carbies. Lack of drawings halted the further construction.

Perhaps there is some of you who might want to complete some of these projects, or get their paws on some of my unworked castings stashed away somewhere in my garage. Just a word of warning: I will need time to find 'em!

Thanks for the interest shown so far.

Nico

Offline Old Timer

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 10:22:00 AM »
Forgot to mention that I made the crank case and timing gears for a Jerry Howell V-twin for my old friend Mike Baltes who lived in Pennsylvania. That was a challenging job machining the parts from bar stock. Sadly Mike passed away some considerable time ago and I cherish the bits and pieces of useful stuff he sent me - small drill bits, matching timing gear sets, a full set of drawings for that JH V-twin etc.

RIP Mike!

Nico

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 11:29:01 AM »
A very nice collection  :praise2:  :praise2:  :wine1:

How did you make the crankshaft for the three cylinder engine, was it fabricated or turned from solid?

I expect Jo is already on her way to raid your castings/part finished collection  :stir:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Old Timer

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 12:00:45 PM »
Hi Roger

The crankshaft for the three-cylinder was manufactured - one reason why it fractured on first start. Secured (not sufficiently) with pins and brazing. It is also a fairly tight fit in the crank case cavity - not a very neat job  :embarassed:

I'll be waiting for the raiders of the archives.... :ThumbsUp:

Nico

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2019, 01:08:48 PM »
Hemingway http://www.hemingwaykits.com/ took over supplying some of the old Woking models.

…... and a 1/4-scale semi- completed V-8 with twin Walbro carbies. Lack of drawings halted the further construction.

If you post a pic of it someone may know what it is and where to find the drawings.

Jo

P.S. We have a V8 Challenger model engine in our casting collection  :pinkelephant:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 01:11:32 PM »
Thanks for the project pictures. Happy to see you got that sorted out. Any pictures of your shop space would be great to see also.

Bill

Offline Old Timer

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2019, 02:28:35 PM »
Thanks Bill.

Believe me, you do not want to see my working space, especially now that I am in the process of thinning out the clutter, debris, hoarde of stuff, old bicycle parts dating back to when the kids were still at school. Don't want to frighten away my newfound friends....

But thanks for the thought. Next I am going to make an effort to get all the IC engine stuff together. It is high time I get them all in one place. Then perhaps take new pictures and post them. That 1/4-scale V-8 must be lurking in the gloom of mothballed bits, just like the Seal and Seal Major projects.

Anyone into the older (vintage/antique) type engines? Perhaps such as the old Ohlson & Rice, Taplin Twin, and even the later PAW diesel engines?

Nico

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2019, 03:38:13 PM »
I don't (yet  :-X ) have an Ohlson. But I do have a number of early engines and casting sets including the Taplin Twin, Ladybird, M&M, Majesco 45, Pepperall and a fair few others  ::)

I often do an early aero engine in between other bigger builds.

Jo

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2019, 08:07:55 PM »
I should start with a welcome to you "Old Timer" (I believe that there are several here that could be considered as such  ;):cheers:

I got an original Taplin Twin in marine configuration, but I do not have the other (loose) part of the prop-drive link  :'( an more important as I would have prefered it as an Aero engine - is there anyone here who has drawings for them (even better for all versions) ?

If so I could make the missing parts as I believe that they where originally included when you bought it from new.

Best wishes

Per

Offline Old Timer

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2019, 06:59:39 AM »
Hello Per and thanks.

I have a complete (I think) Taplin twin somewhere. Can't remember if it is a marine version or otherwise. They also came in two sizes, I seem to remember a 15cc and a 30cc version. Cannot even remember which one mine is. Perhaps I even have some more literature on those as well but cannot be sure. (I am sorry to have to often refer to "I cannot remember" but I promise to rectify that as time goes...)

Jo, I have several Ohlsons, also a few other makes such as the Anderson Spitfire and the Super Cyclone, GHQ with its cast iron head and crude cooling fins.... Now I got myself all excited so this weekend I am going engine hunting.

Still have a problem reducing the size of pictures to below 1024 bits. Took some of the Silver Bullet this morning but the confounded thing is over 3mb so I am wrestling to shave some off it...

Nico

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal