Author Topic: PMR3A Mill Engine  (Read 4042 times)

Offline bwal

PMR3A Mill Engine
« on: May 22, 2019, 11:27:02 AM »
Hi,

I decided to start on my PMR 3A Mill Engine.
I'll be following the steps of AOG for this build as much as I can. I've also watched the Texan guy on YouTube who made one a few years ago.

So I did what AOG did and straightened out the base (no photo's) and drilled the mounting holes (going to use M3).

I then found a piece of aluminum to use as a mounting plate/work holding fixture (great idea).  I drilled and tapped the holes tonight and bolted the base to the plate.  When I had a look at AOG build log I realized I need to move the base to the other side so the flywheel will have somewhere to sit.  Live and learn.

I'm hoping to do 30 minutes or so each night so it'll be a long build.

Ben.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 11:30:40 AM by bwal »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: PMR3A Mill Engine
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 12:53:13 PM »
Happy you have decided to do a build log on it Ben. This is a popular engine and I feel sure many will be following along just as I will.

Bill

Offline bwal

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 12:25:03 PM »
Hi,

I was able to do some work today. Firstly I moved the base over to the other side of the plate.

Then I machined the cross head bed flat. I'll need to do a check measure, as I was interrupted and wasn't able to finish off.

Ben.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 03:01:11 PM »
Ben, are you working with the aluminum castings or the cast iron ones?  Even a little progress is still progress :)

Bill

Offline bwal

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 10:18:46 PM »
Hi Bill,

I have the aluminium casting set. I purchased them off ebay from the USA, it's an older kit. The flywheel has the four spokes instead of the current three. There may be other differences that I don't know about.
I forgot to mention, I did some "fiddling" - filing of the flash from the casting bed as well.

Ben

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 01:19:50 AM »
I should have known that with the "A" suffix.  :facepalm2:

Bill

Offline bwal

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 10:19:12 AM »
Hi,

Still plugging along. I made a few order of operations errors. For some reason I forgot to machine the face of the casting before drilling and reaming it. The centre hole is a bit off but it will be ok.

So I've machined it flat and driller the three holes hopefully in the right locations (I used the DRO for the holes).

Ben.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2019, 03:36:13 PM »
Nice progress Ben!  If you are worried about the hole location of it is becomes an issue iti looks like there is enough meat there to bore it oversize at the right location  and put in an aluminum ring to bring the diameter back down to size. Hopefully it won't present a problem though.

Bill

Offline Joe P.

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 02:04:21 PM »
Looking good, I will be following along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bwal

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2019, 10:06:20 PM »
HI,

I started on the cylinder this week. I was following AOG buildlog.  I went to drill out the bore I didn't centre the cylinder enought. The first hole was about .7 mm out. I probably should of used a wooden dowel in the core to mark it out but as usual I was rushing and distracted by outside events and I made the bore even worse.

So off to the mill to fix the problem. I had to use the DRO to find centre of the bore and then drilled down with a endmill. I then milled the surface flat.  I want to drill the PCD on the face now but I can't remember what face is up, and if it's the 3 or 4 hole face or if it doesn't matter. That's tomorrow's problem.

Ben.

Offline Jim

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2019, 01:07:29 AM »
Enjoying this thread and thank you.
Kind regards,

Jim

Offline bwal

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2019, 09:02:40 PM »
Hi,

I'm still at it. Made a few mistakes but plowing on. I'm trying to get back into it. See if you can spot the mistakes.

Ben.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2019, 10:53:30 PM »
Looks like you recovered from them nicely.  The 3A is a great little project and a nice runner.

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2019, 12:14:25 AM »
It's good to see you working on this Ben.

I started on a PMR #5 last week and I think we may use some of the same parts.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline rick41

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2019, 11:54:44 PM »
Hi Bill,

I have the aluminium casting set. I purchased them off ebay from the USA, it's an older kit. The flywheel has the four spokes instead of the current three. There may be other differences that I don't know about.
I forgot to mention, I did some "fiddling" - filing of the flash from the casting bed as well.

Ben
I believe the word is "fettling", not "fiddling"
Rick

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal