Author Topic: MEM Corliss Attempt  (Read 1710 times)

Offline Kim

  • Global Moderator
  • Full Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3531
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: MEM Corliss Attempt
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2019, 05:45:22 AM »
Nice work, Larry.

I thought I heard someone using a slitting saw earlier... (thunk, thunk, thunk).  :Lol:

Kim

Offline Larry

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 97
  • Atlanta, GA
Re: MEM Corliss Attempt
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2019, 03:41:28 AM »
I made the Crosshead Guide in two pieces and put them together with Loctite 609. The guide was made from a piece of 1 1/8" 12L14 round bar. It was chucked in a collet and a 1/4" pilot hole was drilled. Using a series of drills I progressed up so I could use my 3/4" boring bar to finish a 7/8" diam. hole. It was cut to length & mounted in the mill vise. The slot was cut in several operations and finished with a 5/8" end mill.

Guide is bored to 7/8" diam.
Mounted in mill vise & slot cut to 5/8" (4 pictures).

Offline Larry

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 97
  • Atlanta, GA
Re: MEM Corliss Attempt
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2019, 03:56:27 AM »
The flange was made from a piece of scrap. It was turned to size and the center hole bored to 1 1/8". It was then centered in the mill vise and the outer hole pattern was drilled using the DRO ( no pictures). The flange was cut off & faced to 1/8" thickness. The two parts were very carefully aligned & put together with Loctite 609. I would like to get a Loctite that didn't set up quite as fast.

Scrap piece chucked in 3 jaw & center hole bored to 1 1/8".
Flange is cut off.
Flange separated from scrap piece.
Flange & guide with Loctite 609.
Completed assembly.
Completed assembly.

Offline b.lindsey

  • Global Moderator
  • Full Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 13333
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: MEM Corliss Attempt
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2019, 02:26:24 PM »
More great progress Larry. Still following along with interest here.

Bill

Offline Larry

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 97
  • Atlanta, GA
Re: MEM Corliss Attempt
« Reply #34 on: Today at 02:52:02 AM »
The gland nut was made from a piece of 5/8" hex brass rod. This was turned to 7/16" and threaded 7/16-32 since that is what I had available. A center hole was drilled & reamed to .251. The part was cut off to dimension & faced leaving a 1/8" wide x 5/8" hex nut on the end. I did not get a picture of the finished part but it will be shown later.

Turned to 7/16" diameter.
Threaded with a 7/16-32 die.
Drilling center hole.
Reaming center hole to .251 for piston rod.

Offline Larry

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 97
  • Atlanta, GA
Re: MEM Corliss Attempt
« Reply #35 on: Today at 04:04:00 AM »
The crosshead was made from a piece of 1" diameter brass rod turned to 7/8" (.875) diameter. The center hole was drilled 1/4" deep & threaded #10-32. It was then mounted in a collet block in the mill vise & the sides milled to 3/8" (.375) width. The center hole on the flat surface was drilled & reamed to .25 for the pin. The machined part was cut off & mounted in the mill vise & the ends milled to a finish length of 7/8" (.875).

Turn piece of 1" diameter brass rod to 7/8" (.875).
Drill center hole 1/4" deep.
Thread center hole #10-32.
Mount in collet block in mill vise & mill sides to 3/8" (.375) width.
Milling both sides to 3/8" (.375).
Drill center hole on flat surface & ream .25 for pin.
Cut off.
Mount in mill vise & finish end to 7/8" (.875) length.

Offline b.lindsey

  • Global Moderator
  • Full Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 13333
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: MEM Corliss Attempt
« Reply #36 on: Today at 02:12:35 PM »
Full steam ahead I see Larry. Always nice to see an update on this one.

Bill