Author Topic: Vertical hit and miss engine  (Read 25637 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: Vertical hit and miss engine
« Reply #180 on: August 13, 2019, 04:07:42 PM »
If any of you "Newbees" ever wondered--This is the electrical wiring required for one of these engines. The condenser wire attaches to the only terminal on the ignition points. So does the blue wire, which runs out to one side of the coil  which is not shown, Another wire runs from the other coil terminal back to a 12 volt battery. From the battery a wire runs thru a switch and then back to a ground anywhere on the engine. When the points open, it breakes the circuit, and this induces a spark in the sparkplug wire. If the engine runs away on you and starts to over rev, you shut the switch off.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #181 on: August 13, 2019, 04:51:01 PM »
Like I said--Something a little different. The starter hub bolts to the flywheel. The starter spud fits into my 3/8" variable speed drill.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #182 on: August 13, 2019, 07:15:29 PM »
So, here it is guys.--First run. I tried to get it to start for about half an hour. It would fire and run if I put a few drops of gasoline down the sparkplug hole, but then die off once those few drops were burned. This lead me to believe that the spring on the atmospheric intake valve was too strong. I removed the spring and cut two coils off, then reinstalled it. The engine started right up, as you see in the video.  My next trick will be to get the engine running properly with the hit and miss lever in place.---Brian
.<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd51f2bFJuA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd51f2bFJuA</a>

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #183 on: August 13, 2019, 07:35:26 PM »
Excellent!!

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #184 on: August 13, 2019, 08:51:54 PM »
Hello Brian,

Beautiful.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #185 on: August 13, 2019, 09:19:25 PM »
 :ThumbsUp:
Very nice!
 That was (another) quick design & build!
Congrats!

John

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #186 on: August 13, 2019, 09:48:47 PM »
Fat lady hasn't sung yet John. The hit and miss part is what I'm looking forward to.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #187 on: August 14, 2019, 01:10:47 AM »
Brian,
I saw that you had it running earlier at work but couldn't look at the video till now. Run's like a top. Not having built a hit & miss engine I could only have dredged from the depths of my memory the bit about fixing the not getting fuel part by softening up the spring. Great work now the cherry on top of the sundae is the governor.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #188 on: August 14, 2019, 02:34:35 AM »
Fat lady hasn't sung yet John. The hit and miss part is what I'm looking forward to.

Maybe....
 But after following years of your work...

She'll sing like a beautiful bird...

Brian, you've done a beautiful job & I admire your design & build skills.

John

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #189 on: August 14, 2019, 12:42:57 PM »
This is the first engine I have successfully built with metal rings. The compression is phenomenal, and the ability of the engine to coast is much improved over a similar engine using Viton rings.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #190 on: August 14, 2019, 04:48:33 PM »
 I have adjusted the valve and ignition timing a bit to slow this current engine down, and have it running at a much more sedate pace now.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jjheq1pEPQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jjheq1pEPQ</a>

Offline doubletop

• Wellington NZ
« Reply #191 on: August 14, 2019, 09:43:51 PM »

I have adjusted the valve and ignition timing a bit to slow this current engine down, and have it running at a much more sedate pace now.

Brian

Brilliant! - It always amazes me how quickly you get good results from a new engine.

Pete
?To achieve anything in this game, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.? - Stirling Moss

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #192 on: August 14, 2019, 10:53:20 PM »
Pete--It always amazes me to.---Brian

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #193 on: August 15, 2019, 03:16:37 PM »
We're finished. The engine hits and misses and runs excellently. Keep in mind that there are variables which can be tweaked to give even better hits and misses. The strength of the spring directly below the face cam, the height of the fixed collar below the ring supporting the counterweights. The ignition timing, and the needle valve on the carburetor. Even the size of the brass counterweights.  I sell the complete drawing package as .pdf files for $25 Canadian funds, payed into my Paypal account to brupnow@rogers.com  The solid models can be included as .step files or x_t Parasolid files, or even as native Solidworks 2015 files. This has been a fun build, and a relatively fast build. ---Brian Rupnow
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8pMtPM8HUI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8pMtPM8HUI</a>

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #194 on: August 15, 2019, 03:34:44 PM »
What is my final opinion of the purchased cast iron rings? They work great. They are a damned snug fit into a piston groove cut with a 0.094" cut off tool, so I had to lay them on a flat sheet of glass with some 600 grit aluminum oxide lapping paste and lap then on both sides to get a proper fit into my piston grooves. They do go onto the piston with much breath holding and much 10W30 oil. I was really afraid that I was going to break them, but didn't. Before being installed on the piston I tried them for fit inside the cylinder. One ring had  a gap of 0.004" so was fine. one has an end gap of about 0.002". so I worked the gap a little bit with a points file to widen the gap to 0.004". I couldn't get them to compress enough to go into the cylinder after they were installed on the piston, so I put the cylinder up on the lathe and cut a 20 or 25 degree lead in chamfer on the end closest to the crankshaft. That, along with more 10W30 oil made it possible to install the pistons. This engine rotates very freely with the sparkplug out. Considerably easier than an engine using Viton rings. would I buy these rings again?--Most definitely

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal