Author Topic: IHC Titan 10-20 Drawings  (Read 4282 times)

Offline TobyTetzy

IHC Titan 10-20 Drawings
« on: May 25, 2019, 09:03:34 AM »
Hello,

I am looking for drawings of an IHC Titan 10-20.
There are a few videos on Youtube and a few pictures of a titan in 1/4 scale.

I would like to draw the model first on the PC in 3D CAD.

I already have all 12 parts of Tony Webster from Model Engineer magazine. My father had subscribed to the magazine. Unfortunately, the drawings are very incomplete there.

At a Dutch exhibition, Wjichen 2017 and 2018, I have also seen a IHC Titan 10-20 in 1/4 scale, unfortunately at the time the model was not that interesting for me.
Unfortunately I could not make contact with the builder yet.
Pictures in the appendix.

I would be very happy about replies.

Greeting Toby

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: IHC Titan 10-20 Drawings
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 01:22:49 PM »
Toby, as I said give me a while and I'll sort things out though there is not a lot of detail about the engine on the drawings, Typical Tony Webster

The Late Johan Van Zanten did a nice Mogul 8-16 which is a similar sort of machine.

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/albums/member_album.asp?a=6778
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 01:37:11 PM by Jasonb »

Offline TobyTetzy

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 05:57:46 AM »
Hello,

My dad could not wait to get started with the IHC Titan.
He also has so many other projects that want to be built.

But now the IHC Famous is to be finished completely, this gets also the clutch Pulley. Then the water pumps are on the line.

Greeting Toby

Offline TobyTetzy

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 03:09:57 PM »
Hi,
in the meantime things are going a little further on the Titan.

My father made the front and rear axles.
The frame is built and now it's time for the wheels.

Greetings Toby

Offline TobyTetzy

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2022, 03:14:13 PM »
Hello, everyone.

There is also a small update here.

My father continued with the IHC Titan.
He is currently drawing the engine and transmission.
Unfortunately there seems to be some inconsistencies with the camshaft.

Maybe someone has more information?
The drawings of the IHC Titan 50HP might be interesting.
This could be compared, since it is almost the same engine in terms of structure.

Greetings Toby

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2022, 07:05:01 PM »
You have made some very fine parts and progress since your last update - looks really good  :ThumbsUp:

As Achim is building the requested engine right now - he might be the one to contact  :cheers:

Per
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 11:15:10 AM by Admiral_dk »

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2022, 05:57:53 AM »

As Achim is building the requested engine right now - he might be the one to contact  :cheers:

Per

Already in direct contact with him.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline TobyTetzy

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2022, 08:34:34 AM »
Hi there,

I tried to draw the cams for the Titan 10-20 with my father.
According to the instructions, the cams are made with the lathe on an eccentric jig, and there is no exact drawing for this.

I also thought about it a bit with Achim.
Thank you Achim.

Since we are building the Titan in 1/4 scale, we have to adjust the dimensions accordingly.
I will put our conversion in brackets after the inch measurements.

The text says that the cam is a 5/16" (= 7.9 x 1.5 = 12 mm) cylinder with a 1/4" (= 6.35 x 1.5 = 10 mm) bore.
In addition, there is a cam lift of 1/8" (= 3.175 x 1.5 = 4.75 mm).
The stroke must be all around on the blank, so we need a blank of 5/16" + 2x 1/8" = 9/16" (=14.3 x 1.5 = 21.5 mm).

Now the cam is clamped eccentrically in the lathe, the text specifies 3/4" (=19.05 x 1.5 = 28.5 mm) off-centre.
In the sketch, however, 20mm (x 1.5 = 30mm) are specified.

The text also says that you should feed 0.125", i.e. 1/8". Then turn the cam and continue working until you have turned 105° or 117°. The cam is ready.

If you now turn the whole cam, i.e. 360°, a round with 5/16" (12mm) would remain.
But that must not be the case, because in the drawing of the cam and the camshaft, the cams have a flange on the side.
The dimensions are also given in metric here. 6mm bore, 8mm flange, the base circle of the cam is not specified.

Since we're going to be milling the cams, I made a drawing.
Once as stated in the description (red nock), once with a base circle of the nock of 15mm (corresponds to the sketch of the nock) (green nock).

With a base circle of 12mm (5/16" in the description) I get a nock that is well inside the stock.
With a 15mm base circle, the pointed intake cam is only minimally in the raw material, the exhaust cam would even be flattened (which seems more correct to me).

However, I don't reach the stroke of 1/8" (= 3.175 x 1.5 = 4.75 mm) with the specified degrees.
Only a stroke of 3.25 mm is achieved. ( (21.5 - 15) / 2 = 3.25mm)

My questions now would be:

The extent to which the nock is clamped off-centre is described differently. What is the impact? In principle, the control times remain unaffected.

Small or large base circle? I clearly tend towards the large one, since the entire diameter is not nearly reached with a small base circle.

Did I understand the principle of production correctly, or did I miss something?

I hope you can help us and I also hope that my Google translation is still understandable.

Greetings Toby

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2022, 01:40:56 PM »
Hi Toby,
just seeing your sketch first time.
The duration of  valve opening belongs to the other side.
If I do understand it right, may be some members here can confirm.
My be this is an issue what creates some misunderstanding.

Kind Regards
Achim

Offline TobyTetzy

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2022, 02:16:12 PM »
Hello,
on the other side are also the 117°. 
Greetings Toby

Offline TobyTetzy

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2022, 06:51:12 PM »
Hello everyone,

I want to continue building my father's IHC Titan 10-20 tractors.
The model is to be created from the templates (presented in the ME) by Tony Webster, who built the 1/6th scale model.
Apparently there were also cast parts for this, so the drawings are anything but complete.
In addition, some dimensions are given in imperial, others in metric.

So far my father has finished the wheels and frame and bought some gears.

The model has so far been partially drawn in 3D CAD, but apart from the parts already built, only a small part of the engine has been completed.
I have now dealt with the steering gear and the gearbox.

I would like to post pictures of the original and excerpts from the "construction plans" for comparison, but this will not be possible due to copyright.
It's a shame, because these pictures would explain a lot.

The first question arises when it comes to the steering gear.
Which worm and which worm wheel should I use.
In the Tony Webster drawings there is a listing of gears and the worm drive.

It says "Worm 1 Start OD 0.5 in" "Wormwheel teeth 36 width 1/4" "
Mädler has such worm drives. I took these measurements.
I drew the steering gear with module 1 - 35 teeth and with module 1.5 - 30 teeth.
With module 1.5 it seems very big to me, but I can probably only get the 10 mm steering column / steering rod in there.

I got this far with the gearbox.
However, my father had already started on the differential. But he had used 20mm tooth width.
According to Webster drawings it should only be 15mm. I have already changed that. Unfortunately, the "innards" must also be narrower.
I'm assuming that my father "built" the differential first provisionally.

My first question here would be, do you have to store the small gears in the differential in bronze bearings as well?
The gears are not hardened from C45, the shafts are made from stainless steel (that's what my father used to call it).

I got this far with the gearbox.
However, my father had already started on the differential. But he had used 20mm tooth width.
According to Webster drawings it should only be 15mm. I have already changed that. Unfortunately, the "innards" must also be narrower.
I'm assuming that my father "built" the differential first provisionally.

My first question here would be, do you have to store the small gears in the differential in bronze bearings as well?
The gears are not hardened from C45, the shafts are made from stainless steel (that's what my father used to call it).

The second question would be if I make the differential narrower,
so that it also fits into the gearbox housing and that there is enough space for the sliding shift wheels,
how do I get the inner differential gears on the shafts if the flange is no longer there or has too little material?

I hope for some help with the construction, since it will be a very complex model.
I'm sure I'll have a few more questions about this.

Kind regards Toby

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2022, 06:59:54 PM »
Toby, it's generally accepted as OK to use small extracts from the text or show parts of drawings. It is only posting the whole article or the 4 sheets of drawings that would bring up copyright issues.

A lot will depend on how much use the tractor will get, if just running occasionally to show that it works you could get away without bearings subject to what the shafts are running in or if they are fixed and just have the gears rotating on them. If you intend to do a lot of running then bearings would be best.

After your e-mail the other day I did find this thread on Smokstak that has some photos of the gearbox/diff

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/threads/1920-titan-10-20-restoration.68254/

Offline TobyTetzy

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2022, 07:02:41 PM »
Some more pictures  :)

Offline TobyTetzy

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2022, 07:06:24 PM »
Hello Jason,

I'll try to add shaft bearings there as well.

I know this post and have also taken all the pictures from it as a reference.
A lot can be gleaned from this.

It's going to be a long road.

Greetings Toby

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal