Author Topic: A rare lucky break  (Read 1357 times)

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
A rare lucky break
« on: July 07, 2019, 12:09:46 PM »
My elder daughter bought a flat, and in it's brick shed thingy there was a bit of a work bench with a vice - she said I could have it if I unbolted it and took it away. While it looks a bit tired it's all cosmetic - the action is smooth, the thread and quick-release are in excellent nick and the smattering of surface rust just wipes off. It's much heavier and stiffer than any of my other vices, so I'm quite pleased...

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: A rare lucky break
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 12:44:03 PM »
Nice find AS. A little clean up and fresh paint and it'll be like new.

Bill

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 02:00:54 PM »
Useful  :)

How sharp are the serrations on the jaws? That will give you an indication of the use/abuse it has suffered in its life.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 05:30:47 PM »
The jaws have been replaced with pieces of 1"x1/2" flat brass bar - so it looks like at least one of the previous owners had a clue.

AS

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 08:05:23 PM »
I Have used the exact same vice for years, mine has aluminium jaws fitted, you will not be disappointed.

Phil

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 01:50:49 PM »
I just got a bit of a shock. I know proper tools cost proper money and all that, but I was doing some research and I found this viceis still in production at Irwin as the "Record T8434" and comes with a pricetag of a mere a mere £690(incVAT) (see catalogue below). I think I need to lie down...

For something so valuable I think I'll strip and fully refurbish it before bolting it to the bench. A decent piece of kit like this is worth restoring to fully serviceable condition before using. So I need to find somone local with a bead blaster to remove the paint and rust, but after priming I'm torn between the original royal blue (probably in smooth hammerite) and my pot of myford grey enamel.

AS

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 03:04:44 PM »
Interesting, a quick search here in the USA seems to only show this particular vise available from EU/UK suppliers. Irwin's offerings over here are the typical consumer vises in the $75 range, imports no doubt. Definitely worth the extra effort to restore it completely !!

Bill

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 09:16:36 PM »
OK that is serious money  :o

My only gripe with hammer paint / lacquer (Hammerite ?) is the fact that you can't get the proper version from our youth anymore (safety - kind of OK, but annoying in certain areas) .... this means that it does not look like the original, nor feel the same anymore ....  :(

Nice score anyway and I feel like you - it deserves total reconditioning  :whoohoo:

Offline kev

• Portsmouth UK
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 11:04:28 PM »
Record vices are well known in the uk for quality

Offline Edward

• Stanmore, Middlesex UK
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 03:32:23 PM »
v. nice. I have a record 34p cast steel vice that I payed £45 for in a real state, so free is a bargain. Mine is now restored and will deffo outlast me!

Offline Mike Bondarczuk

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 12:39:47 PM »
Attached is a picture of the used Record 84 vice I purchased some 10 years ago for £10 and it is still in its original blue colour.

All in fine working order though I do use aluminium soft jaws for the majority of the work I use it for.

Mike

"Everything I can't find is in a totally secure place"

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2019, 06:20:53 PM »
When the apprentice school at work was being reorganised I got an unused Gressel AX100 (new price ~CHF500) for CHF20.
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal