Author Topic: Indexable end or face mill reccs  (Read 1788 times)

Offline PJPickard

Indexable end or face mill reccs
« on: June 13, 2019, 11:35:52 AM »
I have a bunch of iron castings to mill and I'd like to invest in a indexable tool. There are SO MANY options! I'm not looking for the cheapest thing out there, but a good tool that will stand the test of time. Can anyone recc. something?

Thanks!

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
Re: Indexable end or face mill reccs
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 12:27:10 PM »
Before any suggestions can be made some indications of what size and power of machine it's to be used on would be a help.
Ian S C

Offline PJPickard

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 01:56:40 AM »
Machine(s) are both Bridgeport size 1/1/2 -3 HP mills One has 2.5 axis CNC, R8 arbors

Thanks!

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 03:55:50 AM »
There is a difference between a mini mill and a Bridgeport, you can probably use a 75 mm face mill. I use a 50 mm face mill on my 1.5 hp Rexon mill.
Ian S C

Offline john mills

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 07:33:05 AM »
i look at the size of most of the castings you want to machine what machining to be done does it have to go to a
square step ,is it just facing you are thinking of .dont go very big on light low powered machines with R8 arbor.
More detail on size of machining to be done  but the 50 mm face mills i have seen recently look very useful on these size of machines   .

Offline PJPickard

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 11:05:00 AM »
Thanks guys, yes the machines are Bridgeport type and R8. Castings are parts for a 1.5" scale locomotive so range from parts about 2" square to parts about 3"x4"x5".  I just was looking to see if anyone had a favorite setup that they liked. Mostly for face milling, but some square corner work too.

Thanks!

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 11:33:08 AM »
In that case be weary of the very cheap 50mm face cutters from the likes of Banggood. The heads can be a loose fit on the arbor, supplied inserts are often not very good and decent ones will cost more than the whole head, arbor and inserts. Then to top it all the inserts don't sit quite right so the edge of teh insert will contact a vertical face so you end up with it being slightly angled.

Like most things your" cheapest but good" requirement will be hard to meet.

Offline john mills

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 04:31:38 PM »
some times a known brand costing more is a better buy in the end.i have not used cheepyies.I have been using old
Seco cutters  38mm   50mm   63mm dia and a kennametal 3"  i have used these for many years.that 38mm
has not been made for many years but suits the small machine i use it on .
The 63mm has been superseded for 20 years they were indistrucable and i have seen them survive quite a few
crashes on heavy machines.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 04:37:14 PM by john mills »

Offline Florian Eberhard

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 04:54:22 PM »
Something else to think about:

1. The price for the cutter body cost is not as important as the cost of the inserts.
2. Its best to choose those inserts which are the cheapest per edge!  - nod the cheapest per insert (!).
3. I don't know how it is elsewhere but in Switzerland and Germany, you find lots of inserts on ebay (and simliar platforms). And they are often sold for a very good price!.
4. And for Hobbyists: also watch the number of cutting edges your cutter has. If it has 5 edges its pretty good because you most commonly buy inserts in quantities of 10. But if your cutter for example has 6 inserts, you will need to order two boxes to be able to replace the inserts alltogether. (of course you will somewhen get an even number again but that may be after the 4th or 5th box.

Oh and also - if you use a cutter with Iso-inserts, you will find them from various brands unlike if you have a brand-specific type of insert.

Florian

Offline john mills

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 11:48:10 PM »
the number of inserts the cutter uses  the triangle three tooth are good on light machines too many teeth put more
load on the spindle i liked the 63mm cutter it took 6 inserts but used a square insert and each corner of each insert
giving each insert 8 corners  .not so good on low power machines slight negative rake positive rake  or no rake as the three tooth cutters leave three cutting edges better than the modern cutters that have shaped inserts giving one 2 corners  but they do preform well .square inserts with appositive rake give four cutting edges but will have
an approach angle not cut to a square shoulder but good cutting geometry for low  power . 
I  found high angle pick up swaf and if you were to try coolant ,throw it up and all over the place.I would not be using coolant  on the cast iron .
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 12:06:55 AM by john mills »

Offline PJPickard

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2019, 11:45:13 AM »
Thanks again for the ideas, like my first post said I am NOT looking for the cheapest option. In fact I refuse to buy junk stuff from China, or anywhere else. I'm looking to invest a few hundred dollars here and was hoping for some first hand reports since I thought some would have some experience with cast iron. After some research I think I have found a few options. I'll report back after I get one.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal