Author Topic: Drill press.....over rated?  (Read 2262 times)

Offline AdeV

• Administrator
Re: Drill press.....over rated?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2019, 05:49:37 AM »
I’ve had access to at least one pillar drill since forever... and have barely ever used it.

Some time ago, I bought an auto-reversing tapping head, which I’ve always run in the mill. Recently, I got a better tapping head with an overload clutch -  but using it pretty much uses all of the vertical travel on my mill.... so I’m thinking of mounting it permanently on the pillar drill... it has some end float, so total accuracy when tapping is not required, so it seems like the perfect use for an otherwise surplus pillar drill to me  :)
Cheers,
Ade
--
I'm just a poor old man. I have no time for law-breakers. My legs are grey. My ears are gnarled. My eyes are old and bent.

Offline paulc1

• my webpage
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2019, 09:02:57 AM »
I got rid of my pillar drill because like you Steamer I was stuck for space, now I swap between collets and a chuck on my milling machine and it sounds great to begin with but quickly becomes a pain and I fear that the constant swapping over will end up damaging the collets and chuck because I always have to drift them out after removing the draw bar,

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2019, 01:03:36 PM »
Having had a variety of old knackered worn out British pillar drills over the years, I eventually ended up with a nearly new Chinese imported Nu-Tool drill. It was the most awful piece of rubbish I have ever owned and I decided that before I retire I would do something about it.

So I have very recently replaced it with a hardly used ex-school Boxford PD8 back geared pillar drill that has inverter speed control fitted as well, the difference is chalk and cheese and it is a real pleasure to use, each persons circumstances will be different regarding available space etc, but I would not be without my drill.

Phil

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal