Author Topic: Vertical hit and miss engine  (Read 25622 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: Vertical hit and miss engine
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2019, 02:43:57 PM »
Well sir!!--that went amazingly well. Next step will be to drill and tap 16 holes and get everything bolted together. Once that detail is looked after I will begin profiling all 3 components together.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2019, 03:16:44 PM »
Looks like a metal rolling pin to make swarf cookies...

Seriously, great start on the engine, coming together nicely!

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2019, 07:59:41 PM »
Everything has been drilled, counterbored, and tapped. I had the part set up and centered in the milling machine to do the drilling. Before tearing down my set-up, I put a sharp pointed rod in the mill chuck and used the DRO to measure off the distance to four of the "sides" in the X and Y axis, then kept a little down-pressure on the pointed end while I cranked the mill table  in X and Y to mark the lines. Then I printed off a 1:1 scale drawing of one of the sides, glued it to cardboard, and lined the cardboard up with the existing marked lines to allow me to mark the other four lines. I see a world of band-sawing in my future!!!

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2019, 04:23:30 AM »
Brian,
Looks to be shaping up real well. Bandsaw is better than a hacksaw.🤔
Art
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 02:08:27 AM by Art K »
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2019, 04:47:24 PM »
Art--If I had to hacksaw all the pieces, I would take up some other hobby. And after a world of band sawing and milling the outer profile is finished. I am kind of amazed at how small this main body actually is.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2019, 11:06:52 PM »
At the very last moment, I decided to put an o-ring groove in the top of the main body. This engine will have a "wet" crankcase, and it's either go with an o-ring or put a gasket between the main body and the cylinder to prevent oil leaks.

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2019, 11:39:02 PM »
Hello Brian,

The body looks really good, an industrial shape. Looking just at the body it does look big, but then there is the hand held calculator and the scale changes. :popcorn:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2019, 02:32:03 PM »
So there we have it. the main crankcase and side-plates are finished. I was going to make the cast iron cylinder next, but there is a caveat. There has to be a cut on one side of the fins to allow clearance for the governor balls, and since I don't have the gears yet, I can't establish that dimension until the gears arive hear and  can model them. Not to fear though. There are plenty of other small parts to make while I wait for the gears to show up.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2019, 02:52:22 PM »
Looks great Brian, and moving right along.  I've found, as you evidently have too, is that with your own design you can change things on the fly and let the design go where it wants/needs to go.

Looking forward to seeing more on this build.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2019, 10:14:33 PM »
And now you know how I spent the rest of my day. Making little pieces.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2019, 11:55:55 PM »
It was a lovely sunny day here today---and I couldn't think of a single damned thing to do outside. Good wife didn't want to do anything. So---After my fat mans walk, I spent the day building a gas tank. It turned out okay, other than the fact that the end of the 7/16" post ended up undersize by about .015". I knurled it to bring it up to a larger diameter. It is supposed to be a "snug" fit into the bracket bolted to the side of the engine. The post and the filler neck are silver soldered to the main tank body. The tank body is counterbored on both ends, and a piece of 1/2" thick plate is J.B. Welded into each end. I will let it set up for 24 hours, then spend a bit of time polishing out any imperfections and drill/tap one end for a fitting.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2019, 03:52:08 PM »
I was just about ready to change out my lathe chuck jaws to start machining the flywheel. I wondered "What else do I have to machine with these current jaws?"--An ignition cam!!!--So, a cam was made this morning and the cam and points were installed on the engine to make sure everything fit properly.---It did. Good wife just showed up and asked for help cleaning some rooms. Flywheel will be started later.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2019, 09:02:43 PM »
Here we have flywheel #1--A piece 1 3/8" long cut from a 4 1/2" dia. billet of steel. First set-up is with reverse jaws in the chuck, not worrying about centering  at this stage. Flywheel material has been tapped on the face with dead blow hammer to make certain it is "seated" against the three contact surfaces on the far side of the face you see.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2019, 11:18:52 PM »
Flywheel-2   First a couple of facing cuts across the entire face to get rid of the saw cut (saw cuts are never quite square to the central axis of stock.) After facing, drill and ream the 3/8" center hole completely through. Since the 3/8" center hole is not large enough to allow entrance of one of my heavier boring tools, I put a 5/8" endmill in the tailstock chuck and cut to the depth of the recess I want, which is 0.438" in this case. Then with my lead screw in reverse I start at the center and cut out towards the rim, taking 0.020" depth of cut each time. The 0.428"step" is where I am going to grip with the chuck jaws in my next set-up. This will allow me to turn the outer diameter just enough to clean it up. The recess in the other side of the flywheel is relatively small, so I will probably cut the recess in the same set-up, thus keeping everything hopefully concentric.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2019, 02:05:11 AM »
Brian,
Great to see progress on the flywheel. Are you going to use a grub screw to tighten the flywheel to the crank?
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal