Author Topic: Alyn Foundry Sphinx  (Read 8277 times)

Offline RayW

Re: Alyn Foundry Sphinx
« Reply #135 on: November 28, 2019, 11:51:54 AM »
Finally finished painting Sphinx No.129 and feeling really pleased with the results. The colour is mid-bronze green, the same as my 1/2HP Stuart. I debated what colour to paint the background of the brass nameplate and decided on a dullish red which makes it a nice feature.
The nameplate came originally as a flat plate, and on Graham's suggestion, I machined a piece of hardwood to the correct convex radius ( a 2 5/8" hole saw proved ideal), then sandwiched the plate between that and an aluminium block of the same diameter as the water jacket. A few careful hammer blows on the aluminium block easily bent the plate to the required shape to fit the water jacket .
Next job is to make a trolley and source a suitable cylinder for a water tank. One idea I had is to use a piece of stainless steel ducting of the type used for wood burning stoves.
Ray

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #136 on: November 28, 2019, 01:21:02 PM »
Very nice Ray, very nice indeed.

I like the colour contrast in the badge.

Considering the poor finish of the " as cast " components you've done a remarkable paint job!

Cheers Graham.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #137 on: November 28, 2019, 01:22:33 PM »
Who said you can't polish a turd :LittleDevil:

Looks really good ray.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #138 on: November 28, 2019, 01:28:23 PM »
That does look nice Ray  :)

Who said you can't polish a turd :LittleDevil:

Someone mentioned to me the other day that he thought you sprayed yours Silver   :noidea:

Jo

P.S. I think he was implying they were the dog's not yours personally  ::) and he also mentioned that it is best to keep dogs away from model engines otherwise they might do things on to them but he hadn't seen that reaction previously :-X
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Admiral_dk

• S°ften - Denmark
« Reply #139 on: November 28, 2019, 09:40:25 PM »
It looks really good Ray  :praise2:  and I too like the colours  :ThumbsUp: