Author Topic: 15cc Seal and 30cc Seal Major  (Read 29963 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: 15cc Seal and 30cc Seal Major
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2019, 07:48:25 PM »
Thanks Roger  :)

I know some of ETW's engines were designed as working engines like the Aero engines and the 1831/Wallaby. Were these also designed to power something or just for display?

The intention of the Seal was to provide a multi cylinder engine for a model boat like a motor cruiser or a launch of about 1m length. The Seal Major is for bigger boats  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2019, 01:09:03 PM »
Sorry for the delay in this build my Doctor thought I was a funding opportunity and has been checking I hadn't had a heart attack on Sunday  :paranoia:

Having survived that we are now back to the engine build  :) : The Seal has already been bored and had all its stud holes drilled and tapped. To be able to do this for the Major I decided to first turn up the liners:

The drawing shows the main part of the liner at 23.81mm but I have chosen to leave the top 6.35mm at 24mm.

The reason for this is to make it easier to fit the liners into the block. 

As well as turning up the four liners I have turned up a 24mm/26.2mm plug gauge so it can be used to check the top of the liner tunnel in the block:

:thinking: Suppose I should bore those next.

Jo

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2019, 02:23:24 PM »
Couldn't help but laugh at Surus laid out in a sugar coma after emptying the tub of Snickers ice cream. Nonetheless, you are making some nice progress Jo.

Bill

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2019, 07:58:13 PM »
Doctors, lawyers, and morticians are three professions I try to avoid at all costs  :old:. I’m still watching BTW.

Big E

ChuckKey

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2019, 08:33:50 PM »
Two interesting engines  :) I will be following along :wine1:

I know some of ETW's engines were designed as working engines like the Aero engines and the 1831/Wallaby. Were these also designed to power something or just for display?
All Westbury engines were designed to do work.

Offline Mike Bondarczuk

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2019, 11:02:46 AM »
Hi Jo,

Watching, admiring and learning.

Mike  :old:
"Everything I can't find is in a totally secure place"

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2019, 01:16:58 PM »
Any reason why they were parted off before boring?

Would boring at the same setting have ensured concentricity and no risk of distorting the liner by holding it's outside.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2019, 01:53:22 PM »
Watching, admiring and learning.

Mike  :old:

Hi Mike, Thanks for following along. How's my old set of Clarkson castings coming on? We haven't seen any progress since  :noidea:

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2019, 01:59:41 PM »
Any reason why they were parted off before boring?

Would boring at the same setting have ensured concentricity and no risk of distorting the liner by holding it's outside.

Yes because it saved Cast Iron and as Mr Silky will be using his 5C collets to hold the liner for boring there will be no risk of distortion ;) and as for him not turning concentric  :lolb: He's not a red Devil  :hellno:

Jo

P.S.  Rumour is a Red Devil will be arriving on Sunday  :facepalm: I have to try and get rid of it before anyone sees it  :paranoia:

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2019, 03:21:33 PM »

Jo

P.S.  Rumour is a Red Devil will be arriving on Sunday  :facepalm: I have to try and get rid of it before anyone sees it  :paranoia:

Looks 'water clear' to me .....  :headscratch:  But the second bit's probably right. I doubt anyone else will get a look in ...  :lolb:

Dave

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2019, 04:20:09 PM »
Sounds promising Dave   ;)

Just had a fly past by another Red team the Red arrows: Will have to complain we only got the low flypast this year normally it is the full show when they drop by :disappointed: The Chinook boys make sure they rattle the windows when they do their flybys  ::)

Jo

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2019, 04:37:19 PM »
They're all heading down to Normandy where there is some sort of commemoration going on.

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2019, 07:15:33 AM »

Just make sure you have a bucket of water to hand, don't want them to start interbreading ;)

I've only used red (and blue/cream) devils for milling preferring my Green and Yellow dragon for turning though I don't have any zero run out collets for it like you seem to have found, have you got a unicorn too? :LittleDevil:

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2019, 07:25:14 AM »
..... have you got a unicorn too? :LittleDevil:

Surus has the castings for one  ::)

Jo

P.S. If any one wants a set they are available here: https://www.ajreeves.com/unicorn/page/1/

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2019, 04:23:36 PM »
I am still a little worried about the idea that one of our suppliers is supplying collets that Jason doesn't trust to run true and close down in such a way as they distort/crush a piece :facepalm: I wonder where he got them from... Maybe there is nothing wrong with the collets and someone was just being ham-fisted when they tighten them but it takes a lot of force to crush a tube   :noidea:

The liners were bored in a 5C collet, if you want to use an ER collet you will need an ER40 to hold these liners. They were first bored to 20.50mm and had a final cut of 0.05mm to provide a fine surface before Smelly hones them for me.

As you can see the finished walls are nice and thick but when we fit them we will not be looking to test the strength of these walls  :hellno: They will be a light press fit  all we have to stop is water leaks

The other little job I managed to get done was the Seal's sump screws. In the drawing these are shown as 7A countersunk screws, which are not easy to come by so I am using M2.5 stainless screws who for our purposes are as good as the same pitch as a 7BA. As expected with such a small deep hole not all of the screws lined up or went in square   :disappointed: A bit of hole realigning with a needle file and in the case shown using a milling cutter to move over the hole - they are all in and no-one is none the wiser  :-X

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal