Author Topic: Vertical hit and miss engine  (Read 25642 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: Vertical hit and miss engine
« Reply #120 on: July 18, 2019, 08:20:58 PM »
So--I'm 72 hours into this thing since the surgery. I've had no pain, and vision has cleared in that eye, a bit every day. It still isn't what I had hoped for, and a follow up appointment with the surgeon today left questions. The "super duper" ocular device which was surgically implanted in my left eye may not have been able to totally fix the astigmatism in that eye. Or--it may get better as it heals more. Or--due to the extent of the astigmatism, I may have to go in for laser surgery to smooth off the surface of the cornea. This left me disappointed, and prompted a call to the laser surgery people. "Oh yes, we can fix that in one easy step!!"--Sounds familiar. $2500 of my fine Canadian money for that quick little "step" with the laser people.--And--they won't do it until at least four months after the cataract surgery. Damn--I wasn't expecting this. Big hope is that with more time for the eye to heal it will clear up better without having anything else done to it.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #121 on: July 18, 2019, 08:42:40 PM »
Despite what the brochures and ads claim, cataract and laser surgery does not guarantee a return to perfect vision again. The cataract surgery does make a big improvement over the cloudyness, and does stop the progression towards loss of vision, but the implanted lenses do have limits. They have to guess a bit at the prescription of it, so it is not uncommon to require glasses afterwards. Even the laser surgery, which in the ads make it look like you can do without glasses afterwards even for non-cataract cases, cannot guarantee those results either. Everyone I know who has had the laser surgery still need glasses in some situations, though the strength is much lower than the glasses they had before the procedure. LOTS of weasel-words in the fine print, which they are hoping you can't see.

Bottom line - you are getting rid of the problems from the cataracts, and the degeneration that they would have had. That is a huge thing to be happy for. You are not going to have 20 year old eyes again, but you will be seeing better than you were. It does take several months for the cataract implants to settle in and give you stabile vision again, they should not even be attempting to give a long term prescription for glasses for a month or two. 

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #122 on: July 18, 2019, 09:25:34 PM »
I tend to agree with Chris here - though not from personal experience ....

The "wife" (not married) of one of my friends had the laser operations on both eyes a few years back, and she had told me that her very long distance sight is way better than it ever has been in all her life and though she don't really need glasses for close views that is not quite as good as when she was young .... and never can bee => so that part is very slightly worse than before. She is glad she did it, but it does NOT live perfectly up to what she took the promises for ....

Get better soon, and best wishes

Per

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #123 on: July 26, 2019, 10:48:31 PM »
I can't see well---But I can see well enough. One eye is fixed. This coming Monday other eye will be "fixed". Then I get to wait for a month to get proper glasses. I was so bored that I decided to do a little machining, and this is the result. I have machined both parts of a two part rocker arm. Eventually, they will get silver soldered together to make a single rocker arm. This is a case of "form follows function". Originally that 1/2" diameter cam follower was 3/8" diameter, but I had interference issues between the "rise" on the cam and the underside of the rocker arm. All is well now, so I will go back and change my drawings "to suit".

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #124 on: July 27, 2019, 01:55:54 PM »
I knew you couldn’t stay away from the shop long  :)

Glad things are going well, even though not as well as expected.

When I had my right eye done I discovered the color “white” again.  Same experience for You?
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #125 on: July 27, 2019, 02:08:02 PM »
Nah, colors are all the same. It's just right now that some of them are blurry.---Brian

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #126 on: July 28, 2019, 03:14:40 PM »
Today is the last day for me to play in my machine shop. I go in for my second eye surgery tomorrow, so won't be able to do much for the next week or so, except fumble around like Mr. Magoo. Something I did do this past week was to make the two part rocker arm and assemble it, and get the complete gear train and face cam and rocker arm finished. This has worked out very well, and I am pleased with it. The face cam is one which I used previously on a horizontal hit and miss engine, so I know it works. Enjoy the video.---Brian
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbEzsoLka94" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbEzsoLka94</a>

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #127 on: July 28, 2019, 03:33:01 PM »
That's pretty slick Brian. Nice work.

John

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #128 on: July 28, 2019, 04:00:12 PM »
Hello Brian,

Like John stated, pretty slick. Hope you are back to 100% very soon.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #129 on: July 28, 2019, 04:42:46 PM »
Excellent job on that rocker and cam, that works great! And best of luck on the second eye!

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #130 on: July 28, 2019, 05:00:53 PM »
Whenever I have two pieces that must be silver soldered together and must also hold a very close angular relationship, it calls for either a welding jig to hold the two pieces together in the correct relationship, or to scribe a line on the two parts while "in place" and then match up the center holes and scribe marks in a holding vice. I chose the second of these two options, which is the less accurate method. I got lucky. With everything reassembled as in the previous video when the cam follower is not "up" on the cam, I have room to slip a 0.004" feeler gauge between the end of the valve stem and the round part of the rocker arm which sets directly above it. There must always be an air gap there when the cam follower is not "up" on the cam, because if there isn't the exhaust valve will never seal tightly to hold compression.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #131 on: July 29, 2019, 08:10:43 PM »
This build seems to have passed me by  :( looking good as ever  :praise2: I hope your vision improves rapidly. I have worn distance glasses since I was around 8 and added reading glasses at around 50. Now for close stuff I take the reading glasses off as well.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #132 on: July 29, 2019, 09:05:46 PM »
I had my second eye surgery for cataracts this morning, and everything went amazingly well. Great news about my left eye, the one I had done two weeks ago. It has improved a lot over the past two weeks and will not require any further surgery. Now I get to wait 4 weeks until I go see my usual optometrist to see what glasses I will need. Today is the first time I've been able to read my email without any glasses on for many, many, years. Why, just looking out my back door I can see Giants turning cart-wheels, statues wearing high-heels----

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #133 on: July 29, 2019, 09:10:00 PM »
 :ThumbsUp:
 Glad to hear everything turned out well Brian!

John

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #134 on: July 29, 2019, 09:54:28 PM »
Glad to hear everything went well Brian; you’ll be back in the shop before you know it.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal