Author Topic: Greene Automatic Cutoff Steam Engine  (Read 5107 times)

Offline kvom

Re: Greene Automatic Cutoff Steam Engine
« Reply #105 on: July 12, 2019, 12:00:27 AM »
So I was mistaken about the name of this part.  I read it as "device" mainly because the font used in Solidworks made the cl combo read as d.  In reality it was clevice which is actually clevis misspelled.  I didn't want to call it a device so just called it a swing arm.  Now that that's out of the way, let's finish it up.

I machined a soft jaw pocket matching the outer profile .3" deep, and after parting each clevis off the parent stock I was able to machine the opposite side.

After drilling the hole for the control rod, we're finished for now.  These will need a set screw or two to attach to the rod.  The cad model shows a through hole implying two on opposite sides, but it seems to me that with the clevis in place on the engine the inner screw could be hard to access.  So I'm leaving these undrilled for now.

Here's the clevis shown in relation to the other completed parts.

Offline kvom

« Reply #106 on: July 12, 2019, 10:48:15 PM »
Now that I have an endmill with 2" flute length, it's back to try again;  this time milling the two main profiles top down.  Starting with 2.5" length of 1.75" round grey iron with reamed .501" hole 1.7" deep in the center.  I turned the bottom  down to 1.125" and milled a soft jaw pocket to match.

The first profile just defines the bottom mounting face of the bracket. Milled 1.9" deep.

Not the greatest surface finish, so on the second profile I did two passes with a .005" roughing clearance on the first pass.  Then the second profile, also with a roughing and finishing pass.

The other bracket is the same but with the second profile mirrored around the Y axis.

Next ops will be to finish the bottom;  hopefully I'll finish both parts entirely next time in the shop.

Offline kvom

« Reply #107 on: July 13, 2019, 11:17:01 PM »
More progress on the brackets.  I used the CNC mill to finish the inside (relative to the cylinder block).  The following photo shows how the bracket for the cylinder cover side would be mounted.

The onto the Bridgeport to drill and tap holes for the bearing cap, to be made next.

Then mill the edges of the hole and drill and oil hole.

I was very happy to get to this point without screwing up.