Author Topic: GWR Saint Class Loco  (Read 1278 times)

Offline mikemill

GWR Saint Class Loco
« on: November 17, 2022, 10:17:03 AM »
Recently completed G3 (2.5in) GWR Saint Class Loco. The model is entirely scratch built with the exception of the driver wheels that are 3D printed with nylon pla and steel tyres. The engine is R/C and has multiple sounds.

Mike

Online Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
Re: GWR Saint Class Loco
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2022, 11:01:52 AM »
Beautiful and very atractive engine / Locomotive - up to your usual standard  :praise2:

Per

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2022, 02:55:21 PM »
Congratulations, that's a wonderful looking engine, and very nicely done. I like the idea to use 3-D printed driver centers with steel tires, even though I don't have a printer. :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
Regards,
Ron

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2022, 03:15:12 PM »
A beautiful engine!  Will the nylon inserts on the wheels take the heat from the boiler/firebox nearby?

Offline Edward

• Stanmore, Middlesex UK
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2022, 03:28:48 PM »
A beautiful engine!  Will the nylon inserts on the wheels take the heat from the boiler/firebox nearby?

It looks to be electrically driven, possibly via the track or batteries. Its a beautiful looking job for sure.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2022, 05:47:39 PM »
Gorgeous engine, Mike!  Wonderfully done and beautifully painted!

Interesting idea with the 3D printed drivers.  Very creative.

Kim

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2022, 09:08:15 AM »
A lovely prototype engine, and a beautiful model of it, a very handsome addition to your locomotive collection.   The wheels look great!  Dave

Offline mikemill

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2022, 10:09:46 AM »
Thanks for the kind comments, the engine is battery powered. The R/C electronics and batteries are housed in the tender.

I am now working on a self build simple tank engine for new comers to G3. The idea is by joining the G3 Society you get access to all the drawings and DXF files for getting the parts laser cut. Lists of suppliers such as wheels, reference photos and support to aid the build.

Mike

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2022, 02:56:19 PM »
G3 is rare here in the U.S., though it had a following years ago. A shame, since to me it seems like a very attractive scale/gauge for outdoors. Also, with a ratio of 2:1, the plans are easily scaled to to "O" gauge, i.e., 1/2" (or 17/32") / ft to 1/4"/ft) and gauge of 2.5" to 0.75". I happen to have a simple loop of O gauge track out the back door. The Bonds "American Pacific" plans available from the N25GA Society have been on my radar for awhile now.
Regards,
Ron

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal