Author Topic: Lycoming/Continental boxer 4 engine help  (Read 1919 times)

Offline gbritnell

Lycoming/Continental boxer 4 engine help
« on: June 21, 2019, 04:05:43 PM »
Gentlemen,
I've been all over the net looking for information on this engine. Although there are a lot of videos on Youtube I can't find any general dimensions or information without having to buy an expensive shop manual. Does anyone have info or a link?
Thanks,
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Re: Lycoming/Continental boxer 4 engine help
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 04:34:41 PM »
Hello George,

I would suggest contacting the EAA ( Experimental Aircraft Association ), if any organization outside of Lycoming would have dimensional drawings they would be my first choice. If they do have some drawings but will only share with members let me know I might can help. I joined back in the late 70's and was active for may years, my number is 18957 if that will help any.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 11:42:08 PM »
Hi George,
You might check out Aircraft Documentation Services (Norton, Ohio). He has 3-view drawings of quite a few aircraft engines including the classic horizontally opposed Continental and Lycoming 4 cylinders. I've meant to order some engine 3-views, but have never got around to it so I can't  say anything more about the service.

https://airdoc.biz/

The 3-view catalog (long list of aircraft and engines)
https://airdoc.biz/Catalog07-3view.pdf

--Tim

Offline yogi

• Duncannon, PA USA
    • Yogi's Workshop
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 12:10:52 AM »
Hi George,

The only thing I found in one of my books is a cutaway front and side view of a Lycoming engine. The scans aren't the best, scanning out of a book. If you'd like, I'll try to get better ones for you.

I hope that helps.
Yogi

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 01:13:40 AM »
Thanks everyone. Yogi that helps tremendously! Thanks.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 07:00:36 AM »
A very good picture.
I was forced immediately to try an import into Fusion360.
The scale I have used is pure fantasy, because I am sure the conrod is longer than 103 mm.
My scale was based to a connrod bearing diameter of 35 mm in this picture so the rest was scaled in accordance to this.
It is 30 or more years ago, that I have seen a disassembled Lycoming engine last time.
Never the less, I am always impressed by the easy way to get a picture into Fusion360, put a sketch on it and starting the (re)construction.

And yes, just seen I have chosen the inner diameter of the gudgeon pin and not the outer, but anyway I am playing around only.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 07:46:28 AM by fumopuc »
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 02:17:19 PM »
George, this seller on eBay has manuals for many engines, try sending him a message: https://www.ebay.ca/usr/military-aircraft-manuals

Also there are manuals available for download from Lycoming, not sure if the one you are looking for is in the list.

Gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline galland

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2019, 08:48:25 PM »
Hi George,     Not a lot of dimensions but does have height, length and width. Maybe you already found these.     Gary

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal