Author Topic: Storage case  (Read 1293 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Storage case
« on: June 19, 2019, 10:49:41 PM »
Penn Tool Co. had a recent "slight" sale on Gerstner boxes, etc. so I picked up a small lockable 4 drawer chest, Mainly to store Starrett stuff in. These are no doubt made offshore but still rather nicely done as to fit and finish. These tools are used but I figure keeping them separate and telling the kids about it may bring a bit more one of these days after I'm gone.  So far only have three of the four drawers populated and there is still more room in two plus the empty drawer. I'll find something for it though, there are still the small hole gages and a few other things around.  Added a few pics below ...the calipers I got a while back and are the last model still made in the USA. Now I just need a convenient place for the small chest to sit.

Bill

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Storage case
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 11:19:38 PM »
Very nice box!  I've got a couple antique Gerstner chests that followed me home from antique shows many years ago, they get a lot of use. That one looks like the shop elves will want their own ones soon!

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 11:35:10 PM »
Hello Bill,

Nice box, and come on, you have more counter space in you shop than I have floor space :ROFL: surely you can find a spot....OK if not then send the box to me :lolb:

have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 12:26:31 AM »
Chris, I am afraid that if I don't fill up that last drawer they will use it as a pull out bed  :lolb:

Thomas, there is still counter space but it needs to be close to the machine tool corner for easy access. I think I have it sorted though and know just the place.

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 12:31:13 AM »
Though I don't need another machinists chest since my Kennedy one is in great shape after many years, I did find this video from Gerstner &Sons interesting. Their American made products are over the top price wise. I do have a fondness for red oak though I admit.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ownz8FSapo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ownz8FSapo</a>

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 01:11:10 AM »
Hey Bill

Nice addition!
I purchased my chest and riser chest back in the eighties when I was working a ton of overtime; I sure have enjoyed them over the years.

Dave

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 03:04:43 AM »
That's about when I got my Kennedy stuff too Dave. I guess it's all relative, but I would hate to have to replace them at today's prices!!

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2019, 03:53:18 AM »
A good tool box is a must that would be a nice addition Bill. I bought mine about 8 years ago from grizzly they are all wood construction and well made. The big box is hidden mostly by the mill.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 01:02:15 PM »
Nice looking chest Prof. (ret.). I bought two "hobby chests" from them that were the off shore versions and TBH, I can't really tell that much difference from my US made top chest Lou gave me for Christmas one year. A little beeswax rubbed in and on the drawer slides sure makes a big difference :old:.

Cletus

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal