Author Topic: Starrett Tap Handle  (Read 1178 times)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Starrett Tap Handle
« on: May 05, 2019, 03:40:04 PM »
Several months ago, I purchased a pair of Starrett tap handles.  I got the No. 93-b and No. 93-c.  The Starrett tools I have are great, and I’ve been quite pleased with them, which is why I decided to spring for some expensive tap handles.

After getting them, I have used the small one (93-c) many times and just love it!

However, I recently went to use the larger one (93-b) and found that it holds taps at a nice jaunty angle – way off from the center line of the tool, as you can see in this picture.  The one on the left is the larger, 93-b, all cockeyed.   The one on the right is the small 93-c, which works just wonderfully.

This is very unfortunate because it makes it nearly impossible to use this tap handle to tap!  I’m afraid I’m going to break the tap because the handle sticks off in a bizarre direction. You can see this in the picture below.

I checked the Starrett web site and they have a 6 month warrantee against defect.  Unfortunately, I purchased this more than 6 months ago. I had just never used the larger tap handle till now. :(

I’ve written to them to ask if they will exchange it for a working one, and we’ll see what they say. I hope so.  I know it’s just a tap handle, but it’s not a cheap one. Nothing from Starrett is.  And it just kind a bums me that this quality issue escaped. And maybe even more, that I didn’t even think to check on it.

Well, we’ll see how it goes…
Kim

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: Starrett Tap Handle
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 04:55:56 PM »
Kim being that it’s a manufacture defect I don’t think they will argue with you and give you a replacement!

Don

Offline petertha

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 04:59:10 PM »
Sorry to hear about this & hope you get it resolved with vendor. I have Starrett conventional tap handles & they are excellent tools, a pleasure to use. A few years ago I bought a Starrett dial bore gage & it had many signs of offshore cheesyness. Maybe a Monday morning model. I exchanged it for another brand. I've heard some of the normal line they have farmed out to Asia with QC but along with that comes the potential issues. Its probably worth disassembly for a look-see. From what I recall its a pair of jaws & a spring, kind of a birds beak mechanism. You might find some swarf or other obstruction & its an easy fix. At minimum if its deficient machining all the more info to pass on & get an exchange/refund.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 05:46:05 PM »
Thanks Don, I hope you are right!  That's my hope too!

Thanks Petertha,
Yes, I've had it open and it's just as you describe. No swarf in the mechanism.  It just seems the the bird beek, as you excellently described it, just doesn't come together squarely.  And I don't want to attempt to "fix" anything since that would certainly void any warranty.

The smaller one is just a joy to use, as you say.  I hope the larger one can be too :)

Kim
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 05:05:51 AM by Kim »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 06:10:44 PM »
Not sure if these are offshore now or not. They well could be. In any case I would expect the company to make it good and will be sorely disappointed if they don't. Please keep us posted on what you hear back Kim.

Bill

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 05:57:49 AM »
Well, I wanted to follow-up on my sad story about my Starrett Tap handle.

I never received a reply from my email, so a few weeks ago I called Starrett customer support.  They nice lady who I talked with told me that my tap handle was out of warranty, so she couldn't give me a RMA number for it. But that I should send it back to them with a note and see what they would do for me.

So, I figured, what do I have to lose?  I wrote a nice note, and shipped the note and the tap handle back to Starrett about 2 weeks ago.

Today, I got home from work and what was waiting there for me but a little box from Starrett.  And it had a shiny new tap handle in it!  I checked it immediately and sure enough, it looks great!  The tap sticks out nice and straight!  :cartwheel:

I couldn't be more pleased!

They stood behind their product even though I didn't address it within the official warranty period.  It was, clearly, a workmanship problem, but still, they were within their legal rights to tell me to go pound sand.  But they didn't.  They fixed it for me right.  And I am a satisfied customer of the fine Starrett Tool company! :)

Thanks for listening to my saga!
Kim
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 07:11:03 AM by Kim »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 12:49:23 PM »
Glad to hear there was a happy ending to the story. The cost of the tap handle to them is nothing compared to the cost of a bad reputation and they, unlike many these days, realize that. Enjoy the new handle Kim!!  And thanks for reporting the resolution as well, in this case a good one.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal