Author Topic: Alyn Foundry Nattie  (Read 8683 times)

Offline uuu

Re: Alyn Foundry Nattie
« Reply #90 on: March 30, 2023, 01:14:30 PM »
I've a friend with a teeny CNC mill that is excellent at engraving plates. OK - it takes quite while, but programmed to cut several side-by-side, could be just left to get on with it.

Wilf

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #91 on: March 30, 2023, 02:28:26 PM »
Etching?

Should go deeper and OK with small size fonts

Hi Jason and Wilf.

One of the Alyn group members is having a look at Laser etching some painted Brass sheet. We could simply etch out the lettering leaving a Black background or, etch away all the surrounding areas leaving the lettering covered and use a Ferric Chloride solution. ( see Penultimate number plate )

Using a CNC system sounds wonderful, having had a nice one off from Jason recently. However it would all boil down to the actual cost.

:cheers:  Graham.

Edit.

The Penultimate gas engine badge took several hours of painstakingly placing each Letraset letter in place. I used etch resist paint to make the borders. Other combinations of Letraset were used to create the corner “ Spandrel’s “
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 02:51:34 PM by Alyn Foundry »

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #92 on: March 30, 2023, 02:49:40 PM »
The biggest issue with CNC cutting is being able to get the cutter in between the letters and also into enclosed or almost enclosed areas such as you get with an "S"

For something the size Nattie would need you are down in the realms of 0.5mm dia cutters and likely single flute. these require a very small chip load if they are not to break which puts the run time up. For example that Retlas sign was done with a 2mm ball nose cutter, something like the 36 x 28 image below would just be possible with a 0.5mm cutter @ 0.3mm depth. Run time for just the engraving a little over an hour (subject to testing) which is not too bad for a few but if lots are needed then etching them on an A4 sized sheet would be more suitable - spray resist, mask that can be done on a inkjet printer, UV light and acid.

One of the small imported gantry CNC machines may be able to cut faster due to it's higher spindle speed but lack of guts may mean cuts have to be smaller so not much gain.

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #93 on: March 31, 2023, 01:29:19 PM »
Following on….

Another Nattie is underway, this one destined for the curator of the Anson engine museum, Poynton near Manchester.

I’m aware that it’s around 25 years too late but better late than never eh? The original version was to become a raffle prize for the Anson’s National Gas Engine Company’s centenary celebrations. As I’ve mentioned previously we just couldn’t get the engine to run successfully.

In the photograph, one of Jason’s flywheel pattern casting fully machined. The cylinder, bored and honed. The bed, roughly fettled and ready for machining.

Offline RayW

« Reply #94 on: March 31, 2023, 05:02:15 PM »
Looking good Graham.
Ray

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #95 on: March 31, 2023, 06:49:09 PM »
Coming on well but I can't help feeling that something is missing :thinking:

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2023, 07:06:19 PM »
After a bit of a rework of the artwork the Natties will be complete. Infact adding this critical part is probably what made mine a runner.

A little bit larger than ideal but could not really go a lot smaller and still be able to get a 0.5mm cutter in and around the letters. These are cut from bending brass so there is the option to mount on the side of the engine frame as per post above or to bent to the shape of the cylinder.

Ray, yours is done and will go in the post early next week.

Offline RayW

« Reply #97 on: April 15, 2023, 09:45:33 PM »
Many thanks Jason.
Ray

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #98 on: April 15, 2023, 11:17:01 PM »
Wow! Those nameplates look really nice, Jason!  :ThumbsUp:

Kim

Offline RayW

« Reply #99 on: May 07, 2023, 05:27:21 PM »
And here's number 105 to complete the set. My thanks to Jason for a superb job with the nameplates. They give a really professional touch. The photos also show my Nattie, number 105, almost complete, just lacking a mechanical lubricator and a nice wooden base.
Ray

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #100 on: May 07, 2023, 08:24:28 PM »
I did see #105 on FB - but didn't quite get it ....

Seeing it on the Engine just looks right  :praise2:

Per         :cheers:

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #101 on: May 08, 2023, 12:12:16 PM »
Nattie is looking better and better with each addition Ray, well done.

I’m currently working on one of those little Chinese, hit and miss governed Petrol engines. I’ve been tasked, so to speak with trying to slow it down to a more scale running speed. However with your help in procuring the skew gears from Germany recently I will be getting back to 106.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal