Author Topic: Vertical hit and miss engine  (Read 25638 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: Vertical hit and miss engine
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2019, 12:46:42 PM »
Art--I always use two grub screws. One over the keyway and one at 90 degrees to it.---Brian

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2019, 02:28:57 PM »
Brian,
Do you cut a flat 90 degrees from the key? So you don't bugger up the shaft.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2019, 02:42:58 PM »
No Art, I generally bugger up the shaft. Flywheel-3  Flywheel has been flipped around 180 degrees, gripped on the inside of the .438" recess created yesterday. That allowed me to take a cut on the outside diameter to clean it up, and allowed me to put the recess in the side which is now exposed. All of the major machining is now finished. There will be a bit of polishing, and I still have to cut the keyway and drill/tap a couple of holes thru the hub for set screws.

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2019, 04:43:26 PM »
Hello Brian,

That is going to look good on the engine and it will give the engine a bit more to the size.  :popcorn:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2019, 06:07:24 PM »
So--Gas tank and flywheel are mounted on engine. The flywheel is just posed for a picture. It still has to have the keyway and set screws added. Things look a bit out of proportion right now, but once the cylinder and cylinder head are mounted it will look more like an engine.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2019, 06:37:14 PM »
A big thank you going out to all of those who stopped by, said Hi, and left a comment. I like to hear from you guys.---Brian

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2019, 05:25:11 PM »
I just had a very cylindrical morning. Material is grey cast iron. Still needs some holes tapped and some trimming on the bottom flange, but  I'm happy with the results.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2019, 09:30:29 PM »
Wow, this one is shaping up very quickly!
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline cheepo45

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2019, 02:01:52 PM »
Looking good!
This would be about 2 years work for me!
 Scott

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2019, 07:05:51 PM »
Cylinder head-1  The cylinder head has a finished diameter of 1.780" and a length of 0.800". A piece of 2" diameter stock was purchased and cut to 2 1/2" long. The chuck jaws extend out 1.25" from the face of the chuck, and I need some space between the jaws and where the turn down ends. Both ends were faced to be "square" with the central axis, and then the turned down area was turned to 1.780" diameter 1 1/4" long. 

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2019, 07:07:48 PM »
Hi Scott--We all work at different speeds. Every time I do this I promise myself that I will take it slow and easy. Then once I start on a project, I work like a fiend until it is finished.---Brian

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2019, 10:42:55 PM »
Next step was to mount the piece in my mill vice. Normally I would have a v-block on one vice jaw, but the 2" diameter piece was too big to allow for a v-block so I just mounted it between the jaws, setting firmly on the floor of the vice. Four bolt holes were drilled and counterbored, and the valve guide holes were drilled and reamed. The piece finishes off at 0.8" thick, so I made sure to drill at least 1" deep. Next step was to tilt the vice at 40 degrees to mill the angled part of the head and drill/counterbore the sparkplug hole. It is drilled blind at this point, and since I only have a tapered tap for the metric sparkplug hole I won't tap the hole until I have put the recess in the far side of the head.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2019, 03:33:15 AM »
Brian,
You are making good progress. I must admit to working in spurts. I sometimes get very motivated, for example when NAMES is coming up. I work 4/10's so at the end of the work day its hard to motivate myself to stand in front of a machine some more. Though my shop is in disarray while I work on the surround to fit on the mill bench.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2019, 12:46:48 PM »
Cylinder head-3   Cylinder head has been parted off from the parent material, then flipped over and remounted in the 3 jaw chuck, to be taken down to finished overall height of 0.80" Once it is faced to exact length, the exposed face is machined 0.050" deeper, and a 1.00" spigot left in the center. Next step will be over to the rotary table to finish off what is now the exposed surface.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2019, 02:24:09 PM »
And now we reach the end. The cylinder head is flipped over and mounted in the chuck on my rotary table. It is centered under the quill, and I have a piece of 3/8" round stock turned to 11/32" on one end. I dial in the appropriate offsets as per the drawing, and YES--- the end of the rod fits into both previously reamed holes, simply by moving in the X axis on my mill. I put in a 3/8" endmill to cut the very slight counterbores at each reamed valve cage hole, then dial in the position of the slot which exposes the tip of the sparkplug and mill it 1/2" deep. Then the cylinder head is removed from the rotary table, taken out to my main garage where my bench vice lives, and I tap the sparkplug hole. Then a little clean-up, and mounted too the engine.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal