Author Topic: Shop reorg.  (Read 5953 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Shop reorg.
« on: July 05, 2019, 11:29:35 PM »
The shop is out of hand....it needs effective storage.   Now I put in a Mill shelf system some time back, and it was wonderful!    It just wasn't enough!

So I'm building 30" more to the right of the one in the picture below, The one below is already FULL......I'm also building a shelf unit on the SouthBend and the Levin.   All the wood was cut today...in 95 degree weather...and I'll start the assembly and reorg tomorrow.

I think it's going to help a lot!!!.....

Narrow shelves up against the walls seems to be the best storage solution for tooling for me anyway.   I'm going to try a tool board over the bench for hand tools.....That way I can get rid of the roll around and open up the center isle.

I also put in some even brighter lights on the big mill, and since they're LED, they're nice and cool.    We progress

Progress pictures coming.....

Dave

« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 11:32:56 PM by steamer »
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
Re: Shop reorg.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 11:40:50 PM »
For instance

The base on the Clausing mill has a big cubby.  Great!   I put a angle plate, and my dividing head and tailstock, boring heads, ect in there...well....you have to bend in half, and pick up heavy things....I can still do it, but in 10 years I doubt it...It's all coming out and going on shelves....in an orderly fashion.   Rotary tables together, index and dividing heads together....cutters together....mill straps together....It's amazing how much mill tooling I have once you get it all in one place....the heavy stuff is coming out of the bottom draw of the bench too.....lots of milling strap sets ect.

Get er done!

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 12:54:14 AM »
Looks good Dave!

I don't recall ever seeing, is your shop a stand alone place or part of your house/garage?

Dave

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 01:56:10 AM »
Looking good Dave.  Wow 95 bests the temp here today, but the humidity is still bad!!. More pictures please and things progress.

Bill

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 02:28:24 AM »
Looks good Dave!

I don't recall ever seeing, is your shop a stand alone place or part of your house/garage?

Dave

My shop, 12ft x 18ft,  is an attached garage.

Looking good Dave.  Wow 95 bests the temp here today, but the humidity is still bad!!. More pictures please and things progress.

Bill

Yeah   I wore my daughter out!....i must be getting stronger

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 06:36:27 AM »
That does look like useful shelving, Dave!
I love to see how people store tooling in their shop. Always looking for beter ideas!
Kim

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2019, 11:21:13 AM »
On shelves and against the wall seems best for me    its all where I can see it and not under foot.  Dont make the shelves too deep or you end up stacking one in front of the other.   12"   deep seems to be a  maximum.   The ones im building today are 8"   6 feet high seems to be a maximum for "Working" shelves.    If the shelf space is above that you need a ladder to see whats there, and it's no where near as useful.   Shelves above 6 feet, I use for long term storage, and can be as deep as you like   Up to 16" deep works, with larger vertical spacing.  Again...these shelves are long term storage only, but looking at them today, I see stuff that probably shouldn't be there anymore...you know if you haven't touched it in 10 years, you probably don't need it?....

I've had a roll around for hand tools for years.....and I can honestly say, in a small space...it doesn't work.   My plan is to make a traditional tool board over my bench for all my hand tools and get rid of the roll around.

Dave

« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 11:33:35 AM by steamer »
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2019, 11:56:15 AM »
Old picture of my shop.....it's actually even more crowded now...

And pictures of my bench and surface plate

The tool board will go along the wall above the bench.   The black tool chest will probably go.   It's in the way

I still have the green Logan lathe, and the Aciera F1   I don't have the Green VanNorman mill anymore.  That was replaced with a Clausing 8520

The shelves in the previous post are to the right in the photo below.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2019, 03:09:20 PM »
OK....Step 1

The new lathe shelf.   TS tooling on the bottom, Toolpost tooling on the middle shelf, and a drill index held on with screws on the very top.    I'll have tool bits, files ect on it as well.   Below that is pile in a box on the ways that this will replace....you can see the tool holders and other things start migrating.....not any more.    The toolholder shelf will have a piece of 1" wide aluminum on the front as a rail....that's it.   

Watchmakers lathe shelf assembly next....it's going to look like the commercial one I have pictured below.... But I have a bunch of lumber, so I've already cut out the parts, and I'll put it together.

We're going to get Thunderstorms this afternoon, so after I get that together, I'm taking a break.....Hot out today.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2019, 04:06:49 PM »
Was wondering where Samantha Bell was, now I see  :)

Bill

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2019, 04:46:38 PM »
Levin lathe shelf sitting in fron of the exist shelf that needs to come out next so I can mount the shelf and put a hand tool rack on the front....not my best wood working but progress!
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2019, 07:02:09 PM »
OK   that's better....Now to organize it.     The empty shelf below is for tooling I use all the time.   Vise, rotary table, index head, tool makers vise.

Cutters are just sitting there.....lots to organize there....

We progress.......
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2019, 08:18:50 PM »
Definitely looking better  ;) . You have a lot to organize, but that's a good problem.

Bill

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2019, 09:09:08 PM »
Thanks Bill, I took the old shelf over the Levin down, and relocated/tossed it's contents.....Can't leave silver solder flux just in the jar...You need to put the jar in a ziplock as well..or it drys out.

I relocated the Clausing ER25 collets and drill chucks to a new home on the shelf, and started making end mill racks.  I've had end mills in small draw organizers, but it's never really worked.

It made a dent....though there are a few more to go...

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2019, 05:31:58 AM »
The shelves are looking great - and more importantly, useful! :)

...Can't leave silver solder flux just in the jar...You need to put the jar in a ziplock as well..or it drys out.
The silver solder flux I've been using dries out over time, but I just keep adding some water to reconstitute it.  Seems to work pretty well.  This isn't original with me, I'm sure I read it somewhere.  But maybe its the specific type of flux I use.  May not work with all silver solder flux.

Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal