Author Topic: Myers Stirling Stove Fan  (Read 6283 times)

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: Myers Stirling Stove Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2019, 04:48:11 PM »
I think that put a small groove so the oil could flow around the bearing race; that was 15 years ago when I built it. :) The oil tends to collect in the outer race and gets spread around when the fan runs.
I only add a few drops once in a while, usually when running all day at a show.

Dave

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2019, 06:40:41 PM »
A bit more done in our icy cold garage this weekend.  I bought a flycutter from McMaster to use to finish the upper housing displacer piston bore.  But they only sold 2-1/2" long bits of M2 tool steel for the cutter, and I needed to try and bore to 4.25" or so.  So, bought a longer chunk of A2 steel, and ground and hardened it.  Then re-ground it when I realized I hadn't provided enough relief...and then re-honed it at home several times because it got dull very quickly and the little mini mill would stall out.  Sorry, no photos of this process.  I do need to buy a decent bit of M2 for it though, the A2 just won't harden up as good as the high speed steels.

But the setup and freshly bored part was the same as needed to bore the relief cuts for the standoffs that hold the upper housing to the base.  The standoffs are 0.50" diameter, which puts the relief cuts at 9/16" diameter per print.  Hmm, no 9/16" cutters in my inventory so it looks like I need to use the boring head.  I dialed in on the centers of the bolt holes using a drill bit, switched to a 1/2" end mill in a collet to cut to a set depth (and marked the depth of the bit in the collet to hopefully get pretty close to the same depth on each of 4 cuts) (photo 1).  Then swapped the cutter for the boring head, dialed in to +.030" from just kissing the 0.5" cut, and slowly, slowly at low speed made the final pass (photo 2).  Rinse and repeat for 3 more holes...

It was only just 4 pm by then, so flipped the part over and bored the power piston sleeve bore to about 4.787 (photo 3).  The electronic calipers would not fire up (dead or nearly so batteries), so switched over to my Fowler vernier calipers for measuring the bore.  The steel sleeve provided for this is a rather amazingly round and precise 4.785, with similarly smooth and round i.d., very nice material.  You can see (photo 4) I got pretty close to the mark, probably could have been .001-.002" tighter, but the next step is to loctite the sleeve into the bore, so I wasn't looking for a tight press fit, just a snug slip fit.  These parts came to work with me today, in hopes I can find some old cylindrical mating loctite to set the parts up.

Last a quick family shot of the pieces so far sitting on the garage stairs (photo 5).  Then back inside to warm up with some half-decent Costco (really Jamesons) Irish whiskey (it being Sunday after all) and a steak. :wine1:

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2019, 08:19:05 PM »
Hello Bent,

Looking real good and some nice machine work on your behalf. That is a trick little dude to grab a hold and work with :ROFL:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline bent

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2019, 06:03:37 PM »
Thanks Thomas!

Offline dungeness58

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2023, 05:52:40 PM »
I recently completed, except for painting, my Myers stove fan.  It was a bit of a pain because of the casting work and working around the Coleman cylinder.  I had to order two Coleman Cylinders as the first was low quality and I broke it.  The second, made in Germany, was much better.  I did not use the following castings.  The fan hub, the crankshaft round parts, and the links.  I found them easier to make.  Stainless was used for the crankshaft round parts.  The brass hub and fan blades were sourced from a laser cutter and worked fine.  The brass hub was easy to twist to pitch the blades.

The ends of the Cylinders were ground to make a small flat and true them up.  Silicone O-Rings were used to make the seal.  The four rods were spaced to allow a bit of compression on the O-Rings.  A French Market Coffee can was the correct size, maybe a bit large in diameter, for the displacer piston.

Does it seem like it is running fast enough?  It sure is quiet.

Offline bent

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2023, 10:31:26 PM »
Oy, thanks (?) for the reminder Dungeness, I need to get back to this project one of these days.  Maybe next year, after I "Retire" (though the company wants me to stay on as half-time or on-call consultant or other nonsense).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal