Author Topic: Vertical hit and miss engine  (Read 26024 times)

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
Re: Vertical hit and miss engine
« Reply #195 on: August 15, 2019, 05:43:09 PM »
 :ThumbsUp:
 Very nice!

John

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #196 on: August 15, 2019, 07:53:24 PM »

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #197 on: August 16, 2019, 02:44:44 PM »
Here is a video of the engine driving the ball lifting machine. Engine is working fine, but ball lifting machine doesn't appreciate being run so fast. It is dropping balls out one side, but my grandson Bren wanted to see it running, and I figured I might as well make a video at the same time.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV2BVIj7Vqo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV2BVIj7Vqo</a>

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #198 on: August 16, 2019, 09:23:06 PM »
I have an idea for a varying load machine which basically is turning a shaft supported in bearings with a weight offset to one side, driven by a gear reduction and pulley system. Engine under load will have to fight gravity when the weight is being lifted on one side. When weight goes "over the top" and begins to descend, engine will go into "miss" mode. I have sold the plans for this engine and have spent all day updating and correcting all of the 70 drawings involved. Tomorrow I will save them as .pdf files and send them off to the people who purchased them.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #199 on: August 18, 2019, 09:36:50 PM »
Aostling and others wanted to see how this engine reacted under load/no load conditions. I don't have any machinery designed to have a varying load, but I did want to show him and others how a varying load affects these model hit and miss engines. So--Turn up your speakers, click the video link, and set back and listen.---Brian
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRtmoje5uJA

Offline doubletop

• Wellington NZ
« Reply #200 on: August 18, 2019, 10:24:26 PM »
Excellent demo Brian  :ThumbsUp:

Pete
?To achieve anything in this game, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.? - Stirling Moss

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #201 on: August 18, 2019, 10:54:41 PM »
I just listened to my video, and noticed that I spoke in error. The engine under load hits every other stroke, same as any four cycle engine, not on every stroke.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #202 on: August 18, 2019, 11:18:36 PM »
Great video!  Hope none of the shop elves wandered under the weight as it fell...  :LittleDevil:

Shows that the engine as a decent amount of power too, lifted that weight pretty quick.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #203 on: August 19, 2019, 01:22:09 AM »
Chris--I first tried it with a 2" diameter pulley. The engine lifted the weight so quickly that there wasn't time to hear the engine change its pace. :o :o The winch pulley on there now is 5/8" diameter.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #204 on: August 19, 2019, 02:53:21 AM »
Nicely done Brian.  I’ve been away on vacation and am just getting caught up on everyobe’s Projects.   :pinkelephant:
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #205 on: August 19, 2019, 03:13:14 AM »
Brian,
All I have to say is, good reaction time releasing the clutch and dropping the load to the floor. Looks and runs great, good demo.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #206 on: August 19, 2019, 09:39:32 AM »
this engine is again a fine runner, congrats !
very nice demo, not that crude as you said in the video, as this setup is a simple way to measure power : Just need the figures for the time spent to lift the weight... weight(Kg) x 9.81 x height(m) / time(s) = Joule/s ie Watt.
thanks to share all these posts !

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #207 on: August 22, 2019, 03:17:32 PM »
I am now in that "post building slump" that always follows a successful build. The engine worked great, started and ran almost the first time I tried it, and ran well. I did manage a video showing the engine running under load conditions while lifting a weight. Rather crude, but it did the job. I have had numerous ideas for making a machine to drive that has a variable load, but that is not as easy as you would think. It would have to cycle in and out of the "load" side automatically, but can not transfer any load back into the engine when being ran in the "no load" situation. --In other news, I got stung by a damned bee yesterday. I was mowing my lawn with my garden tractor, when I felt a small "jab" in my right hand. I looked down at my hand and seen a big yellow and black bee, and immediately gave my hand a shake to knock it off. The bee drilled me, and damn, did it ever hurt. I haven't been stung by a bee since before my dad died, so it had to be over thirty years ago. I'm not allergic to bee stings so  finished cutting the grass and came in the house and held an ice cube against the sting for an hour until it finally quit hurting.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #208 on: August 22, 2019, 09:13:10 PM »
I avoid the “post building slump” by planning the next project we’ll in advance of completing the current one.  This does have its drawbacks however... I sometimes get so enthused in the next build that it’s hard to keep enthusiasm on the current one to complete it !   :o
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #209 on: August 22, 2019, 10:34:40 PM »
If I do build something with a variable load. I want it to be fully automatic. The problem is that when you slow something down enough that it can be easily seen, the motor gains a great deal of torque advantage. When the motor gains a great deal of torque advantage, then you need an even heavier load. And whatever it is, I don't want it to be much larger than the motor. I also don't want the machine to "feed back" to the engine when the engine is in it's "no load" side of the sequence.---thinking---thinking--

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal