Engines > Your Own Design

Woody - but not quite a Forest

(1/5) > >>

Jasonb:
I have always liked the look of the Forest engine reproductions that Wayne Grennings produced and thought that I might have a go at a smaller one myself. Chances of getting the non compression carrier flame ignition to work at the smaller sizes even if I could make up a suitable cocktail of gasses was slim but I thought it may work as a flame licker using the proven mechanicals of my Chuky and Alyn Foundries Chuk as a basis.

Graham from Alyn had said that it would not be easy and he was right, I could not get it to run due to a few factors. Firstly the Evan's beam linkage of the crankshaft adds more drag, you can't easily get a clean flame with the shutter rods etc directly above and the biggest problem was with the can being so close to the shutter it tended to push it off the port face.

I had always had it in the back of my mind that if I could not get it to run as a flame licker it may be possible to convert to an air/steam engine with poppet valves much like the Jowitt engine I made a while ago. Even this was going to be difficult due to the lack of room so a couple of weeks ago I decided that a spool valve may work and made up the various part which resulted in a running engine.

It will run even slower than this but starts to get a bit jerkey as it is only single acting, at this speed it will run for at least 20mins on my small compressor without the tank needing to refill so not too noisy to run. It was an interesting project with a few more first crossed off the list such as first spool vale, first Evans bean and first spiral cooling fins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C77uVWmB0k

Another successful project for the Red Devil and Green Dragon combination

J
I won't do a full build thread but will in coming posts describe the major bits

b.lindsey:
Fine looking engine Jason with some unique characteristics as well like the spiral fins!!  Well done.

Bill

Brian Rupnow:
Jason--That is just beautiful. Amazing machining and paint job. You are a credit to all model engine machinists.---Brian

Dave Otto:
What a cutie!
Beautiful work Jason.

Dave

Twizseven:
Jason,

Lovely work as usual.  What I want to know is how do you find time to go to work, let alone do any family/home related stuff.  Do you work 24hrs a day?

Colin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version