Author Topic: 15cc Seal and 30cc Seal Major  (Read 29953 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: 15cc Seal and 30cc Seal Major
« Reply #165 on: August 09, 2019, 07:37:45 AM »
I am not expecting it to run much faster than 5,000 rpm Roger.

I still am working on that bit of hard stuff. It needs shallow cuts to get any sort of surface and to prevent it work hardening. I cannot see any other use for it other than the bin. I knew it was a horrible bit under its protective coating, other than the way the coating developed, the clue is the coloured marking on its end  ;)

If it fails I have plenty of CI  :)

Jo

Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #166 on: August 09, 2019, 08:17:44 AM »
Could you not knock the corners off one of those many rectangular blocks of nice steel that you have and turn that round? May be quicker then all those light cuts and then finding that you can't cut a nice taper in the bore due to tool deflecting off the hard metal.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #167 on: August 09, 2019, 09:50:54 AM »
I have looked at the numbers for a 63.5mm CI flywheel. I have two different maximum values for maximum surface speed. One is taken from an old insurance recomdation, 60 mph or 27 m/s, The other is for class 30 grey cast iron pulleys, 7500 fpm or 38 m/s (links below). Both these values have a significant factor of safety.
I think that the higher value could be used in your case as this is turned from a billet rather than cast which gives a maximum of 11400 rpm. The more conservative value allows 8100 rpm

I started looking at these values for my horizontal engine which has a 125mm RC spoked flying wheel. I used the more conservative value for this which gave 4120 rpm. The engine will rev to around 4000 rpm

Best regards

Roger

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #168 on: August 09, 2019, 11:47:08 AM »
Could you not knock the corners off one of those many rectangular blocks of nice steel that you have and turn that round? May be quicker then all those light cuts and then finding that you can't cut a nice taper in the bore due to tool deflecting off the hard metal.

I don't have any thick bits of steel large enough to make even the smaller Seal flywheel out of  :-\

Thanks Roger. I am continuing with the bit of hard stuff, it is boring ok with a good tip so it looks like I will have finally found a use for this bit of hard stuff  :cheers:

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #169 on: August 09, 2019, 12:02:34 PM »
It must have been the thickness of the rust layer that made me think they were larger than you say they are.

I've got a nice shiny bit of 80mm dia for the midget engines flywheel though it has got some green stuff on the end ;)

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #170 on: August 09, 2019, 10:14:35 PM »

I still am working on that bit of hard stuff. It needs shallow cuts to get any sort of surface and to prevent it work hardening. I cannot see any other use for it other than the bin. I knew it was a horrible bit under its protective coating, other than the way the coating developed, the clue is the coloured marking on its end  ;)

Jo

I trust there is no connection between you chewing away at that recalcitrant lump and the National Grid doing a nosedive ...??  :thinking:  :Lol:

https://news.sky.com/story/large-parts-of-london-and-south-east-without-electricity-after-power-cut-11781338

Dave

ChuckKey

« Reply #171 on: August 10, 2019, 12:27:14 PM »
Is it worth trying to normalise the lump of steel? I have tried this a few times and never had much joy.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #172 on: August 11, 2019, 05:50:00 PM »
I am pleased to say the roughing out of the flywheels from the available material is now completed. My Sumitomo boring bar had no problem with the bit of hard stuff  ;)

It is only when you put the replacement Seal flywheel next to the one it came with that you can see how small it is. I can only think someone had plans to run this engine rather fast  :paranoia: I have left the pulley groove off for now as I will be using that surface to hold when I cut the taper later.

A quick family shot of the engine bits so far before I think about the next bit to do :thinking:

Jo

P.S. Thank you Dave for that spare bit of EN1A  :)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #173 on: August 13, 2019, 06:26:28 PM »
I had forgotten about the Major's connecting rods   :old: The other week I had set up the connecting rod machining jig on Tgs ready to go and got side tracked  :-X I need the connecting rod big ends done before I machine up the crank so today I bored the big ends.

I have made some go/no go gauges (11.1mm, 11.09mm, 11.08mm and 11.5mm) to enable me to accurately bore the big end to size, the correct sized gauge is the green end.

The conrods were positioned back on the jig using a pointer to confirm the centre line: remember there is only 0.5mm on either side of the hole before we break through to the screw hole, so it is important to get this right. The big end was drilled out to 8mm and the line of the hole relative to the cap screw heads checked  :paranoia: Before boring out using the go/no go gauges to get a nice accurate hole.

If you look at the position of the holes in both the top and the bottom of the conrods and on either side it looks like the spare metal around the bores is uneven. The good news is there is a lot to come off each face so it can be trued up later. Out of interest the weight of the Major con rods are over 5% different from each other so if they don't balance out during the next phase of machining I might have to have a fettle to get them more even.

In the meantime someone has learnt how to use Fleabay  :pinkelephant: so I might have to be more careful of my computer in the future and make sure it is locked down before I go out to the workshop   :stir:

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #174 on: August 13, 2019, 07:24:17 PM »
So did you he win the CHUK? I think Graham still has some sets available that he had done at the same time as our other engines.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #175 on: August 14, 2019, 06:36:28 PM »
He has been eating snickers ice cream ever since but I am not sure if it celebrations/commiserations or that old rule that any excuse is a good excuse :noidea: I'm not going to risk asking and wait to see what the postman brings  ;)

I understand Graham had sets of the Chuk No 1 castings available (like the Plank engine) not the inverted no 2 engine, which we also don't have  :thinking:

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #176 on: August 15, 2019, 07:15:40 AM »
I understand Graham had sets of the Chuk No 1 castings available (like the Plank engine) not the inverted no 2 engine, which we also don't have  :thinking:

Are you sure? The photos from the foundry showed the No2 same as in the e-bay listing, did not see any A frames like the Plank. The Plank is the inverted (cylinder on top) with an A frame on Graham's version.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #177 on: August 15, 2019, 10:39:43 AM »
It was Andy who told me he had the No 1 castings done. I am still waiting for Graham to reply to my query about this from earlier in the week.

Jo

P.S. Andy was wondering if you have finished the remaining Allman drawings as he would like to get on and finish his engine  ::)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 10:53:44 AM by Jo »

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #178 on: August 15, 2019, 12:27:43 PM »
From what he has shown me of progress he has not run out of drawings yet, I think he has more than you.

How are those Tulip drawings coming along, midlands show time soon
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 12:38:29 PM by Jasonb »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #179 on: August 15, 2019, 01:01:02 PM »
Conformation: No more Chuk castings are available from Graham  :(

Yep I have done nothing on the Tulip drawings - no time I am too busy as I am retired  :stir:

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal