Author Topic: 15cc Seal and 30cc Seal Major  (Read 29958 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: 15cc Seal and 30cc Seal Major
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2019, 04:44:41 PM »
Thanks Dave, I'll get it sorted and find a new home for it  ;)

As you say does not look to have had much use, did it come with other bits like 3 & 4 jaw chucks?

Someone lost the three jaw ::) but it now has an ER32 collet chuck and set of Imperialious ER 32 collets  :paranoia:  to go with it.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2019, 04:06:46 PM »
Over the last few days I have turned up a set of valve guides out of Phosphor Bronze so I am now in a position to be able to start machining the top of the Seal Major Cylinder  :)

I have just started on the nuts for the Seal Cylinder head/cover and Manifold 30 are needed to be made then another set of 30 for the Major   :toilet_claw: There are so many other interesting things to be doing than nuts :ShakeHead:

Jo

Offline bouch

« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2019, 08:23:44 PM »
You can't tell us about red devils and then not show us :mischief:

Its boy racer Red  :facepalm2: I believe I have just doubled its total usage time by checking it cuts. Now I just need to find a new home for it before it thinks it can make itself at home  :paranoia:

Jo

P.S. I will accept castings in exchange for it   :naughty:

I have one of those, similar story as to how I got it.  Works fine for turning, but the tailstock center isn't the same as the headstock center, and as far a I can discern, there's no adjustment.

If you figure out how to get the two centers to match, I'd be interested in know how/what you did.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2019, 09:31:13 PM »
Unsurprisingly I have had no interest yet Bouch :lolb:

I have one of those, similar story as to how I got it.  Works fine for turning, but the tailstock center isn't the same as the headstock center, and as far a I can discern, there's no adjustment.

If you figure out how to get the two centers to match, I'd be interested in know how/what you did.

That sounds about right for a Chinese quality machine  :facepalm2: Possibly the tailstock needs shimming up to get it in line but do I want to spend my time on it and neither did its previous owner :ShakeHead:

At the moment I am considering throwing away the tailstock and fitting a spare Schaublin capstan unit to it so that won't be a problem  :ThumbsUp: I will also trash take off the leadscrew with its engagement :-X mechanism and possibly even the cross slide as it doesn't seem to have much tool clearance, 80mm seems to be the limit but that won't be a problem as a capstan machine as the saddle will be converted to a cut off slide.

But I must try to keep going on the engines and not waste time converting a Chinese machine tool casting set into something actually useful, can you imagine the embarrassment if anyone saw it in my workshop :-[  :paranoia:

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2019, 04:49:52 PM »
Update: The Red Devil is still sitting there :lolb:

In the meantime I have been starting on some of the fiddly bits for the engines 1, the head and manifold nuts for the Seal  :Love: These are 7BA shouldered nuts made in 303 Stainless so there is no worry about rust  :ThumbsUp: Which is handy as they have just had a bath in the ultrasonic cleaner to removed the remains of the tapping fluid from the internal threads. I'll need to do a matching set of nuts for the Major..

While on a roll doing small stuff I decided to look again at the valve nuts. The original arrangement was decidedly odd having a 7BA tapped washer so I was not sure how you were supposed to adjust it :headscratch: I intend on working to drawings which means making some out of 6.35mm A/F Steel with shoulders but the original nuts were 8BA threads, my valves have been threaded 7BA.

Looking at the size of the hex and the springs that came with the Seal I realised that the spring were rather too big - in fact they are the same size as came with the Seal Major  :noidea: . Thankfully a very nice man  :embarassed: gave me a box of springs from which I found some 5mm ID springs which look about right.

Now we just need a few more days of rain so I can get some more workshop time  :thinking:

Jo

Offline gadabout

« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2019, 10:35:19 PM »
Jo, Hi! Nice work on the nuts! can you go through the machining process to how you made them please, I have to make a batch for mine and was thinking there will be a lot of to and fro from the lathe to the mill !
thanks
Mark

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2019, 04:45:57 PM »
Thanks Mark, I'll try to remember to document the ones I make for the Major later in the week  :old: .. I got bored doing them so today I did something more interesting  :naughty:

To find out what the casting was like I decided to start with mounting the sump: The drawing shows 10 mounting holes 4mm diameter  :headscratch: As the engine has BA threads this is a bit odd as it is neither 3BA or 4BA and for 4BA it would be rather slack. I opted to use 5BA mounting screws so drilled 3.2mm. Drilling from the inside to see where the holes were relative to the bosses they were drilled and the other side countersunk to match the screws.

I checked the mounting position of the sump on the crankcase before drilling and tapping those:

It is also important to find the centre again as the crankcase is offset:

I was worried about how little metal there was just under the lip as I could see the drill breaking through the side and  :facepalm: it did, it broke a screw  :ShakeHead:

It fitted ok:

following on from that success I decided to do the cylinder head and the top cover. The cylinder head is very difficult to hold and had to be packed round the sparkplug lugs and to play it safe I added a tool maker's jack. Again drilling from the side where you can see the lugs the holes were drilled this time 3.6mm for 4BA clearance. While at it I took the head casting to the same length as the crankcase:

The top cover was similar except that it was necessary to face the top of the cylinder head stud nut lugs and I decided to mill the part number off the top of the cover but leave the outline so that it can be used for stamping in some sort of identification:

So the two engines are nearly up to the same stage:

Now for the exciting bit: :paranoia:

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2019, 05:01:58 PM »
Coming along and so much nicer to follow the thread when the photos are in with the text :)

Time to dust of the pantograph  :stickpoke: for a bit of engraving rather than risk damaging the head with a stamp.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2019, 06:44:22 PM »
Good progress  :praise2:  :praise2:  Is Tigger sitting on Tigs ?
Best regards

Roger

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2019, 07:57:53 PM »
Thanks Guys  :)

Is Tigger sitting on Tigs ?

Yes  ::)

My sister kept buying me Winnie the Pooh thingies including two Tiggers who liked the workshop so much they have moved in around Tgs  :noidea:

Jo

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2019, 10:53:21 PM »
Great progress Jo. That's a lot of holes too!!

Bill

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2019, 04:09:04 PM »
As I had the vice set up and all the stud dimensions defined for co-ordinate drilling I decided to drill:

and using the UPT tap:

The cylinder so that the head alignment could be checked:

Then realised the Seal one is not aligned:

So that will need to be sorted out  :facepalm: and couple of pics of Tgs friends attached for Roger. Anyone would think they knew they were being photographed   ::)

Jo

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2019, 05:38:45 PM »
 :)  :)  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:  :wine1:  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2019, 10:30:57 PM »
The alignment doesn't look that bad Jo. What is the other side like?

Bill

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2019, 11:35:37 AM »
I've spent the morning setting up the Seal Major to bore for the liners: having used a ruler against the side of the valve chest I then put a bar through the crank holes to find the valve chest face is not 100% parallel to the crank line  :facepalm:

And the sides of the crankcase are not square to the bottom face either  :ShakeHead: thankfully both the base and the bottoms of the mounting lugs are so the cylinder can be clamped down using that  :) The cylinder has been centred up on the centre line of the crank and the length of the casting.

On fitting the boring head I found that there is a feature  in the drawing  >:( Depending on which drawing you look at (Seal or Major) either the cylinders are on the crankshaft line or they are offset.... Time to have lunch while I check which is right - hopefully it needs an offset as the bore is going to be dangling in mid air if it doesn't  :toilet_claw:

Edit: The Seal Major locates the cylinder bore 4mm offset from the crankshaft. The Seal drawing shows the cylinder in one view on the same line as the crankshaft and another 3.18mm offset. So it looks like the holes in the casting are ok  :ThumbsUp:

Jo
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 11:41:33 AM by Jo »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal