Author Topic: PMR3A Mill Engine  (Read 4030 times)

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
Re: PMR3A Mill Engine
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2019, 01:32:18 AM »
Hi Bill,

I have the aluminium casting set. I purchased them off ebay from the USA, it's an older kit. The flywheel has the four spokes instead of the current three. There may be other differences that I don't know about.
I forgot to mention, I did some "fiddling" - filing of the flash from the casting bed as well.

Ben
I believe the word is "fettling", not "fiddling"
Rick

I know that for myself I spend a lot of time 'fiddling' with 'fettling'.  ;D  In fact I did a bunch of that today.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline bwal

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2019, 05:15:08 AM »
Well things have progressed slightly. Unfortunately i fractured my scapula (shoulder blade - I think) in two places, so I'm out of action for a month or two. I had just started on the flywheel and was going to finish it up on Sunday after the kids went back to their mother's house. Machining the flywheel is my favorite part of the model.
Regards Ben.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2019, 11:30:27 AM »
Unfortunately i fractured my scapula (shoulder blade - I think) in two places, so I'm out of action for a month or two.

Ouch - I haven't tried this, but I would expect quite an amount of pain - both when moving around and when trying to sleep .... I really hope you mend soon and well Ben.

Nice parts so far - the family shot looks great  :ThumbsUp:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 07:36:55 PM by Admiral_dk »

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2019, 04:41:05 PM »
Your project is coming along nicely Ben.  :ThumbsUp:

Sorry to hear about your shoulder. That sounds pretty debilitating for sure. When the time comes, be sure and take advantage of any Physical Therapy offered..............it makes a huge difference in a persons recovery time.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2019, 10:49:48 PM »
A fractured scapula sounds like no fun.

Commiserations.

The build is looking good, though.

gary

Offline Joe P.

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2019, 11:03:09 PM »
I made the same engine in cast iron and bronze a while back. I followed mostly Tinker John from Texas who did a fantastic job, but I felt he left some gaps in the setups and operations. (Not knocking him because I know first hand videoing and machining at the same time is very time consuming and distracting) So I did a video series of how I went about making the engine. I am just a hobbyist and this was my first engine, but if you can pick anything up from it then it’s well worth the time.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3EdvTvwbAmR7Pe-suLnDOCGaVUdVwy0g

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2019, 06:09:46 PM »
I too have built the iron/bronze version, it was my 1st engine.  Learned a lot building it.  I had trouble getting the packing nut thread centered relative to the piston rod bore, and ended up over-boring the hole to keep it from rubbing on the piston rod.  The engine runs ok on air without packing.   :popcorn:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 06:22:13 PM by bent »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2019, 06:24:52 PM »
Sorry to hear about the injury Ben. Hope it heals soon and we'll so you can get back in the shop.

Bill

Offline bwal

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2019, 09:38:49 PM »
Hi All,

I'm on the mend. I actually spent some time (gingerly) in the workshop yesterday.

I had plenty of time to watch Joe's youtube videos of his build. I picked up some good pointers and realized I had made plenty of more mistakes on my build. Which I fixed yesterday so back on track now.

I noticed on Bill's finished build of his PMR 5, he had oilers. Are they home-made or kit supplied?

Ben.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal