Author Topic: Taking Chinese 3 Jaw Metal Lathe chuck apart for cleaning  (Read 1439 times)

Offline Jim

Taking Chinese 3 Jaw Metal Lathe chuck apart for cleaning
« on: May 29, 2019, 06:31:31 AM »
Taking the Chinese 3 Jaw Metal Lathe chuck apart for cleaning. Really happy I did this. The chuck hadn't been as smooth as it had been and there was a lot of crap inside it. Back to its usual smoothness and a pleasure to use again. Never done it before and it proved fairly easy. If yours isn't smooth, don't hesitate to take it apart and clean it.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK2veaUNyQ0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK2veaUNyQ0</a>
Kind regards,

Jim

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
Re: Taking Chinese 3 Jaw Metal Lathe chuck apart for cleaning
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 09:35:53 AM »
Never done it before so that was quite informative.

Thanks

Vince

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 10:11:29 AM »
Hello Jim,

Good to know information, thanks for sharing.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline john mills

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 10:41:20 AM »
when sucks be come stiff lumpy  and some time not concentric as it has been it often is dirt has got where it is not wanted and will cause these problems.Dismantling and cleaning is the only way and bring the chuck back to its original state,continuing to use while dirty is only likely to cause permmant damage.Make share there are no bruises  or dent on the clamping faces.

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 01:10:40 PM »
Thanks for posting the video, interesting to see the innards!  I have a little used Chiwanese chuck that has poor concentricity, might take a similar look at it in case there is muck deriving from manufacture causing a snag, though it may be just not very well machined and unimprovable! 
 I might take a precaution of dismantling individual components into some compartmented trays with a note of their location and pairings re the ( presumably numbered ) chuck jaws and slides, though.
 ( On the other hand, jumbling them might just result in improved concentricity, one never knows...! )   Dave

Offline Jim

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 02:01:10 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I was a bit worried that I should have marked the position of the banjo(?) bolts and what holes they came out of.

I was surprised to see just how much brass swarf had gotten into the chuck (its a 5 1/2 chuck) I think what really gummed it up was some copper that turned last week.

Thanks again for the replies all.
Kind regards,

Jim

Offline Jim

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 01:19:25 AM »
I did whip it back off today and lightly grease inside.
Kind regards,

Jim

Offline Larry

• Atlanta, GA
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2019, 03:28:20 AM »
Very interesting - thanks for showing.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal