Author Topic: First attempt at powder coating.  (Read 5349 times)

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
Re: First attempt at powder coating.
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2019, 04:05:03 PM »
Yup, that will look nice assembled, and even better with white pinstripes (like you said, inverting the original color scheme).  I see how having the parts suspended from the rack makes it easy to shift the powdered parts into the oven.  One thing that might help (?) is to have an easy way to rotate the rack while coating, so you can get to all sides of the parts.  Though lifting the rack and rotating on the cardboard box probably works well enough?  The commercial guys have a lifting eye on the center of the parts racks, so they can be suspended from a hook with a rotation bearing.

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2019, 04:14:01 PM »
Hello Bill,

Super nice video, I assumed that the process was much more complicated, thanks for sharing.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2019, 06:13:46 PM »
Bent...yes I will come up with something like that before doing much more of this. The ability to rotate would be a huge help and insure better coverage.

Thomas, the process is no more difficult than conventional painting and easier in some ways ( like getting I to tight places without overspraying and the resulting running as with paint). I am still in the learning stage but really pleased thus far.

Just as info, I would guess this project took about 3oz of powder front an 8 oz. bottle of powder.

Bill

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2019, 09:51:04 PM »
That looks good Bill.  Can a matte or flat finish be obtained or is a gloss finish the only option?

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline kvom

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2019, 09:55:02 PM »
Lots of finishes from flat to shiny.  For shiny finish like chrome you need a base coat first.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2019, 10:02:21 PM »
Bob, you can see what Eastwood has which is a good basic assortment. I am not yet familiar with other suppliers so maybe someone can add them here. I have gotten a few other colors to have on hand for future projects.

Bill
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 12:16:28 AM by b.lindsey »

Offline 90LX_Notch

• YouTube Channel
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2019, 10:46:09 PM »
Bill I checked it out and they do offer flat black and satin.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

toolznthings

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2019, 01:08:16 AM »
Good looking job on the parts.  :ThumbsUp: Thanks for sharing the process.

Brian

Offline 90LX_Notch

• YouTube Channel
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2019, 03:11:56 AM »
Sorry CHP, but I was referring to Bill's parts from the previous page.  I had my daughter's concert last night and couldn't respond to Bill's pictures yesterday.  I only had time to respond to a question in my build thread.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2019, 04:23:41 AM »
Hi Bill,
 Now you are getting me excited to get on & have a go with the kit I brought some years ago!

For a spray booth, go to your local washing machine repair outfit, see if you can scrounge up a whole machine, take the back off rip the guts out & throw that lot away! I did this for my both, spray paint the inside, the one I got was just gav, makes the inside smoother to clean up. Cut & fit a top & bottom to give you 5 sides, job done. The other thing I did was put a small Lazy Susan bearing, you know the ones for the rotary table in the center of your table for all the stuff that for meals used at restaurants, I put mine on the outside to fit a piece of something to that with a hook hanging down you can then turn with the part hanging from it.
Now if you want a delux Model, make the timber bit on the top of the bearing a pulley, fit a stepper motor & your rotary table stepper driver & bobs your uncle!  You can also fit up a vacuum cleaner  in take to the bottom of the cabinet to remove the over spray.......& on it goes!
I brought a 2nd hand laboratory oven which gets just hot enough to cure the powder.

Looking forward to more results!

Cheers Kerrin

PS, check out powder coating fishing lures, those guys spray multi colors, they vacuum off colors as they go....
Get excited and make something!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2019, 01:11:46 PM »
Thanks for the ideas Kerrin. Had just gotten the appliances in for the new house a couple of weeks back, now I wish I had saves at least one or two of those big boxes :-[

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2019, 04:12:11 PM »
I think I found a workable solution.
https://www.eastwood.com/ew-paint-and-powder-coating-stand.html

It folds up for storage, and that arm at the top can be interchanged with the oven rack too. (See the short video in the link).

Not sure I can make anything better for $48.

Bill

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2019, 04:36:31 PM »
Good looking rack, should work great.

Pretty soon you should have the website up for "Shop Elves Powder Coating"    :Jester:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2019, 12:49:50 AM »
Thanks Chris. Looks bear perfect to me and stored easily when not in use. Thinking I can add a little shelf to mount the guns electrical box too.

I did get the engine reassembled today.  Will take some better pictures tomorrow. Still have to do the pinstriping though, but shouldn't require total disassembly again.

Bill

Offline kvom

« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2019, 02:02:59 AM »
For coating flat parts, my auto shop buds have a good solution.  They use a clean steel table with the oven rack on it and the part on the rack.  Then when coating, the excess powder sticks to the table.  After the rack is removed, the powder on the table can be re-used.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal