Author Topic: First attempt at powder coating.  (Read 5328 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
First attempt at powder coating.
« on: May 09, 2019, 03:00:09 PM »
I had mentioned over in the shop renovation thread about having acquired the necessary tools/equipment for giving powder coating a try. The first candidate was the PMR #1 Oil Field Engine I built a few years back. It wasn't that I didn't like the color so much as it seemed that the brown I mixed in with the pearl white color was bleeding through and just didn't look good. Maybe you can see that in photo 1. Anyway I have disassembled the engine (photo 2) and have begun stripping all the parts to be power coated which I should finish up today. The new color is to be a mocha metallic from Eastwood. If that goes well I will ad back some pin striping perhaps in white so the net result will be almost opposite the original paint scheme. Will post more pictures as the process progresses. If anyone has done much of this, any tips/tricks or best practices are most welcome too.

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: First attempt at powder coating.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 04:01:42 PM »
Cold Bill, but hey bud you got this! Oh and don’t forget the DVD I had sent you on pin stripping for reference.... :ThumbsUp:

:cheers:
Don

Online kvom

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 11:14:22 PM »
Did you get the vinyl tape to mask the areas you don't want to coat, as well as the silicone plugs for holes?

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 11:19:56 PM »
Hi temp fiberglass tape for masking and yes on the plugs, but doubt they are small enough for some of the holes .

Bill

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 11:40:49 PM »
Anxiously awaiting results

Cletus

Offline gldavison

• Tarkio, Mo.
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 11:56:08 PM »
Hi Bill,

For small screws (0-90  0-80 2-56)  I just used short screws and keep them in small container for reuse.

Gary
Gary
Windows 10 & 11, Alibre Design Pro V27, IntelliCADPro6, CamBam, Mach4, 3D Printers, Cetus, Anet ET5 X
15" South Bend, 10" Logan lathe, Grizzly square column mill, CNC router & Hot wire cutter. Lagun FTV-1 knee mill, Sherline mill & lathe

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 12:35:43 AM »
Great idea Gary. I have plenty of old screws laying about too in the sizes needed.

Bill

Offline Engineville

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 02:30:48 AM »
I look forward to your postings on powder coating for I too want to learn powder coating ... been keeping an old electric stove for this use.

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 05:34:13 AM »
Looking forward to your updates on this!  Thanks for sharing Bill,
Kim

Offline AJW

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 09:07:21 AM »
I bought a kit and some powders at a show a couple of years ago - but still not plucked up the courage to use it!

Alan

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 01:37:54 PM »
Got the parts stripped down to bare metal yesterday. If all goes well I can mask them off and try some coating today.

Bill

toolznthings

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2019, 01:57:17 PM »
Following along to see how this work out .  :ThumbsUp:

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2019, 10:37:09 PM »
Got the parts stripped down to bare metal yesterday. If all goes well I can mask them off and try some coating today.

Bill
Once you have the parts stripped clean them good with acetone let them dry and do not touch them again with bar hands. I've done some powder coating and it is not to hard to do as long as you keep from touching. Did you make yourself a little paint booth. I just use a cardboard box with some smallish dia crs stock stuck threw to hang the parts on. I hook up the ground clamp to it. Try and keep the air pressure low I think I use around 3psi. Anyway good luck I'm sure you'll do fine. Eastwood does have some good videos on powder coating online.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2019, 10:58:45 PM »
Thanks Doc. Unfortunately didn't get anything done today, but was planning on using a box as you suggest. I do need to get some nitrile gloves though before handling the parts. Will do that in the morning. And a final wash in acetone too before applying the powder.

Bill

Offline gldavison

• Tarkio, Mo.
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2019, 12:46:01 AM »
Bi

I've been using Dawn dish soap to clean my parts. Give them a good rise in clean water and like Doc said ,do not touch with bare hands. Has worked well for me, and less expensive than acetone.

Gary
Gary
Windows 10 & 11, Alibre Design Pro V27, IntelliCADPro6, CamBam, Mach4, 3D Printers, Cetus, Anet ET5 X
15" South Bend, 10" Logan lathe, Grizzly square column mill, CNC router & Hot wire cutter. Lagun FTV-1 knee mill, Sherline mill & lathe

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal